#
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:25 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 27 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Once more into the abyss She is on the road now
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:08 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Ok, bought a 76 RA29 about 3 years ago. Started in on the build and got distracted. First was MkII Supras and then that led to Cressidas, specifically, the MX73 chassis. Well, I sold off both of my sedans(kept the wagon... I am not a complete idiot :lol: ) and started to look for something to replace them. After a couple of weeks of soul searching and what not I decided I needed to quit looking and get focused on the Celica. I went on Rock Auto and went on a spending spree. To that end, I got the first of the three boxes today.

New brake hoses for the front, upper and lower.

New cap, rotor and PCV valve

New clutch master and slave cylinders. I have two more parts cars, both 5 speed, but these were so stupid cheap, I had to buy them.

Last but not least, rebuilt calipers, one loaded, one not. Unfortunately, they only had one loaded caliper. Otherwise I would have bought two.

The front struts are broken down right now. The tubes are being de-rusted by electrolysis right now with the backing plates, springs and other bits to follow this weekend.
I have AE92 strut inserts coming for when I chop the springs. Ran by the local dealer today and ordered NOS dragons and script emblems. Still have valve cover gasket, Plugs, wires, radiator hoses and gaskets headed my way.

Rather than search for the thread, this is how she has looked for the past couple of years or so.

Wheels right now are going to be cressida steelies. That may change later, but it all depends on getting a 5 lug conversion done. To that end, I am also picking up a MkI Supra rear in the next week as well.

Last edited by OkieRA29 on Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:21 pm 

Glad to hear you're putting in some work on this. :tu: :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:21 am 

You sold the factory 5 speed X7?

- 1985 Toyota Celica GTS Convertible

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:57 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Yeah, it came down to keep the wife happy or live in the shed. She wanted me to sell the celica :( I am down to two cars and that makes her happy. The kid who bought the 5 speed is going more VIP-ish with it. He also has a TE27 and some other toyotas, so that at least is a silver lining. The kid who bought the 86 auto is going drifting with it. Got the strut tubes de-rusted and painted. AE92 Corolla short shocks are on their way to me. Gonna buy some shorter stiffer springs for it this week as well. Scored at the junkyard today. Got a full set of KYB AGX adjustables off of an RX7. Figure I will sell the fronts to one of the 240 crowd around here and see if I can fab something up for the rear of the Celica.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:03 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Here we go, start with one of these.

Take it completely apart and dunk it in this.

Attach one of these.

Wait a day or so and pull it out(okay, I pulled mine out and it prompty rained on me and it. When it comes out of the solution, it should be uniformly black and mine was.

Attack it with some of these.

Till it looks like this

Paint it right after to prevent rust from reappearing.

Both have since been painted semi gloss black with engine enamel. The dust shields and spring tops have been painted as well. The calipers in the first post are going to get a coat or two of silver caliper paint as I don't want two different colored calipers. I thought of painting them red and then writting Brembo with a black sharpie on them for giggles. The strut inserst(AE9x) should be here by the end of the week.
Plan right now is to have them back together and installed by sunday. I will definitely get some pics when they are back together to give a before and after comparison.

Oh yeah, helper cats are optional :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:08 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

First off, nothing better than NOS... fresh off the boat.

Second, spent the better part of today getting the front suspension back together. New calipers, pads, got the rotors turned. Bearings were good enough that I just cleaned and repacked them.

Hubs were the only thing I did not do anything restoring wise to. Just wire brushed them a bit and that was it. Reman calipers and new pads with the sensor bit and everything.

The strut inserts are out of an AE9x corolla with the springs cut 2 coils.
Here is me doing the suspension work...

There are cast iron pipe spacers at the bottom of the strut tubes. I have a buddy at work that is going to mill me some spacers when I get him the aluminium stock.

Gonna get the struts on tomorrow night and get the car back on four wheels and not the hillbilly jackstands it has been on for the last 2 years or so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:03 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

New height for the front, 15 Cressida Steel wheels...

Classic 'hard parking' stance

Still need to drop the rear a bit. I am figuring 2 coils from the rear as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:51 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Okay, a little bit more work done tonight. This X2...

Equals this...

Fender gap is a bit better now. I may still take another coil out of the rear yet, haven't really decided.

The tire is not centered, due to needing either a shorter or adjustable panhard bar in the back. Once that is straightened out the tires should sit better in the rear.
Oh yeah, I also put an extra script emblem on to see what they looked like. Definitely glad I grabbed a couple, cause they look soooooo much better than the block script that is there. Nicest thing, they fit right into the same holes!!!

Still haven't decided on the tires... the original owner called the other day and he had found the rims he bought for the car... American Racing Libres 14x8 or something like that, he wasn't sure. It would be cool to have the libres. Of course, I could turn around and sell them to the 510 crowd...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:03 am 

WOWaWEEWA!!!!!!! I love it! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:38 pm 

Looking nice , can't wait to see the final project. Keep up the good work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:18 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Now, I have been on vacation all week and it just seems that things have kept getting in the way of working on the celica. Finally got a few good hours in on her today. Earlier in the week, I had gotten a few little things done. Headlights are back on, so are the taillights. Today, though, I was determined to get her started. First, got the front brakes hooked up. Ended up having to reuse one of the old lines. I forgot the new one at the house. Then I needed to go grab some vaccum line. Then I needed some different crush washers for the fuel inlet on the carb. Then I couldn't get power to the fuel pump. Then, when I did get power to the pump, I could get fuel at the carb. All looked lost... Till I remembered that we had a lawn mower tank laying around. We had used it on a 210 to test its engine and transmission. I ran over, grabbed it and hooked it up to the carb....

http://s975.photobucket.com/albums/ae23 ... caruns.mp4

Cause I can't figure out the embedded thingie-a-ma-jiggie. Anyrate, I am gonna pick up about 12 feet of fuel hose and run a bypass on the hard line. I believe that it is clogged somewhere. I will then run a power line to the fuel pump with a toggle switch. Then bleed the brakes and she should be ready to drive. Eventually, I will bend new lines and get rid of the fuel hose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:19 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Well, just under the deadline...

After a week of chasing this...

This is how I started my weekend...
yes, the tag reads 76 heads, AWESOME!!!

I really don't care that I look like a dork, that smile ain't going no where.

One last carb adjustment and then the ride home. My buddy Dave shot video, but we need to download it and convert it. He shot it on High8, so it will be monday before the video is uploaded.

She now rests in the driveway.

I do need to figure out a breather and PCV solution.

Magically, my electrical gremlins went away. I was messing with it in the driveway and plugged the harness for the pump back in. Suddenly the fuel gauge sprung to life. So, the only logical thing was to take it for a drive. I drove her for about 45 minutes and not a hiccup. Don't know what happened, but I am not gonna try and figure it out.

I know how the kid on the tricycle at the end of 'The Incredibles' feels....

THAT, WAS, WICKED!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:46 pm 

Dude you should go for more of a ratty look.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:37 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

More ratty??? I do have another set of fenders in silver that I thought I would use. Maybe ziptie the front turn signals in place. I have a rusty ratty ass hatch in the same color as the hood. Maybe I should do the rusty hood thing too. I am just happy to be driving it. I did get a MkII Supra seat 'installed' today and drove it a lot more. Heck, I split my trips to Lowe's and such into multiples just so I could drive it more. The smile has not left my face all weekend. Unfortunately, because of work, I will not be able to drive it all week. I am on call and have to drive the company car home each night. Next week, I will drive it to and from work just about everyday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:42 pm 

OkieRA29 wrote:
Next week, I will drive it to and from work just about everyday.

Badass. :tu: :mrgreen:

So when you bringing it to a meet down here? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:16 am 
JNC Fanatic

WOO HOO!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Congrats Ken. I am glad you finally got it on the road. Can't wait till you bring it down here to meet.

81 TE75 Corolla SR5 Sport Coupe modified
Custom 93 Toyota minitruck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:27 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Well, considering I have driven it a grand total of 28 miles so far, I would like to put a few more miles on it before driving it that far. I at least need to change all the fluids first :lol: When is the June meet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:02 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Since I can't for the life of me figure out the embedded thingie, I will post the URL. There is no sound on the video as my buddy dave shot it with a cheapie Hi8 and the only sound is the wind. Plan is to set up the TV camera tomorrow evening and shoot some high quality video with audio. That sidedraft is intoxicating, exhilerating and addiciting all at the same time!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DY4h3LQF_0

Post subject: Re: Once more into the abyss She is on the road now
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:43 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Well, everything got destroyed that I had posted in the last few days. So, in generous sized bowl, mix some parts from T3, some parts from Ebay, some S13 parts and stir till well mixed. Grind a bit here and a bit there. Presto! you get this....

Thanks to T3 for the coil overs and a buddy for the RCAs.

Another buddy had some S13 camber plates. They fit a lot easier than the AE86 stuff and were a bit cheaper.
A very small amount of drilling was required. The amount was so small, you can't really even tell.

I plan to get some better pics this week. Actually, I planned to shoot some this evening, but I got of work a couple hours late and the light was gone. The crappy cellphone pic will have to do. She rides a bit bouncy, but I think that is from the rear. I took 3 coils out of the rear springs and I really think I should have left it at 2.5. Luckily, I have several extras and will just put those in shortly.
Jeff, I plan to make the meet this sunday!!!!!

Oh crap! I forgot to add the best part. I got it all back together this past saturday and decided to go for a spin. Started backing out the driveway and swung the wheel to get on the street. BANG! WHAM! fender sticking out at a weird angle and the driver's side tire was pointing in the wrong direction. Turns out, the bolts for the RCAs were much, much too short. With the help of my neighbors and some quick thinking we were able to get car back in the driveway without much work. So, the green fender is one of my spares as I decide what to do with the banged up fender, that matched the rest of the car....

Post subject: Re: Once more into the abyss She is on the road now
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:41 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Thanks, it is just so fun with her at this level. She barely comes up to my elbow. I drove her to work this evening... She does not even come up to the lower window sill of our Honda Pilots. She is just so low! I looked out the window this evening, bombing down the highway at 75 and saw the hubcaps of a hummer!!!! Just about cried laughing so hard.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 27 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next