#
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:24 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: Distributor Assembly compatibility for MX32
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:30 pm 

So, I don't actually have a cressy (yet) I'm looking into purchasing one (1980) but the distributor is shot? Anyways I am looking to replace it so I can drive it home asap!

I was looking at new distributors and saw a replacement part here.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp ... CL3*16062#

On the bottom it says that the oem part number is "O.E.M. Number: 1910043030"

Now this part number is for 81-83 Cressidas and the 5ME Motor. Would this be compatible with my 1980 MX32 or will it not fit? I tried called a dealership and some shops and I keep getting conflicting answers. I tried looking at diagrams and although the part numbers for the certain parts appear to match I'm worried that It won't fit.

Any help would be appreciated guys.

Thank You

Post subject: Re: Distributor Assembly compatibility for MX32
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:03 pm 

Not sure what you are paying, but Rock Auto has some for $47. I've used them for parts for my MX32 and they've always come through.

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/catalog.php

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:28 am 

thanks for that link what a wonderful resource! Unfortunately I drove 3 hours to find out that it is not the distributor and has something to do with the ignition, possibly the resister or coil. On top of that it has rust along the rear bumper, I wonder if it is worth it to salvage this, I don't want him to junk it but at the same time it will require a lot more work than I would prefer.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:46 am 
JNC Enthusiast

If the only rust is along the bumper, get it. The ignition issue shouldn't be hard to track down. I would imagine that you can replace the entire ignition with something newer. A lot of the Toyota distributors swap from engine to engine. The electronic ignition from the 22R can be swapped to the earlier points style 20R. So I would think that if the MX32 has points, you can swap in the 5ME electronic stuff with some simple rewiring.

Oh yeah, pics of said car would help us to decide if it is worth your money or not.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:11 am 

Yea it did have some exterior damage along with some damage to the right fender which also looks like it affected the frame. I didn't take a picture but it definitely had signs of repair (from trying to straiten out damage with a hammer) I don't mind some of the cosmetic stuff that much but the damage rust/accident makes me want to rethink this. I guess I mispoke by calling it the "bumper but it would be where the rear of the car that attaches to the bumper. Also not pictured is some rust and bubbling on the rocket panel which can't be a good sign.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:29 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

That front fender bender most likely didn't damage the frame, but the rust along the rear window and tulip panel would make me second guess the purchase. If there is rust there, you can pretty much bet the rockers are toast along with the trunk and rear quarters. If the price was low enough, it might make it worth it, but I would save my money and look for a better example.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:28 pm 

Actually, the fender looks like it has been replaced because I can see damage on the inside engine bay. Yeah I might have to pass up on this. How much would you pay for this? He will probably get more from junking it than I would offer him but it will be sad to see another one disappear.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:38 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

If you could get it running, 500$ wouldn't be bad, but I am a cheap bastard! :lol: Get it and drive it till you find a better one, then part it out so that others may live...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:03 am 

i paid way less than $500 for mine. it has rust but it's confined to a small section of the rear quarter, nothing on the frame, sills, wheel arches or around the glass. that's a $300 car at best, only usable for parting out.

BUT if you can snag it, there are always people who can benefit from having the glass, interior pieces if they aren't too trashed, exterior trim and other random stuff. maybe make a couple hundred in profit that you can put towards a cleaner example.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:58 am 

Awesome thanks for the quick replies I appreciate it tremendously. I will make the decision soon and if anything will have to use this as a donor car for another cleaner foundation.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]