#
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:26 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: CrewDawg's 83 Tekkaman KDR30
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:04 am 

It's been a while since I've been on the forum. I decide it was time to retire from the Air Force, and needed a project for my new found free time. I've wanted a Tekkaman ever since I got stationed in Okinawa in the late '90's. When I got back to Okinawa from a 9 month deployment to Alaska, I placed an order in for a 2 door 5 speed RS-Turbo...(old cars don't last too long in Sub topical Okinawa). It took 6 months to track down a near stock RS that I wanted for at price I was willing to pay. Here's how she looked after the dealer cleaned her up:

She's not perfect, but hey, I practically stole it for the price I paid, and a 30 year old car has 30 years of built up problems.

She developed a lean condition under boost shortly after I got her, so I spent quite a bit of time troubleshooting the problem...I ended up replacing EVERY hose and vacuum line, replaced the intake and exhaust gaskets, new coil, plugs and ignition module, and cleaned out the fuel tank, fuel filter, and fuel pump. In the end, it ended up being partially clogged hard fuel lines. Lines replaced, and with almost every sensor replaced, I'm back in business.

Later on, my fuel pump modulator failed on me. Not wanting to mess it up, I had an Avionics troop replace the power transistor...bad decision. He ended up frying a couple of the ground traces, which in turn fried my modulator. I jumpered it out for a while, but needed a new modulator to for safety reasons...my pump was running all the time once the key was turned on. I stole one from a junkyard S13 and wired it up. Now, my fuel pump turns off after priming.

I catch a lot of crap from my airmen in the unit because I'm old skool and not jumping on the R32 bandwagon...there's 10 in my unit alone. They get a laugh when I have to take the wife's car to work because the DR won't start, or is running rough, but, I wouldn't have it any other way. Got a few more weeks of outprocessing before hopping a plane back to the States. Ive been working on refreshing her interior, and getting all odds and ends I need before she gets loaded on the boat back to Florida. I'll have more pics up shortly. Thanks!

Jimmy

Post subject: Re: CrewDawg's 83 Tekkaman KDR30
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:09 am 

Wekcome back to the land of the big BX!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:31 am 

Thanks.

I picked up 6 Longchamp XR4Z's dirt cheap, but dont have time to refinish them before I leave, so they are at the wheel shop getting straitened out and refinished.

I swapped out the hideous wood rimmed Personal wheel with a Nardi Classic that I got off a friend. It'll need to be recovered, so an Autobacs cover will do for now.

I needed some new door latch strikers, but Nissan did not have any in stock. A quick search on the Jenesis website turned some up...now my doors don't rattle every time I go over a bump. I also picked up a few more goodies for later

My badges are in need of a rechroming, and NOS ones are going for scalpers prices on Yahoo Japan Auctions. Nissan still makes the fender "RS" badges, so I picked a couple up from the local Nissan parts dealer. Jenesis makes decals that are the same size as the badges, so I'm going to use them until mine are refurbed.

They are not 3D, but they don't look too bad.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:34 am 

Congrats on the purchase, looking forward to seeing the car progress

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:30 am 

nice man! i had a 32 gtr before the hype started, really glad to sell it haha. its insane how many are on base now, i def can relate to not wanting one anymore... the 30 will be endless problems, but its part of the fun lol. yours looks a lot more complete and in better shape than mine was :tu:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:11 am 

Yeah, its getting out of hand with the R32's...especially since they are legal people are shelling out the "Fast and Furious" tax. I watched the price double to triple over night.

She's about 90% complete. A lot of stuff that's she's missing is no longer made by Nissan, or people want your first born on YJA. I did find a website:

http://www.partsfan.com

That has almost all Japanese manufacturers electronic parts catalog online. What I like the most is that it has a parts cross reference feature. My drivers side window motor gear was so rusted that the regulator track wore a grove in the gear. I used the parts cross reference, and found out that same era Maxima's and 280ZX's use the exact same motor. Went to auto zone online and got one for $80, Nissan wanted $360 and they weren't sure they could source it. New motor works like a champ.

I got my wheels back from the shop...really impressed. Now, I've gotta go tire shopping.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:50 pm 

Nice, wheels came up a treat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:22 am 

Thanks.

The Skyline has a new pair of shoes. The dealer I bought my car from reccomended a tire shop for me since there are not a lot of sizing references for this car these days. I took all 6 wheels down because I wasn't sure what would fit. This guy took brand new tires off his shelf and fitted them to my wheels to make sure they would fit. If a combo didn't work, he would unmount them and stick a different size until we had the right combo. I ended up with the 17x7et+25's on the front (the 17x8's were too wide, and a spacer would have taken the wheels out too far to be legal in Japan) the and he was able to get my 17x8.5et+32's to fit with a bit of stretch. Wheels and tires done...new suspension bushings, struts, and lowering springs are next, but they will have to wait until I get Stateside...she's going on a long boat ride real soon.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:24 pm 

nice! when i shipped my car out of pocket, had no issues. hell, all i did was raise it up lol. was catless and everything still. the process is super easy. all this shit online makes it sound hard and daunting, its not at all.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]