#
It is currently Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:48 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: 1978 Datsun 280z Build
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:47 pm 

I picked up a 1978 Datsun 280z from San Diego California.

Swapped the spark plugs out before the long drive from San Diego

The off-white interior is starting to grow on me and I have a feeling I'm gonna keep the blue.

She's 5-speed and running an L28. The car made it to Canada from California strong with no issues aside from some high idling at one point. The car got me back in one piece from San Diego to BC.

I shut the car off to talk to the border patrol officer cause he couldn't hear me over how loud the car was. After that we ran into a bit of a problem. The car wasn't turning over, so we had to push it to the vehicle import office on the Canada end of the border. After all the papers were filled out, we ended up having to remove the hose connected to the airflow meter and the throttle body to get it started.

Glad she pulled through all the way to Canada. The car is currently sitting at an auto shop for inspection until Monday.

My dad's been building Datsun's since he was a kid, and surprisingly I didn't develop much interest to start a Datsun project until recently. I sold my RSX and luckily, since I was already visiting California for Christmas vacation, picked this one up there, (with my uncles help). Although my dad knows this car inside and out, he unfortunately isn't home much to walk me through this build like he wanted to when I was younger.

I'll be posting my build here. I'm currently a University student, so after some time and hopefully through trial and error I'll get this car up to what she's meant to be! :tu:

btw, anyone from the lower mainland of BC working an S30?

Post subject: Re: 1978 Datsun 280z Build
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:58 pm 

Been awhile and have been caught up with school, so I haven't uploaded any progress recently.

Since the weather started to clear up out here in BC, I decided it was a good time to take her out for a spin. Was going good for a few days, but now she has a hard time starting up a second time after running for a bit.

Starts up fine the first time, but after shutting off the car and turning it on a second time it has some difficulties. The car will pretty much turn over and the engine will start, but then the car has a hard time keeping itself on and just dies off.

Checked a few other forums and a few other people with this problem said it had to do with fuel pump issues and clogged fuel filters.

Pulled out the fuel pump just before the day ended, still need to swap it with one from the other datsun

Found this spoiler sitting in front of the old 280 im using for parts...

I'm also running into an overheating problem. Seems to cool off when the car is moving, the over heating happens when the car is idling or running at a stand still. I have a feeling it has to do with the clutch fan...

Still a newbie at all this, so any advice/suggestions come in handy!

Post subject: Re: 1978 Datsun 280z Build
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:02 am 

Welcome,

I would suggest, rebuilding/replacing the fan clutch, http://www.hammondsplains.com/newtechtips/cooling/ , replacing the thermostat, removing the radiator and having it boiled and rodded. Then Flush the engine with the rad out. Do not drive it until you do these fixes! You run a high possibility of overheating and warping the heads. Good luck!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]