#
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:14 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 23 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: not quite a nostolgic; my s13
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:18 pm 

alright so time to raise this from the dead....

probably close to two years ago; i was looking for s30s and turbo zs because; frankly there is nothing sweeter in my mind than a classic z with a l28et for an affordable sports car.

then i stumbled across a video on youtube titled l28et s13... and i thought that would be so awesome and unique in its own way.

so ok im not the first but i plan to have a quality build so others on nico dont have to do so much guess work.

My research and the write ups from pallnet on various forums stated that it is basically bolt in; with an r32 crossmember and a front stump l28et oil pan.

i searched for two years for some of these hard to find parts... not kidding, all the forums, junkyards and I finally found an r32 crossmember a few weeks ago. I almost gave up on this idea so many times; but after i sold my zxt shell, i had a true l28et turbo block and basically everything else to do the swap.

So the gameplan: drop my current l28et into my s13; after i get it running and the bugs worked out, I will do a full rebuild on my spare 78k mile l28 non turbo block; with turbo pistons and p90 head.

The engine out of my zxt ran alright at best; but upon looking at the valvetrain im thinking it was lack of proper maintainece and the s*** stock electronics. So i am ordering a gasket set to replace all the external gaskets before i drop it in.... main seals etc.

OK so parts list:

l28et

front stump oil pan off a diesel maxima ( this has a pickup for the oil return for the turbo; and has a lower profile than a gasoline pan and should clear the sway bar which was a problem on pallnet's swap)

95 KA transmission w 95k

l28e bellhousing off my 78 z

stock t3 turbo for now

r32 crossmember

90 s13 (duh)

NEED:

custom downpipe

driveshaft

intercooler piping/etc

300zx turbo electronics (z31 stuff is a bolt on improvment in fuel management)

n42 intake (NON egr intake; had one but sold when i was gonna give up on this project)

Unsure:

Powersteering- not sure how i wanna do this yet; i know i need SOHC lines and ill probably fit a s13 ps pump to a custom bracket unless i find another nissan vehicle that i can make this work

radiator: im thinking of getting a custom radiator or finding one that would fit under the rad support to give me some clearence (z31?)

i know this isnt a common swap, sure there are better choices, but im dead set on this and i think it will be a refreshing change from srs and kas.... and pay homage to the nostalgic fan ive become

OK a few pics i just got done cleaning up the garage, so things should start rolling soon

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18604&p=158903#p158903

mx32 2jz swap in progress

Post subject: Re: not quite a nostolgic; my s13 l28et comming soon
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:24 pm 

ok update time

today i swapped out the r32 crossmember. this was easy as heck with no engine and alot of the suspension goodies not torqued down.

i dont think i mentioned but my front suspension is almost refreshed.

still need a pair of tein pillow ball mounts for my RSR/koni combo (no coils for me sorry ya'll)

the specs:
tein inner and outer tie rods
new OEM FLCAs
poly bushings in the tension rods (not installed yet)
new boots
aluminum bushing in the steering rack as well (this was a pain in the a** to put in)

r32 crossmember goin in. note crappy old phone on the floor, i guess old school is how i roll

ARP lugs that i was always too lazy to install.

also i had tommorow im going to the yard in search of SOHC PS lines and pump, a few goodies for the interior, and a BMC so i can re install my q45 brake cailpers

interior is mostly back together, lots of little pieces i need to install; but that will come after i finalize the rest of the wiring and install the bmc

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18604&p=158903#p158903

Post subject: Re: not quite a nostolgic; my s13
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:29 am 

mmmkk somewhat of an update

i decided that it would be wiser to take my s13 back to stock, or as close as i can for now.

i sold off almost all of my datto stuff and i just wanna enjoy the car as i once did.

i finally got a classic Im proud of, and while i have an attachment to my s13 since it was my first car my mx32 will have to suffice for my nostalgic fix. I also figured i dont want to hurt the resale value on this since 240s are still going for way too much money :lol:

car now sports a ka24de with an s14 trans finishing it up the way i want. will rock the teardrops for now but will probably put the enkei's back on in a few months.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 23 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2