sequence of events
1, car karks on freeway
- fried ignition module in ecu
2, second ecu put in car and coil driver changed
-Car drives fine for 15 minutes, get pink slip for registration and put in garage
3, drive car to pick up son, it carks again on freeway after 15 minutes exactly like last time.
- important to note that at this time there is nothing wrong with car apart from 2 electrical problems, one of which is a fuel gauge that reads just below 1/4 of a tank when the tank actually looks like this
The other problem we'll get to.
4, I, thinking it is same problem, remove ecu and get it fixed.
- put it back in car, change coil driver for brand new one and car won't go.
5, admit defeat and get car trucked to auto electrician
- after extensive searching, he finds problem (see above pic) puts in a couple of litres and fires car to life. rings me to pick up car (probably while shaking head and rolling eyes skyward)
6, pick up car, drive around corner and car karks again.
- This time I'm wise, put 5 litres of fuel in car. Won't go. Put in another 5 litres. No go.
7, Ring auto electrician.
- He comes and picks up car and says he will look at it in the morning.
8, He rings me late next day and explains problem
- The car started fine in the morning of course, so he scratches head, figures it must be the fuel pump (he doesn't like Walbros) and pops it out for a quick look. Plenty of fuel in tank, ignition on, fuel pump goes for a couple of seconds and stops. Feels vindicated about Walbro and puts it aside for later. Tells apprentice to find problem, knowing what it is, later in day. Apprentice tells him fuel pump fuse is blown! It blew when he checked the fuel pump running, it ran for a few seconds and stopped explains apprentice.
Head sparky smells rat.
Nothing wrong with fuel pump (yay Walbro) 10 amp fuse, on the other hand, is problem.
While the pump has something to suck it is fine.
As soon as it sucks air it draws considerably more current (vane pump) and blows fuse.
BUT (and this is important) FUSE ONLY BLOWS FOR A WHILE.
It is only half blown. It cools down, has a bit of a rest, and resets itself.
Swearing starts here.
Sparky swaps fuse, car is fixed.