#
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:21 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ]
 Post subject: Datsun 240c/230 Cedric pillarless hardtop coupe- Build Ideas
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:02 pm 

Hi
Im based in central Victoria Australia and have grown up with old Datsun's and bought, modified and raced 1200 coupes since before I got my licence.

After 15 years of this I decided its time for a different type of project, hopefully I finish this one instead of there always being the next little thing it needs :mrgreen:

I found a 240c two door pillar less coupe and given I had a bit of a soft spot for them bought it. I have spent the last three years trying to decide what to do with it

Given this forum has been so helpful with supplying ideas I thought I would add my little project to it as well in the hope someone else gets a few ideas as well

Post subject: Re: Datsun 240c/230 Cedric pillarless hardtop coupe- Build I
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:19 pm 

This is the ebay pics that convinced me to buy the old girl

Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:09 am 

Two main ideas have surfaced over the last three year of which the second has really been the only true path for about the last two years, but every now and then I see someone else's project and almost change my mind.

Idea was to take the shell and give it little birthday but leave the faded paint just the way it is just a few touch ups in the really bad spots and focus on the drive line

Version one- Retro Tech

RB25det conversion (engineered)
Late auto
R32 GTR wheels 16x8 +32 offset I think
Skyline four spot front brakes with two spot rears
Hidden intercooler
Skyline after market alloy radiator

From the measurements I have take this all should have been quite achievable with the only hurdle that I could see would be the need to get some fancy machining done on the front caliper mounts as the standard caliper mount has a through bolt from one of the steering arm mounts.

Given the availability of parts and aftermarket following I was quite tempted and with some nice ZG flares to finish off the body work I still think this would make a nice project however the second plan has really taken off in my Imagination.

Version Two -A best of factory build.
The idea here is to track down the best factory versions of what the car was fitted with.

First off the car is fitted with an L24 six so I looked at the Zeds for the twin SU engine but decided given the weight of the Cedric I needed more than this so following the Z path the most powerful L series engine is the L28et so this is what i will use

Then came wheels
I have spent more time on this than I care to admit but here goes
The obvious choice is watanabe but given the offsets and the 5x114.3 stud pattern this was a bit expensive for me just for wheels and second hand ones hard to find. So I have settled on running Ford steel rims in 15x6 on the front (Standard 14x5) and getting a set of the same rims widened to 15x8 with a +25 offset for the rear.
This should mean that I don't have to modify the coach work just to get my wheels under. Im then going to modify the standard wheel covers which has a nice enameled Cedric logo in the center to bolt to the face of the rim which should make them look nice a dishy.

I have to this stage tracked down the following parts for this build and hopefully soon will be ready to start

L28 engine 2.8ltr up from 2.4ltr
L28 efi manifold loom and computer (na engine)
L28 turbo manifold
L28 turbo rocker cover (no advantage over standard just has big turbo logo cast in it)

Power steering and air con to upspec the options (not optioned on the car from factory)

New alloy radiator

R31 skyline auto which has a overdrive (same series so hope I can just change bellhousing over)

As I collect more bits and proceed with the build I hope to post up what I learn and what I fail at (hopefully not to much) as I would love to see more of these cars out there rather than being left to die.

Looking for suggestions and tips anyone has as well.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:22 am 

Hmmmm - you need someone good on photoshop to help visualize.

Given it is quite a chunky design I wonder if the sports elements of your proposals could be out of sorts for the body shape. In Japan there is a movement channeling American hot rod culture into Japanese rides. I would throw out a different idea to look into - low rider with some custom paint. It is a cruiser after all. Vh41 engine conversion.........

Keep the Japanese detailing but give the body some attitude with paint and low....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:15 am 

Well in terms of looks, why don't you take a page out of the classic Crown look:

So keep it clean and stock, lower it on some narrow hotrod styled wheels, like Mooneyes Speedmaster (like the pic above), keep the offset stockish and classy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:07 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Sell it to me :D

What about something along these lines?

or.....

Or just lowered on a deep set of Hayashis.
Imho that would be just about perfect.

Last edited by 31GUN on Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:11 pm 

Since you are thinking domestic wheel types... Have you ever considered any of the lite steel wheels from Basset.. or Aero. They make and have custom offsets for steel wheels.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:01 pm 

please don't put ford 12-slotters on it! :td:

the older falcon steelies are cool though, like these ones on my mates car. much nicer looking centers with or without the hub caps.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:20 pm 

Old school wheels and tyre look without going too low (dont want to destroy the ride) is I think where Im headed

With running the factory wheel covers you wont be able to tell what type of wheel Im running just that the rears are wide.

Should look something along the lines of the Green ford pic but with a bigger wheel and tyre

Looking at 235/50/15 for the rear with a 205/65/15 on the front

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:59 pm 

The classic crowns are some of the the pics I have been looking at and I have been test fitting with some 15x8 steel wheels

Fitted with some free 225 rubber its looking promising

and with this bad photoshop work the look I want with the wheel covers on with maybe a chrome dress ring instead of white walls

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:03 am 

please please please don't RB this.
L28 bored out to 3.1L, race cam, triple carb.

here's some links for 5x114.3 14inch wheels -

SSR 14inch 5x114.3 with tyres -
http://auctions.search.yahoo.co.jp/sear ... 2084231070

SSR 14inch 5x114.3 without tyres -
http://auctions.search.yahoo.co.jp/sear ... 2084008480

Work Equip (01, 02, 03) 5x114.3 without tyres -
http://auctions.search.yahoo.co.jp/sear ... 2084008480

could find more if you wanted

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:38 am 

Yeah Rb is out I have bought the L28 the manifolds etc now so L28 it is

Even with the over bore and stroke to get the 3.1 (too expensive buy the way) this car would struggle with power

Not hp mind you but torque it weighs something like 1350kg and with the bigger rubber etc probably +1400kg then Im 130kg so with any NA engine other than say the 4.5ltr patrol 6cyl engine (which doesnt fit) torque is going to be a bit light on

Love those old JDM wheels but I have found it hard to find the offset. I need a +25 in a 8inch to fit without body mods

Almost bought a set the other day but they went to high on bidding (roadworthy has to come first at this stage) and its only about $300 for the custom offset steel wheels then once its on the road I can look for that special set of old school rims.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:36 am 

Gorgeous!! :D :D

For power ideas pay a visit to the Ozdat forum.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:33 pm 
Administrator

wondering how long it'd take for somebody to build up one of the jumbo coupes!
immediately thought of the 84:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:57 am 

Love the race pics

My favorite color too

Plans for this one are a lot more tame than that I think as my budget really doesn't extend to full resprays any time soon

Adding to the best of factory theme I have a disk brake rear end from a 280c as well

Hoping as it the same series diff and the same wheel track I can just swap axles and all for upgrade.

Anyone have any ideas on the interior I was thinking of getting repair work done on the standard seats?

Im also a bit concerned I might have to find some better bumpers has any one had theirs straightened?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:43 am 

Location: Elbow deep in grease, in a garage somewhere in Sydney
If you're after a bit more torque but want to stay with the simplicity of the L-series have you thought of a mild Turbo L28? Keep it mild and focus on low rpm torque and you'd have a comfortable cruoser with enough poke to chase traffic without having to flog it everywhere you go. They're injected too which will make them easy to live with.
My Zed runs a temperamental worked L28, cammy with webbers (albeit poorly executed) is a pig to drive.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:06 pm 

tj75gc wrote:
If you're after a bit more torque but want to stay with the simplicity of the L-series have you thought of a mild Turbo L28? Keep it mild and focus on low rpm torque and you'd have a comfortable cruoser with enough poke to chase traffic without having to flog it everywhere you go. They're injected too which will make them easy to live with.

There is 240C at the Ozdat forum with a similar setup, right now is not running the turbo but it will be at some time.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ]