Post subject: Re: Bros Garage - 1980 Toyota Corona
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:16 am 

Wait wait wait...what??

You just got it!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:46 pm 

LOL.. those patches almost line up...
here you go...

Can't believe you're selling it already!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:29 am 

CoronaGTR wrote:
Nice... I have a 79 that wasn't so clean when I got it. I did a color change, and a lot of mods.

Here's a short video when I was at Willow Springs here in California: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mif5fmF7ivs

I put a 78-81 Celica lowering spring/sway bar/shock/strut on it, 83-85 Celica Rotors/84 Cressida calipers up front and a Supra LSD in the rear. I made some custom gauges, as well as 85 GTS Sport seats and a few other things here and there.

It's a different car, but it's basically a Celica in the engine compt and suspension. have fun....

For the celica lowering springs did you have to do any modifing to make them fit.did the rest of the suspension fit right with out moding it to fit because i need elp on the suspension on my 79 liftback

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:30 am 

brosgarage wrote:
Yea, It is a 1 owner car with 95,000 original miles! For my suspension, I will be running a set of coilovers off a ae86. They are the megan coils. To have them fit, I have to buy a modified top hat for the front which t3 is making and also I am purchasing a panhard bar from them. I can't wait to have it slammed with the exhaust and wheels!

can you link the websites were your buying your suspension parts
please and thanks - abraham

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:55 am 

No mods necessary to install the coil springs, front or rear. Originally, I used the entire strut assembly from my wrecked 78 Celica and it bolted into the Corona directly.

Now I'm using the Corona strut with the Celica lowering spring - no issues at all.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:49 am 

CoronaGTR wrote:
No mods necessary to install the coil springs, front or rear. Originally, I used the entire strut assembly from my wrecked 78 Celica and it bolted into the Corona directly.

Now I'm using the Corona strut with the Celica lowering spring - no issues at all.

OK thanks so much what coilover are you using, because i want to go with the EiBach lowering coilovers and what are your rim size

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:12 pm 

I don't have coilovers at this time, I'll probably get a generic set and have my friend do the welding for me. I've seen a few examples here and I like what they did, so I'll probably search and follow what was done.

My wheels are 17x7 Enkei's. I want to go wider and put a set of staggered wheels on the car... but that's down the road a ways at this time.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:26 am 

CoronaGTR wrote:
I don't have coilovers at this time, I'll probably get a generic set and have my friend do the welding for me. I've seen a few examples here and I like what they did, so I'll probably search and follow what was done.

My wheels are 17x7 Enkei's. I want to go wider and put a set of staggered wheels on the car... but that's down the road a ways at this time.

do you think the coilovers would fit and i have my rims ordered already XXR 17x8 tires are hankook evo v12s

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:08 pm 

Stig_corona wrote:
do you think the coilovers would fit and i have my rims ordered already XXR 17x8 tires are hankook evo v12s

Yes, they should work with no issues. Remember: anything that works on a 78-81 Celica front suspension will work on the the 78-81 Corona Sedan and Liftbacks, and just the front on a 79-81 Wagon.

I know someone who did the coilover on a 1980 wagon, I think it is, and it's worked well for him. I have the camber plates that I got from T3, but they don't work without a coilover set up.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:35 pm 

CoronaGTR wrote:
Stig_corona wrote:

Yes, they should work with no issues. Remember: anything that works on a 78-81 Celica front suspension will work on the the 78-81 Corona Sedan and Liftbacks, and just the front on a 79-81 Wagon.

I know someone who did the coilover on a 1980 wagon, I think it is, and it's worked well for him. I have the camber plates that I got from T3, but they don't work without a coilover set up.

ok cool. do you know where i can get a full exhuast for the 20r motor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:18 am 

I don't know anyone that makes one for these older cars, but a Thorley header and a muffler shop is about it. About a 2.25-2.5 inch pipe and a Walker Turbo muffler sound pretty good on mine. I still have the cat (California) but I'm happy with the current set up.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:33 pm 

CoronaGTR wrote:
I don't know anyone that makes one for these older cars, but a Thorley header and a muffler shop is about it. About a 2.25-2.5 inch pipe and a Walker Turbo muffler sound pretty good on mine. I still have the cat (California) but I'm happy with the current set up.

Well my brother found that he can run catless on his car and we live in cali to and thanks for the information corona you helped my alot in my search

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:20 pm 

anytime.
I didn't know if OC was Ca or NY (never would have thought NY except for OC Choppers). You're just up the road from me, then, I'm near Menifee.

I actually took the exhaust system off my wrecked Celica and put it on this car... exact fit. Kind of a cookie cutter car, but I'm glad that it was!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:54 pm 

what hood emblem is that?! picture PLEASE!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:37 pm 

biohazard989 wrote:
what hood emblem is that?! picture PLEASE!!!

which one

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:12 pm 

OMG

its all i could say for now....

mine needs restoration, the rust is eating the car faster than I can save money for a body repair :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:26 pm 

Seens i have the lliftback edtion i was wondering if the Carbon Creations Carbon Fiber 1984-1987 Toyota Corolla HB Wangan Wing Spoiler would fit my corona

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:42 pm 

I'm ordering an LC Engineering header for my '75 Corona (20R). I did a little online research and most folks find the LC Engineering header better made than the Thorley. Just my two cents! Good luck with build.

Julius

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:31 am 

The header depends on what you want for power... the Thorley is a tri-Y, whereas the LCE is a 4-into-1. The difference in design is that the tri-Y will give you better bottom end and the 4-into-1 will give you better top end. LCEngineering does a lot for circle track racers who are high in the powerband, so the 4-into-1 is better suited for that.

I've read articles that showed a 4-into-1 with higher top end hp than the tri-Y by a couple hp, but the same article said the 4-into-1 lost power over the stock manifold at mid-range. The tri-Y in those tests bested the 4-into-1 by a few horsepower at the same spot.

I have the Thorley in my Corona and it's got plenty of power - especially in the bottom end, the LCE I have in my truck has decent top end power. But I find that I'm downshifting on big hills in the truck, whereas I never have to downshift with the Corona on the same hill. Granted, the Corona is lighter, has a weber carb and a TRD cam and the truck is EFI without a cam, but still... the powerband for each is noticably different.

All that said, I would love to try an LCE on the Corona just to see the difference for myself.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:18 am 

What happened to all the NC people in this thread. I am in NC near Charlotte and I am looking for fellow old school japanese enthusiasts. If your in NC and have a old Japanese ride hit me up......btw Brosgarage......did you sell that Corona?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 4   [ 80 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4