#
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:09 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 37 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: strange 70s corolla need help have no idea!!!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:35 pm 

ok let me throw another chink in the item as well...its a factory 5 speed..hahahahahah wierd ass car
too cool not to keep digging. and yes you found the description I found as well, kinda of funny it lists this but no production numbers...keep it coming guys Im enjoying this so far

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:44 pm 

balc24 wrote:
ok let me throw another chink in the item as well...its a factory 5 speed..hahahahahah wierd ass car

That's quite common. Never actually seen a sport coupe with a 4spd.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:45 pm 

And when discussing Japanese cars, it's not kosher to say "chink".

:P

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:51 pm 

hahahahahahah I didnt even catch that but the guy above does have his description right. According to Toyota's build sheets for the year. The code stamped shows the car as a 4 sp liftback deluxe...car is a 5 sp. The other post about the wheels being toyota..yes. found they came on coronas and some rally celicas in mid and late 70s. Was this a factory frankenstein...Im beiginning to think this is a Johnny Cash psycobilly corollalii 8) c

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:55 am 

datsunfreak wrote:
That's quite common. Never actually seen a sport coupe with a 4spd.

Me neither. 5 speed Deluxe would be LMDA. This is like Shelby status!
But the 4 speed transmission is really the same transmission without the fifth gear... super easy to make it a 5 speed. Even if "numbers matching" is your angle, nobody cares. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:35 am 

YEAH WHO CARES, SOOOO AMERICAN TO TRY AND MATCH NUMBERS HAHHAHAH.
Actually, with Porsche I learned quickly that what a build sheet says and what it came out as was easily two different things. This little corolla surely is a frakenstein but different is cool right?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:29 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Great find.Now you know about the big secret in classic cars.

I bought my orange car in 2003 from S.C. with window sticker and "sunchaser sports package" listed as dealer installed.It was sold in Florida.

Your car is a 76 and for that year you could buy another corolla with factory flares which was a SR5 te37 corolla sport coupe.

It looks like your rear spoiler is slightly different as it is fitted to a liftback.
There is also a front spoiler which connects to the 2 front flares.

I would be curios to know how the flares are attached to the car,PLEAESE CHECK AND LMK.

My vin has all factory info and nothing for added sunchaser option cause it is dealer installed.Which I think was offered in the southeast yota dealerships.

I've had 3 other liftbacks and one was a 76 deluxe 4speed no dash tach.

Your car has no rear wiper so you can fit a rear aluminum shadow louver.I had one on another liftback but had to unplug my rear wiper cause of the center rib on louver sits directly on the glass.

Not sure about the louvers for the 2 side 1/4 windows.

The only other Sunchaser info you find is for the griffith 79-81 celicas.

I've pasted some links of my "Sunchaser" below.

whit--New york

I've pasted some links of my "Sunchaser" below.
http://3tcgarage.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6932
http://3tcgarage.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1687&start=0
http://3tcgarage.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7148&start=0

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:38 am 

THE GREAT WHIT..
they said you would chime in eventually...it was your car that real got me working on finding the history behind this one. yes spoiler looks a bit odd compared to yours. The body moldings dont have visable bolts in them on underside or bondo coverlet dimples. They are metal and yes lip spoiler is missing. I agree it looks more like the model you mentioned or atleast some of the codes but doorplaque and engine plaque are definatley unmolested and show the above info....strange as hell
mystery continues

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:35 am 

I'm glad some one saved that car. I know I would of if I had the cash. Looks like the interior is in nice shape too. There is a guy down in Jacksonville Fl that parts out corollas of that vintage, He has a nice sr5 wagon. He might have most of any missing or broken trim for your car. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Zapata-Au ... 4430641227

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:49 am 

Good Luck with your build. That definately is a rare corolla considering there are not many sunchaser packaged corollas out there. I must say Whit's was the first one I ever saw and this liftback the second. Definately worth restoring. :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:28 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Well I don't know about the "Great" part, I thought it was just my mother that called me that. :lol:

Ya I kinda had a lot of the same discussions when I first grabbed my TE51. :?
Its just what car manufactures and dealers were offering towards the end of the 70's.It was the style at the time.
I pasted some examples below to CLICK ON!

The VIN on our yotas will not show any other info other than production build options and model.
The "Griffith Celica Sunchasers" have some added I.D. plates on them but these are from the company that did the conversions and nothing to do with Toyota other than a licensing agreement.
So there is really no big mystery with our cars.Just the info on the accessories and when and where and how it was all offered?

With your car it would be great to track down the rest of the items offered for the "Sunchaser" package and complete it.

But first maybe locate a 76-77 SR5 TE-51 and swap all that stuff.You must get a early TE51 as the dashes are completly different after about late 1977. :idea:

Early TE51 like yours has a 1 piece dash with a 2 piece dash face.
Later TE51 has 2 piece dash and 1 piece dash face. :x

You could get either a Liftback or Sport Coupe to do this swap as your are just interested in the interior and
if you want the grill also the SR5 has its own mesh pattern.I added the lights in my grill but it is not a SR5 grill.

I will check my dealer window sticker for the cost at the time to add the "Sunchaser" package and what was all included. :tu:

We will be watching the transformation of your unique Corolla. 8)

Whit--New York :wink:

:tu: http://www.google.com/imgres?q=amc+with ... =104&ty=92 :td:

:tu: http://www.google.com/imgres?q=mustang+ ... hCA&zoom=1 :td:

:tu: http://www.google.com/imgres?q=aspen+rt ... gCA&zoom=1 :td:

:tu: http://www.google.com/imgres?q=77+rx3+s ... =125&ty=75 :td:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:56 pm 

definately.. I am so giddy..my fiance looked like I was crazy she said I had a school boy grin all day when I was talking about doing this ect. I just smiled and walked away. She truly thinks Im nuts. Appreciate the shout out from Kingston Ga, Im not far from you. I am the direstor at Cobb County Kia. I just bought a second home in Waleska so I didnt have to commute 109 miles one way from Helen. I still have the predicament that I have to find somewhere to store 27 cars. Some will stay in Helen at my shop but this little YODA(my daughters favorite star wars character) is on the lift first. Bumped all my other projects so it will get undivided attention for the next two months. I would love to have a scanned copy of that package list from your window sticker if you get a chance whit and I do appreciate everyone. I posted this on three other sites and everyone was rude and told me to burn it, it wasnt worth keeping ect. I really do appreciate it and as I always tell my staff, If you can find the one thing that makes you smile(even a little yellow frankencorolla) Its what life is about.
Thanks
Daniel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:12 pm 

i was looking at this same car to buy it but i went the 84 Celica route, awesome car and better find.

With, your Orange TE51 is the best example of a TE51 i have ever see in the whole world buddy, and the black wheels looks just beautiful you need to do a real photo shoot of your car by professional photo artist in a studio, that will be just awesome!

Trust me i i had the $$$ to sponsor you that photo shoot i wouldn't hesitate to do it ASAP!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:28 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Ya this summer I will try to hook up with someone to do some high quality pics.

Below is my next favorite TE51.

:tu: http://3tcgarage.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5254 :td:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:32 pm 

sounds like my '74 S5 corolla. It's the last year TE27 with the federal 15mph big ugly bumpers, No factory fender flares. The bean counters at Toyota corporate deleted that option because the fenders actually had a different stamped steel design than the regular delux chassis. It has all the same options as the SR-5 (tach and 5speed).

I believe this to be the rarest model of TE-27 in the world because it was a north american product only, possibly US only model

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:51 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Very-Rar ... 417246d117

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:22 am 

Is this the same Car? I love the part about it being imported direct from Japan. Did they swap the steering column and all the gauges over the us specs too? :roll: This is not to rare at all just a stock 76 Liftback with dealer add on. All lift backs got the 5 speed because with out it the extra weight of the rear roof and glass would effect the gas mileage. Maybe it is a sr5 but it not no rare one of a kind. This car most likely has some vintage add on parts from the time period. I mean you can see the 80's tach and other gauges bolted to the dash. also how come there is never a pic of the engine bay and the vin plate there? I did a quick Google search and found a image of the finder flares you might be able to buy one. http://www.toyotapartsoverstock.com/ima ... B9426D.jpg
I cant wait in maybe 20 years some one will find a mid 90's Honda in a barn with a body kit. The eBay auction will be like I found this one off super import from Japan!! :lol:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 37 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2