#
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:54 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 9   [ 166 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: 1983 HR30 "L30"
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:15 am 

Meet my new baby :mrgreen: I was on the hunt for a classic car to take back to the US from Japan for about the last several months. I narrowed it down to Skylines, but just couldn't decided on which model I wanted. So when I saw this bad boy for sale, I just had to jump on it. Everything I love about Skylines from the 70's to 80's all in one car?! Yes please :tu: Besides, when's the last time you've seen a l30 in a R30? :wink:

The car's last owner is a good dude, took great care of her mechanically...but wasn't in to keeping the car clean like I am. All go, no show kind of guy I guess. No problem, just meant the first weekend with my new toy has been spent cleaning LOL. Here's the bay before:

few hours later:

and as of today...still got a little ways to go before I'm happy (sorry for hipster instagram pic) l28, stroked to 3.0, big tomei cam/tomei gear, fresh block and head, SK inlet mani (anyone know where I can the red logo plate from?), OER carbs, mystery 6-2-1 header

before and after a fairly quick detail. will do a full blown detail soon

last owner has a clutch on order for me (current one is extremely shot) pics in a better location to follow when I can drive it without fear of being stranded haha

I have A LOT to learn about these engines/carbs, but I'm no stranger to the wrench :wink: Should be fun! Few plans (in no real order) as of now would be:

Get the new ACT 6 puck in soon as it arrives in the mail
Continue to clean up wiring and everything
Install R32 caliper upgrade all around
Get carbs tuned (if i can't get it right..more than likely going to be the case haha)
Get a full interior
DR30 tails
Real heat shield
Enjoy the drive :D

Nothing beats the sound of a triple carb'd l series!

Last edited by familycar on Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: 1983 HR30 L28
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:46 am 

familycar wrote:
Real heat shield

I was going to ask why you took the old one off... :P

Looks like a lot of fun. :tu: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:23 pm 

ya the old heat shield looked pretty cool. Looked like it have a fresh air vent. Car looks good. Always wondered what a L28 would feel like compared to the FJ in a R30.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:20 pm 

Those Wats totally make the car. What kind of octane is ran on a 10:1?

Btw nice pcv/garden hose lol.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:04 pm 

Kennymonster wrote:
Those Wats totally make the car. What kind of octane is ran on a 10:1?

Btw nice pcv/garden hose lol.

i agree. they fit the car perfectly :mrgreen: i run 100ron. might adjust for base 93 octane gas though. Hi oc in japan is $$$$$$$ lol...yea gotta love the hose :roll: i tried finding a new real hose or breather filter yesterday, no joy :/ it'll get addressed though. not to mention, it'll be one less concern for when I take the car back to the US and i can only find 91 or 93

DeRuX wrote:
ya the old heat shield looked pretty cool. Looked like it have a fresh air vent. Car looks good. Always wondered what a L28 would feel like compared to the FJ in a R30.

it was a good idea, but a little raggity. i prefer just a normal heat sheild. it's cold as all hell here now, so not in a rush with that. heat wrap works pretty well to boot.. i havent gone for a real ride in a FJ car, but there's definitly a nice jump in tq delivery and instant response. seriously going nuts waiting for the new clutch! really want to drive the car hard. even with the slipping disc in there now, i was completly shocked at how quick the car is :twisted:

john wrote:
familycar wrote:
Real heat shield

I was going to ask why you took the old one off... :P

Looks like a lot of fun. :tu: :mrgreen:

haha, thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:07 am 

Nice classic car,your baby is looking really good.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:39 am 

Nice R30. The brake upgrade is a good idea. I dig the overfenders. I do not think the ones that are stateside have them.

The panda paint scheme is a nice break from the normal red/black.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:54 am 

It's gorgeous. Yet again more reason for me to go with a pre-iron mask r30.

I really dig those fenders and the panda scheme as well. The engine is definitely interesting, how's it run performance wise and... How's the mileage? I dunno why but lately I've actually enjoyed knowing the gas mileage on these, not that it affects my opinion just interesting to see the range people are getting.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:53 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Awesome HR30! I want to say more but Im kinda speechless right now.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:14 am 

sourcing interior parts nicely :tu: i dig the stripped thing, but i prefer to make things a little more civil for normal use lol. the 4 door back seat i got actually fits perfect on the bottom, but top will need some creativity to fit. looking for a 2 door top before i start chopping things up :? now hoping i score these dr30 lights! clean up continues..if we ever get a nice day i'll get more progress pix...now if i could just quit getting outbid on yahoo :td: :td: :td:

Last edited by familycar on Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:06 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:17 am 

RobertVessel wrote:
Nice classic car,your baby is looking really good.

thanks! still trying to doll her up a little haha

jncr wrote:
Nice R30. The brake upgrade is a good idea. I dig the overfenders. I do not think the ones that are stateside have them.

The panda paint scheme is a nice break from the normal red/black.

yea the brakes will definitely be nice to have :mrgreen: it actually stops ok now, but there's room for improvement for sure!...the over fenders are one of the many things i love as well :D i don't think any stateside ones have them either. well i did see one silver iron mask 50th anniversary that had custom ones iirc....i like the red, but i agree, it's nice to be a little away from the pack with the panda hotness

Kouper wrote:
It's gorgeous. Yet again more reason for me to go with a pre-iron mask r30.

I really dig those fenders and the panda scheme as well. The engine is definitely interesting, how's it run performance wise and... How's the mileage? I dunno why but lately I've actually enjoyed knowing the gas mileage on these, not that it affects my opinion just interesting to see the range people are getting.

i really love the iron mask as well, but the more i see this in person, i will probably just keep this front...it runs fantastic. the sound, smell, power, everything...just plain old hardcore to be honest. everything shakes, it's loud as hell and sounds like pure sex :twisted: . the clutch is severly shot, but even still, the power is surprising. i just came from a BNR32 (simple build, 380whp), so i was feeling a little cocky on the power haha. but really, i think this car would hang just fine. i'm sleepless waiting for the clutch to come in the mail! ...mileage? :oops: :td: :td: haha, carbs def need some tuning. from what i've read, i should be able to pull at least 12-18mpg out of it, but 10-12 would be ok with me. right now i'm prob at 8-10 if i'm lucky. the odometer isn't working ATM. the speedo cable broke a bit before i bought the car. seems to be a hard part to source, but i know a few spots to look.

Drive510 wrote:
Awesome HR30! I want to say more but Im kinda speechless right now.

thanks man! haha i'm pretty much the same :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:29 pm 

like i said... love the overfenders. :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:31 pm 

Pretty tough car man! That engine suits it so well.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:38 pm 

very nice what sort of prices do these command ?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:06 am 

thanks guys :tu: got a few parts coming in tomorrow hopefully, at least by monday haha...really hope the clutch comes in. it's getting colder here...making the slip even worse :? :oops: i sound like a teenager learning to drive stick when i back up or roll from a stop haha...price on one like mine? hard to say since i've only seen one other with a legal l28 swap...maybe for around $10k-20k USD. if i had a full interior $22k-38k usd. here's one for $35k USD... http://www.goo-net.com/usedcar/spread/g ... 01001.html // cheap one for $9k http://www.goo-net.com/usedcar/spread/g ... 05001.html // $21,200 http://www.goo-net.com/usedcar/spread/g ... 12001.html ..like i've said in other posts, derux's car is a damn steal at $14k

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:34 pm 

G'day.

Nice pickup - made note of this when it was for sale.

PM me an email address as I have (somewhere) a OER/SK Racing Carburetor Manual .pdf - if you don't have it already.

BTW: Don't change the front, it is what it is - the fronts on R30's have a habit of coming in and out of fashion quickly!

Mike.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:28 pm 

Nice R30 you have there, defiantly the best of both worlds 80's car with a 70's heart. I really like the colour aswell :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:41 am 

Union76 wrote:
G'day.

Nice pickup - made note of this when it was for sale.

PM me an email address as I have (somewhere) a OER/SK Racing Carburetor Manual .pdf - if you don't have it already.

BTW: Don't change the front, it is what it is - the fronts on R30's have a habit of coming in and out of fashion quickly!

Mike.

thanks! yea, seems a lot of people saw the for sale ad haha. glad i swooped in when i did :mrgreen: and thanks, i'll send you a email right now! ...i'll prob keep this front. it looks better in person than in pix lol

benny_blanco wrote:
Nice R30 you have there, defiantly the best of both worlds 80's car with a 70's heart. I really like the colour aswell :wink:

yessir! :tu: haha thanx my panda brother

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:36 am 

i need to get some more pix! got a little work done today...

-Found out why heater wasn't working...no blower motor :shock: luckily, last owner gave me a new one and it was super easy to pop in! No more freezing my ass off in the morning :tu:

-Fixed a good amount of shit wiring. Nothing toooo bad though. Just a little frustrating considering how little is actually wired in this car, that it was done so messy and with the smallest gauge wire ever haha. Still some rats nest areas to square away. ETC is now working, now to get the radio bumpin out some tunes.

-tidied up the engine bay some more. the honda guy in me is looking at how easy it would be to do a wire tuck, might start doing some minor work on that. at the very least redo some not very aesthetically pleasingly routed wires.

-turns out clutch was on backorder :evil: another week of revving like a teenager to get my old girl moving down the street haha

-rollbar has some padding on it...secured with duct tape. it works, but ugly as hell. took all that off and used some white zipties. found it odd with all the white zipties and white tape, i had to replace with black ties and real electrical tape, that duct tape was on the only white part of the car haha :roll:

-car had the original floor mats...in the trunk sitting in a puddle of water amassed in the fuel pump area...created a drainage hole for that, worked out where it seems to be leaking rain in from and got the mats all clean. not mint, but they aren't in bad shape at all. while i was back there, cleaned the trunk all up and secured the fuel filter that had been flopping and rattling around. the old school fuel pump is annoying enough on it's own, don't need more noise from that area haha

kinda dig the tails like this...might give it a go until i land on a set of dr tails

Last edited by familycar on Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:18 am 

Ya I dig those taillights too

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 9   [ 166 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next