#
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:05 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Cam's 1980 Datsun 510
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:27 am 
Mild Cam

My buddy Jack (Ghetto Jack) is moving to California and he can't take both of his Datsuns with him, so I struck a deal to buy his 1980 Datsun 510. I've known Jack and this car for a long time, and it makes me really happy to be able to add her to my steadily growing stable of Japanese classics. As the project develops I'll post more details, but for now, I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. These were taken while the car was still under Jack's ownership:

The car drives wonderfully; I've been dailying it for the past week and a half, and even drove it over an hour on the interstate to a recording studio the other night after work. It's a lot of fun to cruise in and girls love it. 8) My mother has taken a shine to it as well, and has claimed the 510 as her own...uh oh. The first order of business is to mount new tires to replace the aging rubber that's on there now, followed by an alignment to straighten everything out. Then I'll do an oil & filter change, retrofit the A/C with R134a, and figure out why the blower motor isn't working. In the meantime, I've started cleaning her up and making a checklist of minor trim items that need replacemement. I don't see a lot of these around, in real life or on the interwebs, so if you have pictures or stories, feel free to share!

1988 Mazda RX-7
Ex-JNCs: 1980 Datsun 510, 1979 Mazda RX-7, 1986 Mazda RX-7, 1992 Mazda Miata

Post subject: Re: Cam's 1980 Datsun 510
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:32 am 
Mild Cam

Based on the overwhelming response I've decided to update you all on my progress. :lol:

Yesterday I took a trip out to a restoration shop I'm moonlighting at (much like David at CCN). One day I'll take more pictures, but here's a teaser for now, from the cockpit of the 510:

That's a late 356 sunroof coupe. An SC, to be exact. And that's far from the rarest or most valuable car at the shop! What I like about Pete (the owner) is that he can appreciate something like my Datsun just as much as a vintage Alfa or Porsche. It's nice to find a kindred spirit, haha.

I borrowed a couple jack stands and jacked the car up in front of my garage, then took the wheels back to the shop, dismounted the tires, and sandblasted them in preparation for new paint.

I'm rather fond of David's Minica (aren't we all?), with one of my favorite features being the eggshell-white paintjob and matching steelies. I decided to go for a similar look with my wheels. I found a shade of Krylon called "Ivory" that's damn close; here's a preview:

I only got the one wheel painted & cleared last night; the other three are in primer. Expect another update soon!

1988 Mazda RX-7
Ex-JNCs: 1980 Datsun 510, 1979 Mazda RX-7, 1986 Mazda RX-7, 1992 Mazda Miata

Post subject: Re: Cam's 1980 Datsun 510
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:15 pm 

Camshaft wrote:
Based on the overwhelming response I've decided to update you all on my progress.

lol. Car looks well taken care of.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]