#
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:42 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Parts review thread
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:40 am 

Ive been thinking about this for a while. I've tried some things that no one else has listed as their mods, so i wanted to start a thread where we share our experiences on misc parts.

I will start by telling you about the starter i bought off ebay from a seller by the name or "Datsun Parts"
heres a link to the same thing:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-Z-240Z-280ZX-510-Heavy-Duty-Reduction-Starter-/400317123893?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item5d34c28d35

like any starter, the install was very simple and straight forward. i however went for the gusto and also purchased their "Starter Relay Kit" (Link Below:)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-240Z-Z-280Z-510-620-Starter-Relay-Upgrade-Kit-/150885315461?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2321773385

i didnt attempt to start the car without the two installed together, so i have no idea if one works well without the other, BUT my OEM starter wad started to decline very rapidly in performance, it would slowly struggle to get the car to start for long periods of time, and slowly spool up eventually building enough speed to start the ole L20.

with this new setup, it spins very fast, BUT it may just be my particular setup, but it takes a while for the first start on my engine. i imagine its due for the most part to my timing, but none the less when it DOES start, i dont have issues for the rest of the day, literally BUMP the key and it fires right up. i have to say it was a great purchase, and i recommend this setup to anyone else who has a struggling starter.

here is a side by side with my OEM starter:

and the starter relay: Image

this was really easy to wire up , just 5 wires, i had to extend them all of course because the pigtail is really short. if it came with 3' of wire, it would be awesome, and much easier to hide, but no matter. i have no idea if this really helps much, but i read about a lot of people using similar setups on their old Z's, so i took the dive, and at only $15 it was worth it.

Post subject: Re: Parts review thread
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:09 am 

I am also using this starter. To anybody who isn't running this reduction starter I'd recommend getting one. I found the same results as wookie, my engine spins up much faster and starts quicker. I'm not using the relay mod on mine. Although, I would imagine you'd get additional benefits with a fresh circuit and relay powering your starter.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:40 pm 

You don't have to go through e-bay. "datsunparts.com" will sell direct and has amazing availability of classic Datsun parts, especially if you are savvy enough to know what other models to look in. Example, I just bought a brand new NABCO 7/8 brake master cylinder for my 1967 Datsun RL411 SSS. Dropped right in! If you search for 411 cylinder you probably get no hits, but search for the 1500 Roadster and it pops up with the warning that although for the roadster and the RL411, the brake line fitting is on the wrong side. True for the roadster and maybe the JDM 411 SSS, but for the export RL411 the roadster "wrong side" is precisely the RL411 "correct side". I have owned this car for 44 years, 6 months and 6 days as of today. To keep it in tiptop shape I have learned what "other" model parts either fit directly or can be coerced to fit.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:39 pm 

I feel dirty for posting in a Datsun thread :P I've got a mate who's bought through these guys, http://www.maddat.com.au/ , always top notch gear without to many hassles

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:45 pm 

the shop i use is Datsunpartsllc.com BTW
there is another shop called Datsunparts.com that sells raodster parts too.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]