#
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 53 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:31 am 

So, the car's been sitting in the shed doing absolutely nothing, for months....

I fixed a problem with the ignition, and gave it a clean.... then went nuts with the camera!!!

And this, I reckon exemplifies driving an oldschool car. Window down, awesome weather, arm out the window. FTFW.

And a spot of photoshoppage...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:46 pm 
Administrator

Excellent photos! Looking really good :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:19 pm 

Nice car man! I need to get me a JAF badge someday. :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:45 pm 

I love this car... :D

But couldn't resist one minor change... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:38 pm 

I'd have to agree :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:05 am 

nice car here in dominican republic i have a friend with one but it have a 4ag, recaro seats and a set of full coilover from a ae86 at the front, in puerto rico there are some ones making 7 seg. at 1/4 mile with rotary engines and with the 3s-gte.

check this video
the red one have a rotary and the black a 3s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxthgyTCA-A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:51 pm 

edz280zx wrote:
I'd have to agree :wink:

As would I ;) Working on it, I swore I wouldn't drop the ride height until I could afford to do it properly, so custom coilovers are the order of the day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:49 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

What did you use for coils? looks real sharp dumped like that! Clean and simple just how I would build mine (if you could find one around here!)

'83 Sapporo Technica; '84 Starion ES; '74 Colt; '80 Colt; '79 Cressida
'91 RX7 convertible; '68 Camaro SS 350 convertible; '71 NSU 1200c

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:38 pm 

That's a photoshop (or similar program) lowering effort sadly.

I am currently in the process of sorting out parts for a custom made set of coilovers, using T3 camber plates, as yet unspecified short stroke inserts in the standard strut tubes (poss AW11 MR2 units), a regular 2.5" coilover type spring with a rate of about 250lbs in the front (predominantly a street car) with keeper springs, and a set of T3 RCA's just to keep things all in order :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:59 pm 

Looking awesome. I would like to own one of these one day.

On fitting the Hayashis...
Nankang do a 175/55R14. You may also be able to squeeze on 165/60R14s which are available here and there.

Will AW11 inserts fit in the KP61 strut tubes though? I thought from what I'd read they were smaller diameter?
AE86/AW11/Celica etc are all 2" OD struts. I'd get some AE86 struts to mod I reckon, and get the bigger brakes while you're at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:20 pm 

AW11 rears apparently.... yet to find out for certain however.

AE86 struts are far too expensive over here now :? AE85 stuff is always an option though, I'm not too fussed on bigger brakes etc as it's not going to be a race car, just a clean street car 8)

165/60/14's you say..... oooohhh..... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:05 pm 

Its not like they're 385mm rotors, six pot AP calipers or anything!
It really would be worth your while, they're vented and a little bigger, still go under 14" rims.

But fair enough, they must be hellishly expensive there then? Here you can normally get a set of struts and hubs for a few hundred.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:29 pm 
I have just yesterday purchased a Lisse (85) for $1300 (sheez inflation huh...). Its only done 70,000kms so its very low kms for age. Was owned by old lady for most of its life so in good nick - just needs a tune/service etc. What I would like to do is find some good rims for it if possible? Where are they normally subject to rust so I can get it checked out (doesnt look like it cos its been garaged its whole life)? Due to its age and condition I want to keep it in good nick and see if we can break the 30 year mark! Would like to think the ole girl could be registered as a classic! LOL.
Any suggestions for getting rims/parts in Christchurch NZ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:51 pm 
BTW can't seem to find many Lisse's that are 5 door auto and 1300cc... is this unusual or a common spec car for '85?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:01 pm 

i wish we had these in australia but alas we only got the later model FWD starlets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:34 pm 

BadgerNess wrote:
I have just yesterday purchased a Lisse (85) for $1300 (sheez inflation huh...). Its only done 70,000kms so its very low kms for age. Was owned by old lady for most of its life so in good nick - just needs a tune/service etc. What I would like to do is find some good rims for it if possible? Where are they normally subject to rust so I can get it checked out (doesnt look like it cos its been garaged its whole life)? Due to its age and condition I want to keep it in good nick and see if we can break the 30 year mark! Would like to think the ole girl could be registered as a classic! LOL.
Any suggestions for getting rims/parts in Christchurch NZ?

Hey man... sorry I didn't notice this until now, congrats on the purchase! They seem to rust in the bulkhead, where the water collects from running under the bonnet, the base of the A pillars, hatches are shocking for rot, the bottoms of doors... and keep an eye on the footwells in the drivers and passengers side, as leaky screens cause water to pool down here.

As for rims and parts you're probably in the best city in NZ for oldschool bits... jump on club K (www.club-k.co.nz) there's a few guys down there who are South Island based (including Sheldon aka "Blown5K" who is something of a K series guru.

Keen to see some pics of your KP though!

Anyway to continue the discussion... coilovers are slowly progressing.

Sourced some bits:

Below are the tophats and alloy bottom spring seatsImage

And here we see the original shock alongside the replacement - an item initiall intended for a Mk2 VW Golf diesel. It's approx 80mm shorter at full extension, and is has much more agressive valving.

The struts with bottom spring seats ground off, shortened and with the threaded tube slid over the tops

Also, managed to pry this off a fresh import. VERY difficult to remove intact, but I'm stoked I finally managed to get hold of one in a single piece. For those who aren't familiar, it's a Japanese registration sticker. This one expired in May last year :)

Cheers :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:42 pm 

love this shot:

'85 DD GT-S - '76 TE31 - '76 TE-wagon - '77 mystery car

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:46 am 
what happened with your liteace?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:34 pm 

nice kp!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:31 pm 

Hey, cheers mate! My Liteace got scrapped, however the 5K that was in it will live on in the KP!

Ok, so a few photo's of what I have been up to when time has permitted...

In an effort to drum up some kind of motivation I had a quick mock up of a few of the sets of rims that are littering my shed at present...

13x6 +6 Advan A3A's (165/65 Nankangs on them)

13x6 +15 Bridgestone Stage 4

14x6 +10 SSR Longchamp XR4 (looks nicer than I expected!)

Kind of worked anyway, as far as motivating me went.

Have been cleaning up various front end bits and pieces so that when I finally get the coilovers finished (will be able to assemble them next weekend all going to plan) I can then bolt up a whole swag of recond parts to them, so in effect everything will be brand spankers - with the exception of the brake discs, which I'm pretty much finding impossible to source UNLESS I want to opt for horrendously expensive Toyota Genuine Parts, which there'll be a month wait on ex Japan anyway...

So, a before and after shot of the calipers. Cleaned by hand, then taken back to metal (or close to) with a soft wire brush wheel.

1 x stripped caliper, and a detail shot of the sweet little TOYODA logo cast into the bit that houses the piston (just because I thought it looked cool!)

Finished it all off this afternoon, as well as cleaning up the hubs which will also get a coat of por 15 or something similarly hard wearing - perhaps a heatproof paint in a charcoal/gunmetal grey type colour I'm thinking.

And to finish this post, a few bits and pieces I've bought over the last wee while. First up is an array of TGP bushes, including LCA bushes, swaybar bushes/cushions, RTA bushes... and joining them is a caliper kit so I can refurbish the brakes completely.

Secondly... might have seen these before, but I scored a set of JC Project alloy wheelnuts for a sweet deal on NZHondas some time ago. Maybe rice, but I like the finer details.

And a pic of how the car's been sitting for the past god-knows-how-long. Sharp eyed readers might notice the new addition of stainless beauty rings on the steels... thanks to the old man from the South for his generosity.

Hopefully updates will be more frequent over the summer months, as I have more time after work hours to spend on car stuff in the shed!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 53 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next