#
It is currently Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:03 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Worst GTR replica ever?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:28 pm 

Hmmm, brown (black?) left hand drive GTR replica.... not by any stretch of the imagination.

Slapping over-fenders on a 240K does not a GTR make.

http://www.motoringme.com/features/c110 ... line-gt-r/

RHD instrument panel on a LHD dash, now that is just plain weird.

Post subject: Re: Worst GTR replica ever?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:55 pm 
Mild Cam

I don't hate it, but I guess having never gotten these in the States I'm far more accepting of certain sins. It's an interesting car in its own right, but certainly a poor choice for the purposes of that article.

1988 Mazda RX-7
Ex-JNCs: 1980 Datsun 510, 1979 Mazda RX-7, 1986 Mazda RX-7, 1992 Mazda Miata

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:15 pm 

I think it's a fairly decent job, all things considered. IMHO, it looks better finished than some of the others I've seen out there that are RHD. It will never be confused for a real one by those in the know, but I'd still love to drive it around.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:29 pm 

I like it.

72-87 Civic
84-87 CRX
86-89 Integra
79-87 Prelude
76-89 Accord

Parts, cars, collectibles and more!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:00 pm 

someone sounds like a hater..

who could it be..

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:30 pm 

A few wrong details... But still a nice car. Like the paint! 8)

AJ

1975 HGC110 Datsun 240K Skyline Sedan (Yonmeri)
1976 KHGC110 Datsun 240K Skyline Hardtop Coupe (Kenmeri) (Race car project)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:49 am 

great looking car IMO. not a good fit for the article maybe and def would ditch the gtr badge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:27 am 

pretty bad choice of car for a gtr article. car is cool in its own way but def no gtr copy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:15 am 

I dont hate the car. I dont like that the article author and/or owner are trying to pass it off as a GTR "Replica". Takes more than over fenders, front and rear spoilers to make a "replica".

There are alot more bits required to make it a GTR "look alike", and an S20 to truly make it a "Replica".

Would be interested to see some under bonnet photos to see how the LHD conversion was done to the RHD car.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:57 am 

i personally think its ridiculous to say you need an s20 to make a replica, its a REPLICA not the real thing. :roll:

id be very happy to own that car its a nice replica imo for a fraction of the cost.
if you could find a genuine c110 gtr how much would it cost ? £50000 ?
i wouldnt want to plough massive ammounts of money into a replica trying to make it perfectly correct because it will never be worth anywhere near as much as the real thing no matter what is done to it.
for the record i could afford to buy an original c110 gtr outright but i wouldnt as although i do like them i wouldnt spend that sort of money on one.
maybe they just couldnt find a genuine c110 gtr and owner willing to do the article, so they used the next best thing which i dont see any problem with.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:11 am 

the only thing it has the same is the rear spoiler and flares. it's 99% closer to orignale then been a replica.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:30 am 

scooobyslayer wrote:
i personally think its ridiculous to say you need an s20 to make a replica, its a REPLICA not the real thing. :roll:

I didn't invent the English language, I just try to use it correctly. :roll:

rep·li·ca /ˈreplikə/
Noun
1. An exact copy or model of something, esp. one on a smaller scale.
2. A duplicate of an original artistic work.

du·pli·cate /ˈd(y)o͞opləkit/
Adjective
Exactly like something else, esp. through having been copied.
Noun
One of two or more identical things.

The problem is that they are describing the car as a "Replica" GTR. When its not even a good attempt at a GTR copy or look alike. (Two common terms down here, "look alike", and "replica". Look alikes look like that car they are emulating, but the engine might be different, interior might also be not exactly correct. But If you advertise it as a 'replica" it better damn well have the right engine and trim to match).

The penultimate paragraph is the real issue here. If they had left that out, instead of trying to pass this car off as a "replica", I wouldn't have bothered creating this thread.

Quote:
The rest of the car has been upgraded as a replica GT-R complete with external badging, wheel-arch extensions, front and rear spoilers and grille.
There is nothing an "exact copy" of a GTR here, apart from the overfenders, spoilers and Skyline GT side emblems.

Things that make this a poor attempt at a copy, look alike, or visual replica (minus the S20) are:
Not white, red or silver.
Incorrect GTR badge on the front (R32 or R33 item used)
240K GT badge on the rear (should be a C110 GTR badge)
Stock Skyline Grill that has been chromed (should be a GTR grill, satin gray colour).
No fender mirrors.
Stock tail light surrounds (should be GTR items).
Stock fuel filler/side vent (Should be GTR items).

Lets ingore the interior because they said it hasn't had the GTR :roll: treatment yet.

Calling this a replica GTR is an insult to the people that have actually gone to the effort of building a car that actually looks like a GTR using correct parts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:53 pm 

I've used the word "Tribute" with some success before, but anyways . . .

Just based on my experience with GTRs, the component that makes a vintage GTR a "GTR" is the engine and drivetrain, with less emphasis on how the car looks. The way an s20 pulls and sounds is an experience unique to the GTR, which is not duplicable by using an L-series engine. Note: I am not saying its a "better" experience, just a unique one, based on my experiences with Japanese cars.

I'd venture to say that (setting aside pricing for a moment) many enthusiasts, when given the choice between a bone-stock authentic GTR, and one with a 3.1, would probably find the 3.1 the better car to own, maintain, and enjoy. It would certainly be faster. I think having these "tribute" GTRs in whatever form they take on is a good thing, if it helps increase awareness and enjoyment of these old, special cars.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:15 pm 

xs10shl wrote:
Just based on my experience with GTRs, the component that makes a vintage GTR a "GTR" is the engine and drivetrain, with less emphasis on how the car looks.

No no no. Absolutely not. I don't agree....

'Part Number One' is a genuine factory-designated PGC10, KPGC10 or KPGC110 bodyshell. I could have a bare but genuine GT-R bodyshell - with no engine / drivetrain / trim / wiring / etc - and I would STILL have a genuine, numbered, GT-R. A finite source. A non-transferable / transmutable asset.

I could have a GT-R specific S20 engine, drivetrain, wiring, trim and all the GT-R specific nick-nacks under the sun, but if I don't have a genuine GT-R bodyshell then I don't have a GT-R.....

I know a good ( a really good ) KPGC10 *replica* in Japan. It really is a replica, in the true sense of the word. It has the correct S20 engine for its year of production, and all of the GT-R specific items you'd expect to see on a genuine KPGC10 ( although it's a recently created period-correct race car ) and yet it's not a genuine GT-R because its bodyshell / identity is not that of a genuine GT-R. The only reason it isn't a *fake* is because nobody is claiming that it's a real GT-R.....

I'll show some photos of it if you're interested.

xs10shl wrote:
I think having these "tribute" GTRs in whatever form they take on is a good thing, if it helps increase awareness and enjoyment of these old, special cars.

That's one way of looking at it, but my personal experience is that there's a real lot of bad reporting and consequent misunderstanding going on these days. How many times do we see *lookalikes* being mistaken for the real thing? I see it happening more and more, and it's like Groundhog Day. No disrespect to the owners of such cars, but when you've affixed 'GT-R' emblems to your GT or GT-X you ARE giving your car a badge that carries a lot of baggage. Much of the kudos of that badge came from the unique specification of the original PGC10, KPGC10 and KPGC110 GT-Rs ( a very high spec for a production saloon car of the period ) and more specifically the racing successes of the PGC10 and KPGC10 in period. That baggage can weigh heavy sometimes. When people talk about the "legendary Hakosuka" they are probably not talking about a three-box saloon car with a single carbed L20A engine and a four speed...

I've actually got a leg on either side of the fence here: I've been building my own *replica* PS30-SB Fairlady Z432-R for too many years to remember now ( certainly more than ten, and not finished yet... ). I've gone to the trouble of getting a proper 432-specific S20 twin cam engine and drivetrain, and many of the 432 / 432-R specific nick-nacks that are appropriate to the car. Those parts I cannot find / cannot afford, I've tried to replicate. It's a big job. When I've finished, I'll still have what is essentially just a modified 1970 Fairlady Z-L. It will never be a genuine 432, let alone a genuine super-lightweight 432-R. I will be mortified if anyone were to think I was ever trying to pass it off as a genuine 432 or 432-R, and I'd be doubly mortified if the owners of any genuine cars believed I was trying to say that my *replica* was the equivalent of theirs.

Alan T.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:04 pm 

Just to clarify, I absolutely agree with Alan that only a factory-stamped "*PGC*" tub can ever be an authentic GTR. I'd still say that the GTR's mechanicals are what makes the GTR special to me, and perhaps less-so the outside bits, which IMHO is what many seem to focus their attention on.

If the "GTR" model designation had originally just been a "body-kit-fast-look" GTX, with no mechanical upgrades, I'd be less excited about it. Thankfully, it was so much more than that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:31 pm 

not really diggin the wheels but its still nice even if its a rep.

76' Datsun 280z

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlOSJmyHPd0

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:41 pm 

mr camouflage wrote:
scooobyslayer wrote:

I didn't invent the English language, I just try to use it correctly. :roll:

rep·li·ca /ˈreplikə/
Noun
1. An exact copy or model of something, esp. one on a smaller scale.
2. A duplicate of an original artistic work.

du·pli·cate /ˈd(y)o͞opləkit/
Adjective
Exactly like something else, esp. through having been copied.
Noun
One of two or more identical things.

The problem is that they are describing the car as a "Replica" GTR. When its not even a good attempt at a GTR copy or look alike. (Two common terms down here, "look alike", and "replica". Look alikes look like that car they are emulating, but the engine might be different, interior might also be not exactly correct. But If you advertise it as a 'replica" it better damn well have the right engine and trim to match).

The penultimate paragraph is the real issue here. If they had left that out, instead of trying to pass this car off as a "replica", I wouldn't have bothered creating this thread.

Quote:
The rest of the car has been upgraded as a replica GT-R complete with external badging, wheel-arch extensions, front and rear spoilers and grille.
There is nothing an "exact copy" of a GTR here, apart from the overfenders, spoilers and Skyline GT side emblems.

Things that make this a poor attempt at a copy, look alike, or visual replica (minus the S20) are:
Not white, red or silver.
Incorrect GTR badge on the front (R32 or R33 item used)
240K GT badge on the rear (should be a C110 GTR badge)
Stock Skyline Grill that has been chromed (should be a GTR grill, satin gray colour).
No fender mirrors.
Stock tail light surrounds (should be GTR items).
Stock fuel filler/side vent (Should be GTR items).

Lets ingore the interior because they said it hasn't had the GTR :roll: treatment yet.

Calling this a replica GTR is an insult to the people that have actually gone to the effort of building a car that actually looks like a GTR using correct parts

Touché!!!

AJ

1975 HGC110 Datsun 240K Skyline Sedan (Yonmeri)
1976 KHGC110 Datsun 240K Skyline Hardtop Coupe (Kenmeri) (Race car project)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:25 am 
Mild Cam

How do you feel about GT-R replicas in colors besides white, red, or silver, assuming all of the other details are correct?

1988 Mazda RX-7
Ex-JNCs: 1980 Datsun 510, 1979 Mazda RX-7, 1986 Mazda RX-7, 1992 Mazda Miata

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:53 pm 
Administrator

nah, i bet he was inspired by this:

sadly didn't translate well to a khgc110..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:35 pm 

To the original point, I wouldn't put much stock in what you read in a Middle Eastern blog. Knowing someone who works for one, they are more about the pics than actual factual content. :wink:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next