#
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:41 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 6 of 10   [ 184 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Norwegian Toyota Cressida RX30 2JZ-GE project
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:34 pm 

yyz78 wrote:
fredriksoerlie wrote:
Having said that, I did say I would ask him, and I'm guessing that once it's in place it's not a problem to share. It's just that the combination of parts used to achieve 60° of steering lock is a bit creative, and as he's running a workshop with focus on KE70 and AE86 drift cars, he doesn't want to share until it's finished. It is after all what he does for a living... If I was to do the conversion myself, it would obviously be different!

This ^ I can understand, .....although I highly doubt there are that many people running around throwing steering racks on 30 year old cars....not exactly some huge market

Well, it doesn't have to be a huge market if you're the only one that has actually figured it out. The thing is, what we are doing is nothing special. It's just a creative combination of parts that no one seems to have thought of yet. If it works we will get quite a lot more steering lock than you would normally get without custom or modified parts. And it's a result of a lot of measuring and research on different options, so if he doesn't want to share it on a forum, that's something we have to respect, right?

I'm seriously not trying to be a dick, and I can't see why this is a big deal. Especially since I was prepared to share it privatly to whoever wants to know. It's just not ready to be published...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:03 pm 

Cool....not a big deal.....understand he doesn't want to publish.....will pm you in the future

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:27 pm 

yyz78 wrote:
Cool....not a big deal.....understand he doesn't want to publish.....will pm you in the future

And I'll do my best to get you as much info as I can.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:04 am 

A small update as we start to see some progress :)

This weekend we took a trip to Denmark to source some parts that we couldn't find (or are to expensive) in Norway. David, Alex and myself borrowed my dads Hiace and got on the ferry friday evening. We arrived in Denmark early saturday morning and headed out on the road for a three hour drive to motorimport.dk, a shop specializing in jdm parts. David was looking for parts to his not yet purchased MR2 project, and I needed parts for my Cressida. We ended up loading the car with a Beams engine and a few Altezza transmissions for David, whereas I got an EVOVIII radiator, Caldina front brakes, a spare W58 with the correct shifter and an AE86 steering column. All for less than $150!

There still some work left to do, but after giving up on modifying the stock subframe (impossible to get an MX32 subframe in Scandinavia, and as we have to modify it to fit the steering rack anyway, I didn't bother to order from somewhere else), David fabricated a new subframe. Definately a better solution, as I now have 6 different mounting points for the lower suspension arms, allowing more camber and clearance. Here's a pic of the subframe at a very rough stage:

As soon as the subframe and steering is done, we will drop the engine in. Then we have to sort out the throttle, wiring, fuel supply etc, but it shouldn't be too much of a challenge for David :)

I've also ordered a front chin spoiler and a few other bits and pieces from EP-Importers in Japan. I'm also trying to find a set of new Tokico HTS dampers, and hope to get them fitted while the car is off the road anyway.

As for future plans, I've finally decided on three dual 47mm OER carburetors, as I think they will fit nicely on the 2JZ. I debated it a little, but it's just makes more sense to me to run carbs on a vintage car like this. It will also be the cheaper solution, as we don't need a new engine management system.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:36 am 

Love to see how the carbs turn out....my wiring has been a huge pain, and I may have to go aftermarket ecu :cry:

You think it would be possible to modify a stock crossmember to accept a steering rack?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:59 pm 

yyz78 wrote:
Love to see how the carbs turn out....my wiring has been a huge pain, and I may have to go aftermarket ecu :cry:

You think it would be possible to modify a stock crossmember to accept a steering rack?

I guess that depends. My car is a RX30 with the 18R engine, so it's probably very different from the one with the 4M. We had a go at modifying, but decided against it, as we are rebuilding the whole front suspension anyway. With the new crossmember, we also moved the control arms out an inch or so to gain more camber. We are also making some custom mods to get rid of bump steer and positive camber gain. It's all a bit confusing to me, but I will post some images when it's bolted back together. That should make more sense :P

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:55 pm 

Turns out we need the engine a couple of inches further back than what the custom cross member will allow for in it's current state. Not a big deal, but we will have to cut and weld a bit more. Unless I can find a MA61 crossmember that is.

Anyway, we had the engine in on friday for test fitting, and it all looks very nice apart from the floorpan hitting the crossmember.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:32 am 

Engine is now bolted in place, and we're now working on the fuel supply (new fuel lines and a catch tank in the boot) and the electronics. We have also started on the exhaust which will be a dual 2" system all the way. I've decided on the dual pipes to try and mimic the sound of the old Hakosuka racecars as much as possible :D

This week I recieved some goodies in the mail as well. From TechnoToyTuning I got the stronger and shorter steering arms, RCAs and weld on LCA kit, and from Kurumamotoring I got a set of short stroke Tokico HTS dampers. Haven't quite decided on springs yet though. Any suggestions?

I've also bought a front chin spoiler and a couple of Tsurikawas from Japan. Looking forward to getting to the point where they can be fitted :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:56 am 

One more thing. I've realised that there's no other option than adding fender flares, as I need the extra clearance. So the remaining question is: Black or blue?

Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:59 am 

I Love the black.

Celica GT RA40 1981
Celica ST TA40 1979
Carina Station wagon 1997
Carina sedan 1996

http://www.jdmwheels.cz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:01 am 

Blue fender flares, imo.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:37 am 

Hey I was wondering where did you get that chin spoiler from?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:01 am 

nice work but no turbo no funn ;) :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:22 am 

rio wrote:

To each his own...
Rather have the response of NA in a lighter car like this than some straight line 'whoosh' machine'...x3 is pretty light,
power to weight will be nice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:02 am 

yyz78 wrote:
rio wrote:

To each his own...
Rather have the response of NA in a lighter car like this than some straight line 'whoosh' machine'...x3 is pretty light,
power to weight will be nice

EXACTLY ^^^^^
my jzx32(2jzge VVTI) is quite fast with only headers and an intake.although im getting used to the power its still so much fun.

great work btw n that custom xmember, any chance your fab guy could make another and ship it to the USA ?
rack n pinion steering is the next challenge for MY jzx32 so any help would be greatly appreciated
so awesome to see people doing great work on the x3 ive been alone for years now LOL

also , are you stickin gwith the rota sakura's ? maybe i missed something but you should be fine without the flares. if I DID miss something, ive always been a fan of color matched flares(like mine) BUT the black on blue does have its own sense of beauty to it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:12 am 

BuzzBomber wrote:
besides....why give everything you've done away so everyone can copy your ideas? kinda nice seeing everyone have something different ya know :tu:

right there with ya on that one... a guy made an exact clone of my x3 in a different country.
asking which parts for this and which parts for that...
so something like this, i completely understand why your friend would want to keep it hush hush.
but i am EXTREMELY interested in that xmember so if you could pm me info(in time of coarse)
id do my very best to return the favor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:35 am 

Also very interested in Xmember and would be willing to pay....in time keep us posted, and hopefully I can pm you about it....
Are you keeping stock rear axle?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:14 pm 

rio wrote:

I beg to differ. A turbo has no place in a 1977 Cressida. NA power for the win!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:16 pm 

I just asked him about the crossmember, and he was positive. He just needs to make some calculations to see if he can make it for a reasonable price :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:23 pm 

Great stuff, thankyou sir :tu:
can't wait to hear what it sounds like with that exhaust!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 6 of 10   [ 184 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next