#
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:50 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]
 Post subject: 1970 MS55 Crown
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:36 pm 

I thought I would start a thread for a car I just purchased from JNCer Yotaman. It will make a beautiful addition to my Cressida once it is fully refinished. It certainly isn't in the best shape but it has some massive upsides. All the glass is intact, the original motor runs, and it is a factory 4spd, which is simply unheard of in Canada. The car isn't at home yet, but here are the pictures I have so far, showing the good and the bad.

There are a fair amount of half-done repairs and bondo on the body panels but the frame seems solid. Aside from the driver's side floor pan and the rockers most of the body seems salvageable. We'll know more once I get it home and set to work with a wire wheel and a grinder.

More to come, comments and suggestions are more than welcome. The short term plan is to shore up the body as best as possible to prevent further corrosion. A full body restoration will be done once I finish school, for now I just want to get it driving again and looking decent.

Post subject: Re: 1970 MS55 Crown
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:28 am 

Nice pick up. Gotta be committed when dealing with rust, 90% of the time it turns out to be worse than you think initially.

Look at my 1988 YN55, this was a LOLWUT moment after removing the carpet:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:31 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Is the dashpad good :tu:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:28 pm 

The dash pad is so good it's invisible! It was removed at some point, probably due to horrendous cracking. The interior of the car will be removed once it is in my garage and the berber that is standing in as carpet will be removed as well. The pans look alright other than the driver's. I do expect to find more, however.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:29 pm 

The car is up on stands now and we are getting better acquainted. It has become clear that this car needs a LOT more work than first anticipated, (surprise surprise) so the plan now is a complete rebuild. The driveline is still solid, or so it seems, and the frame needs to be boxed in at one point to strengthen it. For the most part, though, we seem to have a solid starting point. Pictures and more details to come later this weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:22 pm 

Alright, as promised here some more pictures of the journey so far. The car has already has far too many "repairs" in its day to try and patch it back up. It's time to get serious on it, so I am going full out in stripping it down, just shy of going frame off.

On the truck headed home

Poking around the car and looking at the condition of the rear end I decided that this would probably be the most difficult and most frustrating section to work on, so I decided to start with it while enthusiasm is still at its peak. It didn't take much time to show that I have a TON of work ahead of me.

The angle of the sun helped show just much attention this side will need

The passenger side has seen a bit of metal put in. I'm not a metal expert, but if I had to guess I'd say that isn't automotive metal. Still, it was shaped quite nicely. Thoughts from anyone on welding that piece in properly and re-using it? Will it be appropriate metal if prepared properly?

The driver's side has a piece from a different car patched into it, held together with rivets. The unblemished and shiny paint underneath the marker light is probably the last bit left that shows how nice the paint once was.

The trunk floor isn't terrible, but it isn't great. The spare tire well has no floor, it was patched with sheet metal and, again, rivets. This will be removed and replaced with a proper piece. The passenger side of the trunk has a very large hole where it attached to the wheel well, and the entire seam along the fender is completely gone, with another hole under the tail light. Both had been lazily filled with a fibreglass which came out in comedic blobs.

Here is the current state of the car. Trunk lid removed for refinishing, tail lights and trim have all been removed from the back of the car. Took a ridiculous amount of effort since a previous owner had lost some hardware and simply..attached everything with more silicone.

Next up: I need to get the bumper off properly. The bolts sheared off on the one side, so that was easy enough, but the chrome bolts spun on the driver's side rather than the bolt itself shearing off so that will take some cutting.

The rear corner trim of the tail lights is also being held in by silicone and I am having a heck of a time removing it without causing damage. Any tips from anyone on this?

Once it stops snowing I'll be back at it and I'll get the bumper off and properly strip off all the fibreglass, paint and bondo. More to come.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:50 am 

That left rear 1/4 panel looks bad indeed. Good luck with the repairs, looking forward to the updates.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:53 pm 

Yowza, that rust...but what a worthy project! Manual Crowns are such a splendid rarity.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:34 pm 

I was able to spend another few hours with the care today, so here is a quick summary of the new progress.

Body filler. Dear god the body filler. If anyone has a better method for removing body filler (up to 5mm thick in some places) beyond just grinding the crap out of it PLEASE feel free to share.

Continued to grind down the passenger quarter. More and more of it just kept falling off in large chunks of fibreglass. It has become apparent that my only option here is going to be cutting a big chunk of the panel off to expose the inner fender wall so that I can seal that up as well. Then I will have to reconstruct the outer panel and put it back together. My main worry with that is being able to maintain the original dimension of the wheel well, so much has rotted away.

Which made the true state of the trunk and fender well even more apparent..

And then I found some frame rust which will have to be boxed in..

And then I got super discouraged. So I decided to take on some work with immediate visible results and finished taking out the sound deadening on the front floor and removed the interior from the front half of the car.

Then I relaxed and had a beer in the back seat.

And lastly, a technical question for everyone. My brake lines have failed somewhere and I am not sure where. I am going to replace the lines for the whole car (45 years old after all) but there is this..thing..half way down the body. Does anyone have any idea what this rusted out husk of technology is? When I re-run the brake line can I simply tun a straight line or is this some obscure part I will have to replace?

Cheers all

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:14 am 

It looks like a rear brake pressure regulator/proportioning valve. It controls brake bias. There are a number of aftermarket options for them.

Heres what I bought to replace my valve.
http://trackspeedengineering.com/produc ... cloa36b544

Heres another option
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Adjustabl ... Ogod1FsAsw

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12289
^Heres my build thread^

Packergreg wrote:
Hezath wrote:
Wagons pull the bitches

That's how they got the old expression "Wagons Ho!"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:57 am 

Dang! I was hopeful that it would not have gotten worse for you with the rust but I knew better. I had my own brush with rust on a 1979 MS85 Crown. I eventually turned my back on it and sold it for parts ($80) to another Crown fan. I hope you don't follow my example though. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:18 pm 

A quick update on this car, the rust has gotten worse yet again as I continue to work with it. I have decided that it is beyond my skill to repair and get back on the road. I am not going to let the car die though. I have decided that what is needed is a professional frame-off restoration. For a pro it shouldn't be too difficult since the car is so complete. But, with me starting my law degree this September cash is going to mothball this project. Car cover will be going on and the car will wait in my garage until I am done school. Then it will live again. Until then I will keep driving my X32 and collecting parts as I can afford them, particularly a new rear bumper, one piece of missing trim and new tail lights. See you all in 3 years!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:43 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Everytime someone posts an ms55 I have to say it... that's my dream car :D. Want a 510?! lol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:20 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Shame that it's stalled, but good on you for not giving up on the ol' girl!
Best of luck... :wink:

Best Regards,
Anders.

JDM '77 Toyota Trueno 1600GT Sprinter (TE61)
+ a handful of classic BMW's from the 60's and 70's.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:53 am 

That's a tough decision to make! I did the same thing with my car when I went back to school. Ended up being years before I got back to it, but now I am really enjoying the project.

Good luck in school!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]