#
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:59 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 3   [ 57 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:17 am 

HAHAHA

Henry sometimes you make me laugh. Actually he right. The death of the muscle cars was primarily due to changes for emissions standards. At the time Japanese cars were doing a lot with little power and they grabbed the niche before American industries could fully change. The 80s was just a whole hodge bodge of experiments Sort of the same issue is happening today with the current petrol 'crisis' and emission crackdown. The domestics were given quite a bit of cash from the government during Clinton's time and did quite a bit of research but sales of SUVs and trucks had them pursuing the profits they could get from that instead. Toyota fearing to be left behind pursued their own solution and here we are with Toyota ahead of the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:13 pm 

asparagus wrote:
DIASISS wrote:

its cars like THIS that made Japan famous in America!!! if it wasnt for the 80s Japan would NOT be where they are 2day...the 80s for Japanese cars was like the 60s for American cars...lol,which is why EVERY AUTOMAKER WILL have to go retro :D nice S12!!! oh,and wassup Draconis! its me DIASISS from CLUB-S12 :lol:

what are you talking about? the late 60's and 70's was the turning point in japanese vehicles in america, the 240z practically paved the way for the rest of the japanese industry here. It's 80's cars like the s12 that became forgotten and over looked.

Don't get me wrong, I own one, just seems like a fairly monumental factual error.

FYI, this guy got banned, so he can't see your reply. :wink:

And he's OBSESSED with 80s cars and thinks all the 60-70s Japanese cars are ugly. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:16 pm 

draconis wrote:
HAHAHA

Henry sometimes you make me laugh. Actually he right. The death of the muscle cars was primarily due to changes for emissions standards. At the time Japanese cars were doing a lot with little power and they grabbed the niche before American industries could fully change. The 80s was just a whole hodge bodge of experiments Sort of the same issue is happening today with the current petrol 'crisis' and emission crackdown. The domestics were given quite a bit of cash from the government during Clinton's time and did quite a bit of research but sales of SUVs and trucks had them pursuing the profits they could get from that instead. Toyota fearing to be left behind pursued their own solution and here we are with Toyota ahead of the game.

You're getting a little too deep into the details. I think it's fair to say that the 60s/70s did pave the road by actually getting ameicans to LOOK at "JAP CRAP". And with peter brock/john morton and bob sharp kicking ass on either side of the country, people began to notice.

The cheap man's bmw and cheap man's ferrari opened the big boy doors

datsunfreak wrote:

FYI, this guy got banned, so he can't see your reply. :wink:

And he's OBSESSED with 80s cars and thinks all the 60-70s Japanese cars are ugly. :roll:

Oh, lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:46 am 

You are correct without flaw there Henry. ;)

Ok, technical info will be updated here and later with pics, but for now, the main bit of the swap will be on S12Silvia.com.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:00 am 
Thats the best S12 ive seen its amazing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:31 am 

RothenGator wrote:
Thats the best S12 ive seen its amazing!

I dont know about the best. There are a handful that are equally as good and a couple in Finland that are outstanding, but I'll take the compliment. Thank you. And if you are available in March, you should hit up northwestnissans.com. They organize a huge meet in Seattle and tons of Canadians come down. I am planning on showing up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:15 pm 

Well here are some tech. details I can fill in for the lack of pics.

The RB20 setup I had worked for the most part. Due to a hose in the rear of the RB20, it prevented me from pushing the engine further back against the firewall. Well, the RB26 does not have this issue so the motor was able to be pushed back just a bit further. This meant that the subframe needed to be slotted just a bit more to accommodate this change of placement. Then to add to it, the RB20 was situated so that the over the valve cover intake pipe could clear the SE bonnet without having to damage it in any way. Well, it is apparent that the RB26 does not have this type of intake so the passenger side had to be slotted slightly more than the driver's side to sit the engine back in a better place. The other issue that was addressed was the oil pickup under the engine block. Since I ditched the RB26 pan, the only option was to have one custom made or use a RB20/25 oil pan. My plans fell through to get a custom one made up so I went with the Rb20/25 pan. This meant that the oil pickup would interfere with the pan and it could not be bolted straight on. One option many do is cut and weld the oil pan to solve this issue. I refuse to do that so I was able to have an adapter by the shop made up and fitted so that the pickup can remain without issue as well as the pan and plates inside. This though created a 'taller' engine from pan to valve cover. So we ended up playing with GTS, GTR and Nismo mid-mounts. The top-mounts/motor mounts were left basically as is as the lower-mounts/subframe mounts were adapted as stated above.

Then there was the concern about increasing brakes. Since I'm not going for much power at the moment, all I needed to do was increase the front suspension stiffening. I chose to go with S14 tension rod brackets, S13 Kazama tension rods and adapted the s12 control arms by notching out the stock bolt holes just a bit to allow for a better angle and grip for the tension rods. This stiffens up the front end suspension, increases it's steering capabilities and increases brake efficiency. With that increase in the front and the MKII Z32 rear brake swap, I feel I have sufficient braking ability for the time being on how the car is driven coupled with it's power. If I am to obtain more power, then yes, I would do a complete conversion, but for now, the SE front and Z31 rears are actually quite capable. In the pics, you will also see SS brake lines I had installed on both front and back.

Then there is the new radiator. After this setup is finalized, it will be offered to all those who have S12s. These will be rads. custom for S12s and will have correct mounts. Granted, you dont need one like mine but you can ask for your choice of parameters and it can be made up and shipped to you. What I have is a full aluminum rad that is double core/flow. I totally forgot the exact terminology of what it is, so tomorrow I will clarify and edit this. But it will keep the fluids cool and shouldnt have any issues. This setup was used on a S13 with a RB26 before and it worked perfectly so we are adapting that to work with the S12 and fit within the stock setup so that it becomes bolt on for us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:19 am 

A little update. It has been a while indeed. More pics to follow later. You can also visit http://www.s12silvia.com for more info, pics and a vid. Look under Project S12/26.

Here are some pics -

Amazing exhaust job:

This radiator is available for other S12s also. So if you an S12 owner, get a hold me for more info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:17 am 

So, who was at JCCS 2010 last weekend? I attended and I think I met some of you, but dont remember.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:26 pm 

Those are quite beautiful welds on the exhaust.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:41 pm 

Thanks. They had to be sent out due to the downpipes being aluminum. I wanted the welds to be done well, so had to find someone who was quite able in welding aluminum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:13 am 

I saw this car at JCCS and it was insane!
nice install! I took a few pics of it but I will let you post pics, don't want to steal your thunder :D

1967.5 Datsun Roadster (SR20)
2006 Nissan 350z

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:38 pm 

Alvin wrote:
I saw this car at JCCS and it was insane!
nice install! I took a few pics of it but I will let you post pics, don't want to steal your thunder :D

Feel free to post pics. I didnt take many pics of my car to be honest. I just took some of the S12s in general for the blog I'm writing over on S12silvia.com (yet to go live). I am sure other people too more pictures of my car than I did myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:38 pm 

Nice looking S12 and that RB26 Doug@upgarage install looks clean as always. :tu:

'85 300ZX
'03 350Z TWIN TURBO
'07 MAZDA 3 HATCH
'09 ACURA RDX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:17 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Draconis - I was at JCCS too! This is an insane setup. Nice work on the build. Quite possibly one of the cleanest swaps at the show.

Did you have to splice the wiring harness to accommodate being LHD? Was this an issue?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:20 pm 

Drive510 wrote:
Draconis - I was at JCCS too! This is an insane setup. Nice work on the build. Quite possibly one of the cleanest swaps at the show.

Did you have to splice the wiring harness to accommodate being LHD? Was this an issue?

Well, first off just want to say, I do not touch wiring. Wiring + me = massive fail.

What was done however was a massive rewire. The engine bay was fully rewired and tucked while the rb26 was repinned. My ECU was transferred from the lh side to the rh side like the S13s to help with the wiring process.

That answer your question?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:24 pm 

Not been up to much other than work and school. It sucks because I dont have much time for anything. It's winter up this way and with the weather been crap, I shy away from driving her much. I am really excited for Spring to arrive because I really want to drive her again. That and I'm getting some track time in my FC. Once I am familiar and certified, I plan on taking out the S12 for time attacks.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 3   [ 57 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3