Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Surreptitious
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:30 pm 

What a cool project!

Thanks for sharing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:33 pm 

KustomS wrote:
Which cables have You used from The splitter backwards for your gts conversion?

I have tried ae86 gt cables for my conversion, but the outer cable is too short.

Those are GTS cables... and being "short" is why i moved the bracket, and extended the pull cable.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:28 pm 

Thanks for the replik.

On a KE30 the rear brackets are aligned, therefor I had to use 2 left AE86 cables, but the outer cable is too short, Inner cable has the perfect length.
I must fabricate som sort of an adapter or move the brackets to make it fit 8)

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:30 am 

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 1:01 pm 

oldeskewltoy wrote:

:mrgreen:

Take a short ride around the block... http://youtu.be/dc5dzcKzZsc

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:58 am 

another short video... this one video quality is poor... but sound is.... :tu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC73j3m_Hf4

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:01 am 

First off, your Corolla is badass.

In a sea of AE86 fanboyism (not saying I don't love the AE86 chassis), it is awesome to see an under appreciated generation get done up. The amount of custom work you've done is impressive to say the least. I can honestly admit, this may be my favorite Corolla, ever. Mainly because it is so custom and out of the ordinary without looking gaudy or half assed. The way it is now reminds me of so many different great 80s hatchbacks that get way more attention (namely: Audi Quattro and Accord hatchbacks). I'm keeping my eye on this thread! Thank you for sharing and I'm looking forward to this build.

-Andrew

1973 Datsun 620

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:02 pm 

Doraiba wrote:
First off, your Corolla is badass.

In a sea of AE86 fanboyism (not saying I don't love the AE86 chassis), it is awesome to see an under appreciated generation get done up. The amount of custom work you've done is impressive to say the least. I can honestly admit, this may be my favorite Corolla, ever. Mainly because it is so custom and out of the ordinary without looking gaudy or half assed. The way it is now reminds me of so many different great 80s hatchbacks that get way more attention (namely: Audi Quattro and Accord hatchbacks). I'm keeping my eye on this thread! Thank you for sharing and I'm looking forward to this build.

-Andrew

:oops:

thank you.....

and now... with some luck... I can finish the interior with a similar level of none half ass-dom :shock:

from another forum wrote:
Also look into HushMat (what the OEMs use for sound deadening/heat transfer) as well as Second Skin. Second skin is a spray on/paint on kind of like rhino liner, whereas HushMat is more like a roll on pad like DynaMat.

Dynamat/pad is the most expensive of the bunch with probably the least amount of end result/$.

:?

Wow... hush mat aint cheap.... the second skin stuff is a bit more affordable.

But all the choices confuse the crap out of me....

And... do I have to remove the current OEM tar impregnated sound deadening???

oldeskewltoy wrote:

:?

But all the choices confuse the crap out of me....

still not sure if I need to remove the old stuff... yet... but I've been doing some reading... and this looks interesting

http://www.instructables.com/id/install-sound-deadening-material-in-your-car-fak/ wrote:
ever see something that's all packaged nicely and sold for an exorbitant sum and think to yourself. "I could make that!" or "that's just _______ in a shiny package!" that's what I did one day when looking for sound deadening material for my car. Dyna mat is a really great product that really cuts down on road noise, body noise/reverb from your awesome system and other annoying sounds in a car. The thing is that it's expensive! I realized that dyna mat is actually sold at Home Depot for a completely different purpose! it's used as a flashing material on house roofs!
the HomeDesperate sells the stuff for 20 bux a roll vs dyna mat's $100!

still learn'en... :D

Stock Interiors shows different kits, (and they explain which is which) for the 2 rwd E7 cars... short door and long door cars. They are also about HALF the cost of Auto Custom Carpet.... (127 to 234) ACC does offer a 20% discount... :| Sound Interiors also allows me to get carpet by the yard so I can get matching carpet to finish out the rear and the storage area, this is something I can't get (or at least not easily) with many of the other interior suppliers...

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

I'm pretty confident it'll be either of the first two.... likely the 2nd one which is their Royal Blue.

It really depends on just how "strong" the actual color is..... samples are on the way :cheer:

oldeskewltoy wrote:
And... do I have to remove the current OEM tar impregnated sound deadening???

second skin wrote:
Our products perform best when installed directly to the sheet metal. Having old asphalt or tar insultion installed between our insulation will reduce the performance by about 35%. Although this is may be the best option for you if the old insulation is going to require extensive labor to remove.

Hmmm... There is one thing I KNOW.... I don't want to remove the original insulation its just too much of a PITA!

So a 35% decrease in product effectiveness..... along with new carpet... and the interior re-installed... will that be enough/work ??

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:11 pm 

That was a good read, props on the work done so far.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 12:48 am 

I don't know if its been asked before but what brand are your side mirrors. That's a good mount location for a camera. Is your radio pod one of the rare turning ones?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:00 pm 

Shane wrote:
I don't know if its been asked before but what brand are your side mirrors. That's a good mount location for a camera. Is your radio pod one of the rare turning ones?

Side mirrors are Spa GT sedan mirrors
ImageImage

My radio enclosure is not one of the sexy rotating types :cry:

Surreptitious gets christened...

sorry no pics of this Image

Joanne and I took a little 2 day vacation down to Newport Oregon.

We loaded up Surreptitious with our stuff, and the two dogs. We dropped the "girls" off at doggy day camp (Tail Wag Inn), and then proceeded down 18 to 101, and then down to Newport.

Joanne was sent a groupon for a 2 day stay in a jacuzzi equipped condo with private access to the beach (access was private, not the beach).

The place is called the Starfish Point Motel - http://www.starfishpoint.com/

"Our" condo as viewed from the beach..

and the view from the condo's lower deck out to the beach... the lower deck is semi- enclosed in the trees so the effect is of being surrounded

I spent about 50% of my time sitting on this deck... just enjoying the sounds of the wind, the ocean, the babbling brook (can be seen emptying into "little creek" in above pic), and the birds and "assorted" additional sounds of nature

WE had a wonderful time... WE had a chance to relax...

So... what does all of this have to do with Surreptitious being "christened"??? While down there we enjoyed some modified Mimosa's (mango juice, orange juice, and champagne).... see where this is heading????

We didn't finish all of the champagne, and although only 1/3 full and partially corked... the top popped inside the small compartment letting loose about 2 or 3 shots worth... gently "christening" one side of the interior compartment without doing damage... :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:23 am 

Are you referring to stock interiors.com? How are they compared to factory?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:30 am 

Nic#66 wrote:
Are you referring to stock interiors.com? How are they compared to factory?

Yes... I purchased the carpeting from Stock Interiors.com. The carpets were made, or at least molded to shape by Auto Custom Carpet. I'm pretty sure they make-up 90% of all the carpets sold by all the interior sellers.

I have not as of yet fitted them... I haven't had the time... I've been enjoying driving too much to do the work... yet. It shouldn't be too long before I try and then can give you an opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:48 pm 

oldeskewltoy wrote:

I have not as of yet fitted them... I haven't had the time... I've been enjoying driving too much to do the work... yet. It shouldn't be too long before I try and then can give you an opinion.

still too much fun driving her......

No mirrors... Jeff and I went for a tuning cruise the other day and we saw this, and had to get a photo....

So on to what we were doing. The Winter Loynings tune (2 degrees of timing @ idle) has been simply wonderful. She handles all kinds of different loads wonderfully... FAR better then any tune so far, and easily making this totally daily-able! BUT..... as I noted in our trip to Newport Oregon, the fuel mileage is only fair to good(27mpg), so it would be useful to see if the map can be adjusted to deliver better fuel mileage.

Before we touched anything we plotted the rpm "cloud" (blocks of cells) so we knew where we wanted to adjust. We found that there is similar rpm ranges for around town (moderately high vacuum - MAP) and highway cruise(moderately high vacuum - MAP). We also found that the AFRs in that range varied from low 13s to mid 14s. We then adjusted the AFRs in those cells to mid/upper 15s, we then let the FJO adjust the fuel map accordingly....

Just in case... the new program has a new name so I can always fall back to the old one if things go awry.... :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:13 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Such a cool little coupe! 8)
I just listened to that video again - sounds great.
Being the successor to my Trueno, I can't help but dream of putting one of these in my garage one day too. Would be a neat little couple... :tu:
Keep up the good work!

Best Regards,
Anders.

JDM '77 Toyota Trueno 1600GT Sprinter (TE61)
+ a handful of classic BMW's from the 60's and 70's.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 5 of 5   [ 95 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5