#
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:15 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: what to look for in a 260Z 2+2 (S30)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:16 pm 

Location: Elbow deep in grease, in a garage somewhere in Sydney
Hey guys, I'm getting a bit tired of paying through the nose making repayments for my daily driver (a Ford Focus XR5 Turbo or ST in Europe) and honesty not having any fun with it and being terrified about going broke fixing anything that goes fritz.

Now I understand that a classic car is not the best solution to this issue. They need love and care and are rarely fault free but I can really see a financial gain to it ad opposed to the Focus and still have a car that I enjoy rather than a $700 Hyundai or something that has no character or charm whatsoever. I really don't need to preach to you lot the benefits of a classic.

I think I should make a point here, been waffleing a bit.

I'm looking at buying a Z and there's a couple of 260Z 2+2's that have caught my eye, primarily because they're dramatically cheaper than the earlier 240 or even the 2-seated 260. Plus for me a back seat is kinda handy.

I know the 4-seater Z's are somewhat less popular but I don't see them as dramatically different... unless there's something I don't know about.

Now I know the main difference between the 240 and the 260 2+2 is a longer wheelbase and a bigger original motor but what else is different?

Also, what are the main things to look out for. Things like notorious rust areas, failure prone mechanical areas etc.

My J-tin background is mostly Mitsubishi so I don't know a lot about the Z.

And what are part like to get for them? Im used to nearly everything being impossible to get for mitsus but I understand that datsun parts are generally more available. Is that so? I'm referring to things like brake parts, heater taps, hoses, windows various motor parts etc.

The two cars I'm looking at are a 75 model and a 77 model (according to the sellers) and both look pretty original which is a bonus. Were there any little model tweaks between those years?

Sorry to be a newb but I figured you guys would be the best to talk to.

Any info will be greatly appreciated

Post subject: Re: what to look for in a 260Z 2+2 (S30)
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:24 am 

Jump on the www.ausZcar.com website and try asking the locals.

Post subject: Re: what to look for in a 260Z 2+2 (S30)
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:59 am 
JNC Enthusiast

if you dont see the difference between a 2 seater and a 2 + 2 you havent been paying attention.

the two extra seat are worthless if you plan on taking anyone older than 6 or longer than 4ft

But, besides that, there is no better classic than a Z!

1970 C30 Laurel
1972 240Z
1973 610 Wagon
1977 260Z
1995 Micra
1999 200SX

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]