#
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:12 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: 1970 MS55 Crown
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:36 pm 

I thought I would start a thread for a car I just purchased from JNCer Yotaman. It will make a beautiful addition to my Cressida once it is fully refinished. It certainly isn't in the best shape but it has some massive upsides. All the glass is intact, the original motor runs, and it is a factory 4spd, which is simply unheard of in Canada. The car isn't at home yet, but here are the pictures I have so far, showing the good and the bad.

There are a fair amount of half-done repairs and bondo on the body panels but the frame seems solid. Aside from the driver's side floor pan and the rockers most of the body seems salvageable. We'll know more once I get it home and set to work with a wire wheel and a grinder.

More to come, comments and suggestions are more than welcome. The short term plan is to shore up the body as best as possible to prevent further corrosion. A full body restoration will be done once I finish school, for now I just want to get it driving again and looking decent.

Post subject: Re: 1970 MS55 Crown
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:28 am 

Nice pick up. Gotta be committed when dealing with rust, 90% of the time it turns out to be worse than you think initially.

Look at my 1988 YN55, this was a LOLWUT moment after removing the carpet:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:31 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Is the dashpad good :tu:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:28 pm 

The dash pad is so good it's invisible! It was removed at some point, probably due to horrendous cracking. The interior of the car will be removed once it is in my garage and the berber that is standing in as carpet will be removed as well. The pans look alright other than the driver's. I do expect to find more, however.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:29 pm 

The car is up on stands now and we are getting better acquainted. It has become clear that this car needs a LOT more work than first anticipated, (surprise surprise) so the plan now is a complete rebuild. The driveline is still solid, or so it seems, and the frame needs to be boxed in at one point to strengthen it. For the most part, though, we seem to have a solid starting point. Pictures and more details to come later this weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:22 pm 

Alright, as promised here some more pictures of the journey so far. The car has already has far too many "repairs" in its day to try and patch it back up. It's time to get serious on it, so I am going full out in stripping it down, just shy of going frame off.

On the truck headed home

Poking around the car and looking at the condition of the rear end I decided that this would probably be the most difficult and most frustrating section to work on, so I decided to start with it while enthusiasm is still at its peak. It didn't take much time to show that I have a TON of work ahead of me.

The angle of the sun helped show just much attention this side will need

The passenger side has seen a bit of metal put in. I'm not a metal expert, but if I had to guess I'd say that isn't automotive metal. Still, it was shaped quite nicely. Thoughts from anyone on welding that piece in properly and re-using it? Will it be appropriate metal if prepared properly?

The driver's side has a piece from a different car patched into it, held together with rivets. The unblemished and shiny paint underneath the marker light is probably the last bit left that shows how nice the paint once was.

The trunk floor isn't terrible, but it isn't great. The spare tire well has no floor, it was patched with sheet metal and, again, rivets. This will be removed and replaced with a proper piece. The passenger side of the trunk has a very large hole where it attached to the wheel well, and the entire seam along the fender is completely gone, with another hole under the tail light. Both had been lazily filled with a fibreglass which came out in comedic blobs.

Here is the current state of the car. Trunk lid removed for refinishing, tail lights and trim have all been removed from the back of the car. Took a ridiculous amount of effort since a previous owner had lost some hardware and simply..attached everything with more silicone.

Next up: I need to get the bumper off properly. The bolts sheared off on the one side, so that was easy enough, but the chrome bolts spun on the driver's side rather than the bolt itself shearing off so that will take some cutting.

The rear corner trim of the tail lights is also being held in by silicone and I am having a heck of a time removing it without causing damage. Any tips from anyone on this?

Once it stops snowing I'll be back at it and I'll get the bumper off and properly strip off all the fibreglass, paint and bondo. More to come.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]