Nice article, congrats!

Post subject: Re: Italian's 280z Build Thread
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:11 pm 

awesome, well done

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:08 pm 

Thanks!

Update on the new wiring:

Endurance got back to me with two quotes: one for just fixing all the jank wiring, bad relays, ect. and removing all the unused stuff from the EFI, and another for a complete rewire with all new relays, fuse panel, battery relocation, as well as making all of the things that were disconnected/not working (map light, warning lamps, ect.) functional again.

We decided to go with the complete re-wire as it will give us a new car in terms of electrical function, make the car a little safer, as well as allow me to easily add things such as more gauges, lights, data-logging, and an ignition box. It will also clean up the engine bay as there is a fuse panel in there that will be replaced by the single one in the cabin, along with the relocation of the battery and such. It should all be top-notch once it's all complete!

I'll try to get some pictures of the progress, but being at school that might be a little hard to make happen. Stay tuned!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:36 pm 

Finally back home and the wiring is all done! The car was completely stripped and re-wired from scratch, which was seriously needed based on how the old loom was. There were hot wires leading to no where all around just waiting to start a fire, and on top of that, the battery was wired right into the fuse box, so everything was constantly receiving power. Lastly, we had the battery relocated to the rear. Figured might as well have Endurance do it while the interior is apart to make hiding the wires easier.

So, everything is now new! New wires, new fuse panel, new relays, everything.

The map light even works now! Y'all have no idea how much I've wanted it to work since we bought the car.

Then the wiper motor died, and I', sure everyone knows how hard it is to find one, and how expensive the rebuilt ones go for. Luckily, the guy that did the wiring owns an S30 himself, and had read that some people have used wiper motors from EG/EK civics, so we went with a new OEM one. I must say, it not only performs very well, but it looks great too. Furthermore, the wiring being routed directly through the firewall is so much more visually pleasing than being routed though to the engine bay then back inside.

Another thing that was dead was the Retrosound radio. There was no speaker power coming out of the system, which was the doing of the BS work that the "reputable old shop" up the street did. So a new radio may also go on order this week as well, which isn't all bad. Retrosound has come out with a version that I can connect to via Bluetooth, so that would be cool.

My dad brought up the the fact of making the car harder to steal, which I've honestly thought about as well. Since I'm on spring break, we're going to order a kill switch as well as a removable steering wheel hub. The kill switch should be very easy, but the hub is where I'm having trouble making a decision. I'd like to get one of the Sparco releasable hubs, but then I couldn't run a normal horn button. Theres always the NRG hub, but I have my reservations about wheel play: I want absolutely zero.

Right now my plan is to cal up Evasive Motorsport and talk to them. Hopefully I'll figure something out. If anyone has any suggestion, I'd love to hear them!

ETA: When I went to put the wiper arms back on, I couldn't find the little screw caps that secure them in place. I'm going to call up Nissan and see if I can order them, but if not, does anyone know what size the threads are invade I can't locate a set? I'm going to check The Z Store and Z Car Source once I get home, but swig as they are a bit of an odd part, somewhat doubtful that I'll find them. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Italian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:13 pm 

All the parts for the wipers finally came!

I got the boots from MSA and the nuts off of Hybrid Z. Normally I'm not one for details on a car, I've been more of a "big picture" person, but recently I've noticed I'm really wanting to get the little details right.

I must say, it is a little odd to have them on there, but it does make the car look and feel more complete for sure.

Now I'm just waiting on a new hood emblem and clips to arrive. When I was looking around a pictures of Z cars with the Japanese spec grill, I noticed that all the cars I like had the hood emblem, whilst the ones that looked odd and like mine didn't. Once again, those little details are getting me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:24 pm 

The Datsun finally reached 1000 miles since the rebuild!

Due to this, and the 510 mile trip up to school this weekend, the datusn got some fresh oil and a proper, big filter.

An oil change isn't really that big of a deal, however, this post is mainly for something that is...

.... The Datsun got a buddy this week!

My dad bought a 1991 1.6 Miata that has only 12,600 miles on it. Yes, twelve thousand six hundred miles. Its basically a new car!! And it came with a hard top, which we're both thrilled about. Its not quite a classic yet, but its just so clean and new. I'm in love!

There really aren't any plans for it, rather just to have it as a daily for my dad, but I'd like to see if we could get the valve cover painted/powder coated in a wrinkle black or red. I think it'd really pull the engine bay together. Either way, it'll be fun to have my dad be able to cruise around with me in his own car!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:54 pm 

Nice find! That Miata is immaculate! Z is look good, keep it up.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:31 am 

With the battery in the trunk, for long term corrosion protection you might want to look into a Marine battery case vented to the exterior. Otherwise look into a really sealed gel battery that won't vent acid fumes. You are doing an excellent job!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:51 pm 

Raven, thanks! Yes, that Miata blows my mind in terms of how new it is. And oh god its handling is superb, truly like a go-cart!

MikeRL411 wrote:
With the battery in the trunk, for long term corrosion protection you might want to look into a Marine battery case vented to the exterior. Otherwise look into a really sealed gel battery that won't vent acid fumes. You are doing an excellent job!

Thanks! I'm looking to get a nice, lightweight, sealed battery this spring. I just got that big battery as it's been super cold and I've want to make sure the car would actually start, plus I needed a new one and didn't want to wait for shipping times. I just have to figure out what I want and what will work first.

My hood emblem got here today!

I did some reading and found that the "extreme" 3M/Scotch double sided tape was what people have found works best. I'm really pleased with it, the front end finally doesn't annoy me!

Also since the SC300 came back from the shop and I tuned up the Miata, I figure an FR family picture was necessary.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:45 pm 

Your car is coming along nicely.

I will look into that civic wiper motor thing, tho i think mine works (and it doesnt rain too often here in socal lol)

I need to start a build thread on mine soon
https://scontent-a-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... 5720_n.jpg

I mainly been posting my stuff on minkara.carview
http://minkara.carview.co.jp/en/userid/1701469/blog/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:47 pm 

Thanks!

Haha yeah I bet its not too big of an issue in Socal. If you do ever need to do it though, don't hesitate. The Honda motor is soooo much cheaper and works brilliantly.

You're blog and car look great! I actually started a blog for my car before this thread as well to document all the stuff I do/have done. I also post a bunch of other stuff thats not wuite post worthy in relation to my two cars and now my dad's miata. ateenagebuild.tumblr.com

The Datsun made it all 510+ miles to Glen Arbor, MI!

Some random MI rest stop...

The S30 is actually pretty practical, at least with the boards in the rear removed.

Its kind of absurd that there is still snow up here!

Then I the car has a bogging issue that I'll get a video up of tomorrow, as well as a little video of the exhaust that a buddy and I shot for a little "production" we're putting together, which should be sweet!

ETA: Heres that exhaust video I mentioned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxSEX9RlMy4

Last edited by Italian on Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:10 am 

Heres the video of the bogging issue I've been having:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAHxtmMXtwc

Engine specs:
~1500 miles since a stock rebuild
240z SUs
240z intake manifold with emissions stuff removed. Only vacuum lines are for vacuum advance and the break booster
Pacesetter header
Stock 280z dizzy
Carbs tuned with an AFR meter at a local speed shop

You can hear the car "sputter" at around the 12 second mark, then you can hear the bogging best at the 17 second mark. The car will bog and lose all power (not electrically). I've found that pushing the clutch in and killing he engine, then turning the key to "on" so that the fuel pump is on for a few seconds then letting the clutch out and starting the car is only thing that really works to remedy it for a brief while. It happens much more frequently on the highway, which makes me think it might be a fueling issue. However, without an AFR meter, I have no way of telling if the engine runs lean when this happens. Then I was looking at the dizzy one to make sure everything was connected properly, and noticed that the dizzy cap and rotor were noticeably scored, so I'm going to replace those and see if it helps at all.

Without really know what it is for sure, my plan is to get an MSD box and eventually a 123 distributor (plus new wires at some point) as that should sort out all ignition issue I could have, then redo the fuel system with AN lines and fittings, pre and post pump filters, and a nice fuel pressure regulator, which should remedy the issue should be a caused by poor fuel supply. I've also noticed the fuel pump can get absurdly loud some times, so I'll probably get a new one just incase it's on its last legs.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions on how to fix the issue completely, I'd love to hear them!

Thanks,
Italian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:05 am 

The main jets in your carbs could be clogging. I would pull them apart and clean them.

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12289
^Heres my build thread^

Packergreg wrote:
Hezath wrote:
Wagons pull the bitches

That's how they got the old expression "Wagons Ho!"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:25 am 

Definitely sounds like a fueling issue, especially if it happens more on the highway or under long pulls.

Judging by your first post, back in Oct. when you got the car back up and running you flushed out the tank with a bit of E85 and put on a new filter, has the filter been changed AGAIN since then? I might have missed this but are you using the stock fuel pump as well? The filter along with a quick static pressure test to make sure the pump is actually holding pressure would be my first checks. Just keep in mind that just because you have pressure doesn't mean you have flow.

Checklist:
Filter
Static Pressure
Float Height (as well as needle & seat)
Clogged Jets
Fuel flow test

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:17 pm 

I started a thread on HybridZ to try to figure the problem out and it seems as though the most likely culprit is how my FPR and fuel lines are set up. Heres the thread:

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/117599- ... ing-issue/

I have my FPR set up before the carbs, where based on the responses on that thread and after some reading, I need it after the carbs. So the problem is basically occasional fuel starvation, which explains why it happens on the highway and after hard pulls. I've ordered (and actually just received today) an inline fuel pressure gauge to double check this. I'm going to get some more fuel line and another T-fitting and redo the lines in the engine bay hopefully next weekend. I might be able to this one if I can get to an Autozone, or if the local hardware store has what I need, but its hard to do at a boarding school. I'm going to set the lines up so that the flow of fuel is similar to a stock 240/60Z fuel rail. So from the filter into a loop with two t-fittings to feed the carbs, then after those fittings the FPR and back to the tank.

I cleaned the carbs at some point during the rebuild, so they should be clean, especially since I flushed the tank and threw in a new filter. However, if the problem continues I'll definitely look at them.

The fuel filter has no been changed since october, though only around 1500 miles have been put on the car, all using 93 octane from Shell or BP, so I would assume I wouldn't need a new one. I do however want to see if there is a Pre-pump filter and change it or add one if there isn't.

I'm no where near sure of if it's the stock fuel pump, but after some googling it looks like it might be. Again though, I'm planning to redo the whole fuel system this spring so if there is an issue with the pump, filters, or flow, it should be solved.

After doing all of this though, I don't know when I'll be able to do some highway driving to really test it out as I'm a good 2.5 or 3 hours from the highway (good ole Northern Michigan for ya). Though I might be able to test it on the back roads up here. Either way, right now my main goal is the redo the fuel line arrangement in the engine bay and go from there. Hopefully it'll work out!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:13 am 

For what its worth; The FPR is located on the return side of the fuel system on an EFI setup(with HP pump) to keep constant pressure to the fuel rail.

I read your link and 11's at WOT isnt a bad AFR for power which is all that matters at WOT. I try and run my 22RE around 12 at WOT. You really only want 14.7 when you are cruising because the engine is under less stress at that point and it can run that lean, comfortably without damaging anything. When you start pushing 15's and 16's under power, things can get dicey but you shouldnt have that issue with carbs that are functioning correctly and are tuned close to right. Those problems are usually restricted to fools like me who have to make a fuel map because of megasquirt.

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12289
^Heres my build thread^

Packergreg wrote:
Hezath wrote:
Wagons pull the bitches

That's how they got the old expression "Wagons Ho!"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:16 pm 

Yeah I've learned that after that thread and some research, which makes quite a bit of sense compared to how I thought FPRs worked, hahaha.

Yeah I'm happy with the tune. I just need to get Webers or set up ITBs and EFI before I build out the motor as I don't want to run that close to lean on a high compression engine, even when it is just cruising around. Though I do wonder what a day at a track would do to the plugs in terms of fouling...

Parts came in!

A new dizzy cap and rotor as mine are a little scorn, then a cheap furl pressure gauge so that I can set the fuel pressure more accurately for now. I also got more 5/16 fuel line to re-do the lines in the engine bay so that everything is set up properly. That will hopefully happen this weekend, all I need are some brass fittings which my local hardware store didn't have.

The AN fittings are for my plan to re-do the entire fuel system. I've started buying used fittings on ebay to save money and will do so over time. Sure they're not nice and shiny and new, and they could use a quick cleaning, but they work and they're a whole hell of a lot cheaper. Plus they add some character :D

Here are my rough parts plans for everything left that I need to buy. Since typing these up I've decided to go with Jiffy-Tite quick connect fittings to connect to the carbs so that I could remove them easily should I need to clean them.

The prices are of brand name (Earl's, Russel, ect.) fittings on Jegs and Summit Racing. Then the line is a rough average as I still have to decide on what line I want, at least if I don't find some nice used line on ebay.

Parts:

FuelLab 525 Fuel Pressure Regulator - $154.94
Holly #5120-12-927 Fuel Pump - $158.95
Earl’s 85 micron filter - $37
Earl’s 35 micron filter - $39

Fittings:
New (each)
2x 10mm to -6 AN - $12
2x 90* -6 AN to -6 AN - $16
2x -6 Male union fitting $5
2x -6 Male t-fitting - $8
-6 AN to AN gauge adapter $12

12x -6 AN hose end - $9
90* -6 AN hose end - $23
2x 180* -6 AN hose end - $26
2x -6 Banjo hose end - $23

Line:
20’ -6 AN - $140

Total New: $912

Total Left New: $853

Hopefully I'll be able to save a few hundred by buying used fittings. Either way, It'll be fun collecting all the parts I need over time!

Also a friend of mine did some photoshopping:

He also sent me the photoshop documents with a few different versions and I think I'm going to get a banner printed. We'll see if this happens soon or not, but either way, I do want get it made up.

This spring should be a fun time for the build!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:00 pm 

Alright so I was finally able to redo the fuel system up front as susggested, but there are some issues.

The car seemed to bog more often, but to a lesser extent that previously. By this I mean I could just let off the gas for a second or two and it'd be fine, I didn't always have to kill the engine and let the system prime. Then on top of that, the Summit fuel pressure gauge read no pressure at all. I don't know if its a faulty gauge (Very well could be, I didn't expect it to be a quality gauge, only a cheap temporary item) or is something else is wrong and there actually is no fuel pressure. I assume the first as if there weren't any pressure, I would assume there would be no fuel, and thus no running car.

I'm going to get some carb cleaner and clean out all the fuel passages in the carbs, then also replace the fuel filter(maybe filters?) to try to eliminate the possibility of clogs.

If all of this still doesn't work, I'm going to start moving faster in my collecting of the parts needed to completely redo the fuel system from end to end.

Anyone have any more suggestions?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:55 pm 

How difficult was re-doing the wiring with the Painless kit?

How long did that take you?

Great project! Terrific looking car. I sure miss my S30

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:14 pm 

I have no idea as I had a local shop do it since I can barely re-wire an airsoft gun without either half-assing something or having switches melt together... Also due to me being at school, but mainly due to me sucking at wiring and knowing I would do a far inferior job in comparison to the shop.

The shop had 12 hours of Labor in stripping the interior, taking all the old wiring out (which included a whole hell of a lot of left over EFI stuff), and putting in and figuring out the new stuff.

Thanks! It's certainly a fun project.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 4   [ 66 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next