#
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:58 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ]
 Post subject: 1976 Subaru 4WD wagon
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:32 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

now I don't know how you guys think about modifications to old old school subies but here goes

I have had this 76 for over 6 years now and used to drive it daily and also rallycrossed it too. But I have for the last few years had it parked and used it every once in awhile until recently. The reason why it is no longer a daily driver is because of I have it as a project vehicle and have a couple newer (ok almost new) subaru's to drive. My original plan was to drop in a dual range 4wd tranny from a 81 brat and a EA-81 engine with a wild concoction of modifications including a turbo and EFI (this is not all). Well that was when I had a 83 GL wagon. I gave the 83 to a so-called friend cause he was in need of a car for work and gave him 1 stipulation. I was resealing another motor to drop into the 83 at the time I gave it to him and told him to be careful with the car and keep an eye on the oil levels. Well what does he do? He blows up the motor while hotrodding and being neglegent. So the decision was made to go EJ with it. Which in luck I got a call from a good friend that his friend with a 98 Impreza L just wrecked it and was offering it to us for $400. So I now have a EJ-22 w/ AWD 5sp tranny.

And with that behind me now, here is why I was wanting to modify it.

I wanted something even more unique than what I have right now. And also want to rebuild it with safety and performance in mind so I can run it in rallycross again. So in a nutshell. It will be sat up as a Rally Car but have the civility of a daily driver too. (Even though there will be racing bucket seats, 5pt. harnesses, and a roll cage.) And (the wife wants me to do it) have it so I can show it too.

I have the EJ test fitted and very minor modifications are needed to fit the motor all the way in (and if I ever want to drop in a EA-71/81 (it originally had a EA-65 1300cc motor in it which is not original for the car) it will still be able to be bolted up and ran.) and the tranny has been sat in but there are some modifications in the x-member and also the tranny tunnel to be made and also new shift linkage system using the original tranny configuration.

The saga will continue and I will post updates if you guys approve with what I am doing.

Oh and another reason why I am doing this is due to the fact that the whole car is not all original and it is missing quite a few things (and being that it is a 76 there are not many places that have parts cars left) so I want to just make it my own and also will have to fabricate a few things too out of sheet metal, steel, aluminum, titanium, and carbon fiber (possibly some kevlar too).

Here are a few pics...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:13 pm 
Administrator

Welcome, wagoneer! That sounds like an awesome project. Is it already decked out in WR Blue? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:29 pm 

Neeto!
I hadn't realized you were in such an intense project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:06 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

well here are somemore photos at another site that is more wrx oriented but they are getting a kick out of seeing this car being modified

http://wrxmodders.com/forums/garage.php ... le&CID=104

hope you guys can see that or else I might have to get the images onto photobucket to show it off

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:00 am 

sweet lil wagon :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:20 am 
JNC Enthusiast

thanks and hey is your GSR blue in color?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:46 am 

nope in yelo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:33 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

ok cool now I know 3 Kiwi GSR owners lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:11 am 

nice wagon.. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:53 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

thanks, update is there is no update lol, still living at the inlaws and it is still parked in storage over at a friends vacant house right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:19 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Ok now for another update, the car is now over at the in-laws and also the rest of my stuff, including the motor and tranny... So I will begin the resealing of the engine and tranny soon and try to get them back into the shape they were before the accident that happened to the car they were in before I got them.

Then the fun will begin with wiring first so that way I can have something to do until we can find a place with a decent garage where I can work on the car itself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:31 am 
JNC Enthusiast

OK new news :) I have ordered the reseal kit, just waiting for my friend to call and tell me that it is ready to be picked up. I also have gotten my hands on the FSM's for the motor/tranny/wiring so I can begin with the weeding of the wiring really soon also :)

Also I had a offer of help in a way, as long as I help a good friend (which will remain nameless until later and trust me this is also a business venture too :)) out with rebuilding his garage including pouring a concrete pad to go with the footings already there (gravel floor and a leaning garage are not good) and also prep and lay concrete for another building on his property, I will be able to get working on the car with help and room to be able to do the work :)

Another bit of news is the friend that is selling me the reseal kit also is going to be talking with one of his employees that has a over abundance of cars around the workplace about selling me one of his Gen 1 Phase 1 4wd wagons so that I can have a parts car for major parts and hopefully other smaller parts like a rear bumper and stuff lol

anyways there you have it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:37 am 

cool car!

looks like it's fun on the dirt!

http://www.myspace.com/abandonaugust

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:40 am 
JNC Enthusiast

lol it is :) and will be even more so after all that I want to do to it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:06 am 
Super cool wagon! There have been quite a few Subarus in my family over the years,many used as taxis.Great cars!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:40 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Thanks Roadster and lol well where your at I bet they do make great taxi's.

Anyways got the reseal kit finally! But some drama at the in-laws has made me postpone my reseal even longer. Long story short, I was planning to reseal it this weekend, but the in-laws had another plan for it involving me not doing it, sooooo I called the friend I am going to help out and he is ok with me bringing the motor over to work on over there. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:05 am 

Awesome! love those wagons :tu:

Post subject: subaru fe 1600
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:26 pm 
I am Portuguese and I bought a car from Canada (subaru fe 1600-1978 coupe) I would Like to know how to find peices for my car. Here in Europe I find it hard. Does anyone know a site where I can find informaion!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:18 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

here and Ultimatesubaru.org are the best bets

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ]