#
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:26 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 54 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: R32 speeding tickets in my future?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:08 pm 

Morning all!

In my Honda Life thread I hinted at me trying to get a new project. Well, after a bit of faffing about with negotiations and what not, I finally got an e-mail yesterday letting me know that all was a go!

Now, those that know me know that I never buy a car that's in perfect working order. That would just be silly! This car is no exception. So, without further ado, I present, my inevitable jail time!

Yes, I've gone and bought an R32 Skyline. Not just any R32 though, this is a genuine R32 GTR!

I've always maintained that the safest motorcycle you can own is the one that never runs. I figure that if I'm going to buy something that's obscenely fast, I might as well continue to follow that ethos. Now some of the more eagle eyed readers may have noticed that it's missing something very minor from the front. For those of us that aren't quite as keen, the bumper is indeed missing. It's not missing in the sense that it's no longer on this mortal coil, rather it's just not on the car to keep it from getting destroyed while the car gets towed around.

About 6 months back, I was getting a bento at the local Hokka Hokka Tei. Next to this bentoya san is a BMW tuning shop called ASP performance. At the time, a fellow whitie was working there part time. It just so happened that I decided to swing over and kill some time on the very night they were unloading this car.

Fast forward to a few weekends ago and the car was still sitting in the same place, untouched. Well, that's a waste, I thought. And the negotiations began. Progress was slow and I threw out a crazy low ball number and he threw back a crazy high ball number and ultimately, we decided to meet in the middle right at 160,000 yen (or about 1,500 USD). Yes, a genuine GTR for 1,500 bucks.

Now, before you go saying that I got the steal of the century (I did), let me just say that it doesn't run. The previous owner was in the process of converting it to a track day car, but gave up shortly after starting. As such, it's missing a few rather important things, like the intercooler, intake piping, MAFs, ECU and radiator. Those are things that are all available for pretty affordable prices on Yahoo, so getting this thing back on its feet shouldn't be too costly.

The interior was also all completely removed to weld in plates for a roll cage. Before the cage got put in the project fizzled, so I get the fun of putting the interior all back together. Yay.

The good news is, the majority of the pieces are all there. I know projects never go according to plan, but the plan is to essentially treat this car like a lego kit that's lost the instructions. I have all the pieces, I just gotta put it together.

Now, the good news. It ran before it came apart, so it's not fatally wounded in any way (I hope). Also, it has a full aftermarket exhaust on it that is supposedly pretty high quality (it's not made of rust, so it's instantly better than 90% of cars I buy). It's got some Tein coilovers hiding under those wheel arches as well. So, worst case scenario, I could part it out and make my money back and then some.

The body is straight and accident free with almost no rust. The big white wheels don't come with the car, but I was told by the whitie that he has a line of some good wheels that will fit for free. We'll see if that pans out.

It's a very solid base car that needs some work and love to get back onto its feet. If it goes smoothly and everything works beautifully, I may retire my little Honda Life from daily duties and rock this beast!

We pick it up this Sunday, so more pictures to come!

Cheers,
David

Post subject: Re: R32 speeding tickets in my future?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:22 pm 

Oh Lord! I think I just shorted out my keyboard drooling over this gem!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:45 pm 

Congrats! Would love to get my hands on a lego kit like that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:50 pm 

lots of work ahead of you haha. i enjoyed my 32 gtr while i had it, but honestly its one car i don't miss that much. maybe its just the fact that there's 20 of them i see everyday now lol (literally 20 and every week a new one pops in). great car tho :tu:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:00 pm 

Kinda odd it is parked on spot #32!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:47 pm 

Welcome back to the Land of Skyline ! That's a bit of a monster to say nothing of a slight horsepower hike on your current fleet.

Nice one David :)

OnlineProfile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:00 am 

very nice aquisition!! congrats....now get cracking on that beast!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:27 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Nakazato, you are the guy that rescued the little white 360 from that field and rebuild it every nut and bolt right?
If yes this will be interesting, great buy, i'd love to have one of these.

1970 C30 Laurel
1972 240Z
1973 610 Wagon
1977 260Z
1995 Micra
1999 200SX

Last edited by Eric on Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:30 pm 

Nice score

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:59 am 

Shew yeah you've got a project ahead of you. Just open the wallet and turn it over haha.

I'm up near Tokyo if you need anything. Good luck with the resto. What year is it?

1989 Nissan Skyline GT-R #2317. Gun Grey Metallic.
1970 Datsun 240Z #7356. 904 white on blue. Second owner.
1972 Datsun 240Z. 112 yellow (lime green) on black. Project DevilZ_v2.0
*SOLD* '91 NSX, '99 Silvia Spec R, few Datsun Zs, few DDs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:59 pm 

Location: Elbow deep in grease, in a garage somewhere in Sydney
Damn it David! I only just talked myself out of buying one of these (they're quite common in Australia) and now you go and do this! Every single one of your build threads makes me fall head over heels in love with whatever it is you're building and I'm sure this will be no exception.

I hope it's not too much of a money pit for you, I'll be watching this thread with great interest :tu:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:14 pm 

familycar wrote:

yes, everyone speeds lol. the speed limit on the highway is freakin 80kph, not many actually do that. usual is at least 100 and real speeders hit around 120-200+ on a regular basis. japan isn't the utopian paradise of good doers everyone thinks it is lol.

and it is enforced just as anywhere else. i have a few speeding tickets lol.

The rule of thumb I've always heard is much like the US. Take the speed limit and add 40kph to it and that's the fastest you should go without being bothered. Any faster and you're asking for trouble.

Japanese cops will tell you that if they catch you in the >140kph range that it's "jail time". If you're not Japanese, prepare to have the book thrown at you.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:03 pm 

Thanks for the comments everybody!

Familycar and usafdarkhorse I think covered the speeding question rather well! Although, I will add, if you're a foreigner, the rule of thumb doesn't apply, especially is you're not in a big city. I've been pulled over for going 50 km/h in a 40 km/h before. I was put in the back seat of the cruiser and questioned for 20 minutes before they let me go with a verbal warning (thankfully no tickets).

Sunday rolled around and it was time to go pick up the car! Unfortunately, it's never that easy is it, haha. Saturday night, we went to grab some bento at the bento shop and I dropped by the place to kill some time and chat while the food was getting prepared. The owner of the shop had had a week to prep the car and hadn't done a single thing, which didn't surprise me. He assured me that everything would be prepped and ready to go by tomorrow at 1300.

We show up on Sunday right at 1300 and as you can see, nothing is prepped and ready to go. The owner of that shop is the laziest guy I've ever met. I started by moving a few things around like carpet into the trunk and front bumper into the passenger seat.

The main prep that needed to be done though is the white wheels on the other side need to come off and a full set of decently nice mesh wheels needs to go on. The previous owner wants to keep the white wheels and since I don't particularly like them anyways, more power to him. No biggie I think, I can swap wheels pretty quickly. Boy was I wrong.

We jack the front right off the ground and start to try to remove the lug nuts. The first thing I notice is that none of them are tight, yet all them do not want to turn. After battling all five off, I thinking that maybe since they weren't tight, rust got in there and made everything a pain. With the wheel off though, I'm happy to see a nice set of Tein coilovers and slotted brake rotors.

I grabbed one of the new wheels and immediately noticed a problem. It fouled on the massive four piston brake calipers. Well, that's a pain. After some talking we agreed that I would rock the white wheels on the front for the tow home and the new wheels on the back. Then, once home, I'd swap the space savers onto the front and bring the white wheels back to the shop. So, we popped the white wheel back on and started to thread the bolts back on. Only they didn't thread back on. That's when we realized that Nissan's rock a 1.25 pitch for their wheel bolts and someone had forced lug nuts with a pitch of 1.5 on. And they did that for all 20 wheel studs...

We borrowed some wheel nuts off a Silvia that he had in the shop and battled those wheel studs for two hours. When I say we, I mean another guy and myself. The other guy is a guy who wants to work at the BMW shop but isn't actually employed there yet. The owner, the guy who said he would do all the prep work, just skived off and sat in his office cruising the internet. We finally managed to get three nuts on per wheel with the exception of the right rear wheel which we could only get two onto. We were only going about 3 kilometers and were never going to exceed 40 km/h, so I called it good at that.

We attached the tow strap up and made the harrowing 5 minute drive home. I am pleased to say, it all went beautifully!

Once home I started taking stock of everything, but given that the sun was going down fast, I didn't get a chance to really dive into it.

The interior definitely fell victim to someone wanting to make a track car and then giving up once they were about 1/10 of the way in. I am happy to say that everything is there from panels to carpet to rear seats. It's all there, just not where it's supposed to be. The wiring is going to take some effort though. Someone had a pretty extensive stereo set up that was removed in what appears to be a massive hurry. I thought it was maybe because they wanted to save and resell the aftermarket stereo, but I found it in a box in the back. Brilliant.

The rear seat is in pretty good condition with no tears or burns. It just needs a solid cleaning along with the original floor mats.

As you can see in the picture a few up, I found the front grille and popped it into place. Looks much better already!

Even the key is pretty awesome! (Note, I blacked out the actual key part because I figured anyone dedicated enough that has access to a key grinder could probably replicate it).

So there you have it! The fun starts from now though. I mean aside from needing 20 new wheel studs, everything seems to be in pretty good shape! Time to start collecting parts!

Thanks for reading guys!

Cheers,
David

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:22 am 

Impressive car & purchase!
Glad most of it seems to be there!
The adventure has started.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:05 pm 

Alright, I finally got to tear into the big girl this weekend and see what exactly I was missing. So, let's open those doors and get started!

Got all the carpet and seats out on this side...

... and all the interior panels out on this side.

All the factory audio stuff and rear seat belts.

It took some doing, but it's nice to have an empty trunk...

... and an empty interior.

Whoever had the car before installed a pretty extensive CD changer setup. Unfortunately, they took the changer and left this rats nest of wires.

That's a lot of stuff!

After a bit of vacuuming and cleaning, I got the trunk mostly back together! Someone cut massive holes in the panels for the strut tops. My guess is that this was for both the adjustable struts and that they had a strut tower bar back there as well. Although, that's just a guess since I didn't get a tower bar with the car.

I have no idea why, but the previous owner also hacked up the trunk lid support structure. They did the same on both sides. No clue whatsoever why they would feel the need to do this.

Next, I took a quite a lot of sweat, poured it into a bowl, then mixed in a healthy amount of blood from my hands, gave it a stir while cursing, topped it off with a pinch of tears, and poured this out.

Blimey, that looks alright!

There are some immediate problems you can notice. First, the triple meters in the center console are missing. Those will have to be ordered. Second, the center console trim piece looks like monkey butt. I will have to remove that and repaint it. Third, there is no stereo, but that's a simple fix that's really low on the priority list. And fourth, the shift boot and e-brake boot aren't original and don't fit particularly well, but they'll do for now.

Also, some keen eyed viewers may have noticed in that last pic that half of the rear seat is missing. Someone, somewhere is saying "What am I going to do with just a seatback?" All I know is, I gotta buy the top half. Another problem I ran into was with the glove box. It doesn't quite fit. I'm not sure why, but it just doesn't match up like it's supposed to.

I installed all the factory audio stuff and what not that bolts to the bottom side of the rear parcel shelf.

And then popped in the big metal plate that separates the trunk from the cabin.

Next, I gave the factory floor mats a bit of a clean and tossed those in!

The heel pad on the driver side was all ripped up and ugly looking, so I ripped it out. Looks much better now.

The last thing I did for the day was take a look at the timing belt. It said it had been replaced just 15,000 km ago, so it should still be right as rain. But, since the radiator was already out, I figured now was the time to double check. I also gave the water pump a good spin and all seemed well. I think I'll leave both the water pump and timing belt on there as is!

So, the main purpose of that was to put all the parts I got with the car back on and see what was missing. Here's a list of stuff I need to buy/do and what's been ordered as of last night!

ECU
MAFs (ordered)
Radiator (ordered)
Intercooler and piping (ordered)
Airbox
Wheel and tires (ordered)
Wheel lugs x20 (ordered)
Rear seat (ordered)
Triple meters in center (ordered)
New steering wheel
Battery
Oil change
Spark plugs

If I can get my hands on a good ECU, I should have everything I need to see if this beast will start! Of course, I can't drive until I spend an entire day hammering wheel lugs out and putting new ones in... thanks for that Mr. Previous Owner!

Thanks for reading guys!

Cheers,
David

(Here's a little something I thought might be fun to do. Like everyone else, I have to have some music rocking in the background while I get my wrench on. Well, while I was slicing my hands to bits on interior stuff, these are the tunes I had going in the background. Maybe this will help someone find some new music for their garage time!)

Today's Garage Soundtrack:
Chiptune 4 hour compilation
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH7eUlri4yM

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:23 pm 

Ah look at you man, you've gone and done it! Congrats on the R32 man. Shouldn't take you long to get her running real nice.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:15 am 

Looking good so far David! Despite being in pieces, that Skyline looks quite clean....hopefully a diamond in the rough! Hope you're not bankrupt after all that parts ordering (once you order an ECU, that's definitely not going to be cheap I would think)!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:14 am 

nice! looks like this project is a tad less daunting than some of your previous ones :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:11 pm 

Congrats ! I loved your Honda life. I'm pretty sure I will appreciate this one as well ! :tu:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:00 pm 

Will this one eventually be coming back to Texas also? :mrgreen:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 54 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next