#
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:55 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
 Post subject: stateside Hako/JDM car owners
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:26 pm 

who are you using for your insurance, and have you had any problems or run into any snags?

Post subject: Re: stateside Hako/JDM car owners
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:47 pm 

I use Hagerty. They let me set a declared value on the car which was nice. No complaints here, but haven't had to use them for anything yet.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:53 pm 

someone else just told me that stae farm has a declared value policy, i will check into that, i was kinda hoping someone was using USAA. im considering them for banking too already.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:20 am 

i need to get my shit together and get things lined up for shipping haha. have 1.5 years though... for insurance idk about usaa covering cars like ours. i've heard of others using hagerty, but as above, no one that's actually had to use them after an incident

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:11 am 

familycar wrote:
i need to get my shit together and get things lined up for shipping haha. have 1.5 years though... for insurance idk about usaa covering cars like ours. i've heard of others using hagerty, but as above, no one that's actually had to use them after an incident

Hagerty is one of the most respected insurers of classic cars in the US. A good friend of mine had his classic keyed, and Hagerty paid to repaint the car by one of the top guys in the area, no questions.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:12 am 

[quote="wookieballa"] i was kinda hoping someone was using USAA. im considering them for banking too already.[/quote]

Go online and ask USAA. The only possible problem that I can think of might be that due to lack of body parts stateside they might not give you collision and comprehensive coverage. USAA has insured my RL411 since 1968, but then it was an export model geared to the US and Canadian market.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:07 pm 

I used USAA initially to show proof of insurance for registration. Then switched over to Hagerty. As for the concern of body panel replacement, I have a true story. A retired military friend of mine in Seattle had his GTR32 hit in an accident. He used USAA for insurance as well. At the end of the week he had his quote for repairs (including new rear glass, door and rear 1/4 from Japan). USAA paid up without a hassle. He still uses them. He was not dropped. He no longer drives the car as a daily but that is mostly due to weather concerns in WA (snow,ice,rain). I have not heard of anyone crashing their hako here stateside, but I imagine the process is the same.

USAA will offer to put you in contact with their classic car underwriter (I forget the name). They never returned my calls o even start a policy. Not a good sign.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:53 pm 

I've been with Hagerty since 2007. I've never had any problems; they let me state how much I wanted to declare for my insurance and its been smooth sailing ever since. I have tried to go to USAA as well, and they did the same thing: they said that they 'could' put me in contact with subsidy insurance company that handled classic cars, but I never ventured into it.

Don't forget that that Hagerty covered Thousands(!) of claims for their customers after Superstorm Sandy, and I haven't heard of any complaints. Good luck with your decision.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:46 pm 

Poor answer, but... :lol:

Stated-value policy with Progressive, haven't filed a claim, both my JDM cars have USDM counterparts if I ever need sheet metal. :P

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:02 pm 

I'm going to touch base with State Farm, and Hagerty i guess. I dont need to be dealing with USAA if they arent pro-active.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:30 am 

i'll probably go for hagerty as well when i move back stateside

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]