#
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:48 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: 72 corona RT95 build
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:47 pm 

I picked up a sweet 72 corona hardtop the other month and thought I'd share some progress.

Got some nice KYB Gas-A-Just shocks and installed them along with a couple Addco sway bars, 7/8" front & 3/4" rear, man what a difference! The thing is on rails now and it's not even lowered at all yet.

Next up I stripped the valve cover and gave it a nice satin brushed finish and added a cannon intake manifold and weber 40 DCOE side draft carb and fuel pressure regulator. It's tuned pretty well now and the old 18RC motor has really come to life. I also converted the distributor from points over to a pertronix electronic system and upgraded coil.

The clearance between the carb and the brake master is tight so I decided to fab up a nice air intake/filter. I started with an aftermarket filter base plate and built on it from there...

Rough start to the foam plug

Plug ready for final sanding and waxing

Final fiberglass/carbon part pulled from the plug with a bit of filler on it to smooth things out

Primed and test fit on the base plate that I powder coated black... just final sanding and paint left. I also have a nice foam filter on the way that will slip on to the intake tube.

I also had to pull the tank and strip it inside and out since it had been sitting for years and was disgusting inside and clogging the fuel filter

Tank pulled and some new weather seal laid down after an hour removing all the nasty factory contact cement

Shiny re-painted tank ready to go back in

The new wheels for the car also just arrived from japan the other day! 14x6 old school Dunlops manufactured in 1976 by TOPY in Japan for Dunlop. They look very similar to Hayashi racing streets but are a little nicer I think with the additional slots around the inner ring.

Soda blasted and masking for powder coating... man does masking these suck...

As recieved...and restored! Going with a satin brushed finish rather than full polish as it's more period correct and looks great on these wheels

Mocking one of the new wheels up on the rear of the car. I love how they keep the 8 spoke look of the original hubcaps

That's it for now. I'm going to do some re-wiring and engine bay cleanup this weekend and will post pics of the finished air intake installed etc.

Post subject: Re: 72 corona RT95 build
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:22 am 

First off, cool car. I do not see a lot of these around, especially the 2 door versions. I like that you are doing a DIY approach to your build. Your carb hat looks good, and I love that you refinish your wheels too. I always enjoy these kinds of builds. Keep the updates coming.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:10 pm 

Well done I particularly like your work on the air box. Sweet car.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:59 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

What a beauty! 8) I've always really liked the various Corona coupe's, and this particular version is certainly among the better ones. Very cool...
She looks to be i stunning condition too!
Best of luck with those small projects... :wink:

Best Regards,
Anders.

JDM '77 Toyota Trueno Sprinter 1600GT (TE61)
+ a handful of classic BMW's from the 60's and 70's.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:40 am 

Very nice - looks really clean and great choice of wheels! :tu:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:07 am 

nice build.

alberta?

there was one of these in a field near lethbridge.

pete

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:25 pm 

Thanks for the comments everyone!
Quote:
alberta?

there was one of these in a field near lethbridge.

Yes I'm in Alberta. Do you have any info on the car in Lethbridge Pete? It would be great to find another one! PM me if you do thanks!

I didn't get any wire/hose re-routing & cleanup done this week but did manage to run the stock vacuum advance to the weber dcoe 40 carb and re-tune the engine. It's working much better than expected for something that's not supposed to work! It's pulling vacuum signal from one of the weber balance ports with an adapter and is getting 15" of vacuum at idle, 5"-7" at light throttle cruise on the highway and 0" under light acceleration and above. This should help with the fuel economy a bit.

You can see the temporary vacuum line in the below photo with a T off to a vacuum gauge I wedged in the windshield wiper for testing. I also got the air box & filter on but still need to run the crank case venting to an oil catch can and then to the air box so for now it's just capped off with a filter.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]