#
It is currently Thu May 28, 2015 11:24 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 30 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: My 1978 Skyline Japan restoration
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:24 am 

hey guys! been a lurker on this forum for a bit, really like a lot of you guys' projects. even found the great 1980 Japan post with the rust restoration/repair and fixes but found there was a slight lack of info :( I'm dealing with the same to an extent, but most of my projects rust restoration resides in the engine bay. to save time and to kind of catch up with where I'm at on the project here's a couple of exerts from another forum. many of you may recognize the car, it was once owned by rob kawasaki and imported here a few years ago. we messed with it for a bit as it landed a pretty fun car, L28 triple mikunis full Boso styling etc. my goal isn't to change it all that much, It's just time to fully repair it...modernize it where I can...and give it my own look. hope you enjoy! and Id absolutely love any sort of input :tu:

a couple of years ago before i got the jzx we had a chance to do some of the passenger side repairs, obviously the less worse between the two sides :(

Obviously I'm not done, its all a work in progress still. I decided its time to finish this project up, so I relocated it to my garage where I could put some serious time in and started on the driver side. what i'm finding is pretty painful

I'm not too worried, but this will be quite the undertaking. will it be perfect when i'm done? probably not. but it'll be something me and my pops can cruise and enjoy, after all this is the most fuckboy car this part of the US so whatever haha. some parts showed up that got us chasing goals, toned down the flares, brought back the electronic fender mirrors, aiming for this red car in general, with lots of differences..

our cars already got the rear duckbill and under spoiler, those are the flares we just acquired, we've already got the front lip. going to keep the sharknose and lose those door mirrors/replace with the fender mirrors. ill keep it updated but its gonna be a lot of engine bay prep/rust repair i think for awhile

Post subject: Re: My 1978 Skyline Japan restoration
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:47 am 

so, no surprise I've ran into some trouble already. some of the driver side damage is far more extensive than I thought it would be.

I'm not done remove metal yet I want to stop here and see what neutralizing gel will do to most of this. grabbed a bottle of this rust removal super gel stuff

here it is pictured safely in the mountains, so it's got to be environmentally safe, because I care, SIKE THO.

anyways, I think I'm stuck here for a second. what I'm approaching is a lot of major lower strut tower structural damage. this upper tie rail is no biggy because once I'm done forming the pieces it's all 90s, angles and straights. then I will build my own fender brace bars. most all bracing will be hidden so this thing doesn't look like a 2000s dimple die disaster, needs to look a little period correct. anyways so yeah the strut tower issue, it's tough. gonna plunge into it this weekend and see where I end up but what I'm thinking is I want to cut the rust damaged areas out and weld new pieces in flush. from there I want to make a piece that traces over the whole frame rail with plug welds every 4-6". yeah it may transfer force back a little far and make the car not very susceptible to a decent speed wreck but I don't know how else to give it its strength back

my other issue is the welders I have. love my dynasty but lettuce be real I'm not trying to tig around rust neutralized metals. miller has a killer incentive deal on their millermatic a right now. got a millermatic211 for $1080 on sale and will be getting a $200 miller rebate in 2-3 weeks. not mad about that and finally have a nice consistent mig capable of delicate jobs like this.

so anyways, toss input In guys. I'll post up some of the fixes, if you all see anything you don't like then I'm all ears. just learning here, not trying to pretend I'm super experienced.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:00 pm 

so made a little headway tonight. i'm stuck on welding for now while i wait for my millermatic to show up. so i exposed the last (known) major rust issue and got it all cleaned up/started templating. This is a taste of how every single rust section was covered on this thing :|

fill in the blank with this dude

then make a template for the entire coverup

i did this on the other side already, it rusted in the exact same spot in the exact same way

these are some of the other guys i'm gonna 'get' to tackle haha

should be fun, looking forward to the challenge. this thing won't look showroom it just needs to work correctly and last awhile longer.

also cause its cool, the fatty rear SSR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:49 pm 

got my miller in, grabbed some new full 2' and 4' bottles and fired her up

neutralized and primed inside the frame rail before buttoning it up

once i welded the fill-in piece i came up with this guy right here

previously rusted steel doesn't weld worth a FARK no matter how much i cleaned or tried to burn into the new 16 ga.

this is the car looking all cool

im gonna take the same approach i did with the frame to body intersections and copy it on the inside sides of the frame rails. a piece that 90s and wraps around the back of the front tie bar with soem gusset reinforcements. iunno should be pretty strong after this. got a few more patches then its time to stitch weld the engine bay all up and get her sprayed! the L28 should be coming back from a basic rebuild soon and will finally be reunited with our newly rebuilt mikuni's. many excite!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:53 pm 

got a little more done last night on driver side. The upper frame needs about 3 pieces, I neutralized and primed all the oem stuff and got 2/3 pieces done. each one slips inside oem sheet metal joints so it's not just thin shit butt welded to other rusty thin shit

worked on some stitch spacing and to see how the old metal would act to various settings, I like the results enough that I'll keep going with it as each area gets cleaned and gone over

then I started getting into the meat and potatoes work, cutting back into the frame rail in order to prep for the main rail work

this will probably be the hardest yet most crucial of all the repairs, no turning back now I suppose

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:00 pm 

started a few days ago on the frame rail that rusted through, thankfully it was just one side. although i'm going to overlay both sides..

hole no more duh, 12 gauge filler piece welded on for strength before the overlay. as always everything inside was neutralized

fabbed up this guy for strength along the rail, its 16 ga not too crazy. all the extra metal doesn't really bug me the damn car weighed 2600lb from the factory so whatever, she could probably use some lb  :rofl:

all zapped in, its primed on the backside of both pieces i just wire wheeled it away

time to address that shock tower hole

forming, god i hate metal forming i'm seriously lacking in the right tools to do it correctly. whatever make do with what ya got i guess

zapped that in too, took all the rust off the rest of that side of the chassis and fully stitch welded it. ready to finish up the last couple pieces on passenger side the nbuild some fender braces and a giant fstb

turning out neat, the L28 comes home soon, i've got a stack of RHD s14 front suspension bits that i'm going to be retrofitting. then its time to research what kind of pressure the 280z L28 powersteering pumps made..and whether or not it will play nice with a 240sx rack. the car originally had gearbox/pitman&idler setup hahaha get fucked somewhere

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:05 pm 

got a little more done on the car last night. squirt gunned in the passenger side rail reinforcement. this frame rail was in much better shape so no underlying repairs needed to be made

at that point I was tired of making pieces. a sheet of 4x8 16ga was donated for the project, but the motherfucker is hot rolled.  :mad: I've had to grind the scaling off every single piece I've made so far my lungs want to commit suicide.

cleaned up the firewall to prepare it for plates and block offs tonight, stitch welding along the firewall pinch weld and started paint stripping/neutralizing the front core support. I can't say ENOUGH great things about this neutralizing gel. it's seriously so good. most of everything it's removed comes off by hand...and we're talking about some pretty heavy shit not just light surface stuff

so much cleaner afterwards, literally every where's cleaning up that good. finish lines in sight, need to grab some 3m seam sealer then etch and seal the bay with some SEM aerosols until I'm ready to spray.

last major job left inside the engine bay is supports. I want to run supports from the shock towers to the firewall and I want to triple point a FSTB. however when I look at classic race cars or race inspired styling I see no such things. I'm not over here trying to jam dimple dies and shit into this car. I know a lot of the pieces will require breaks and I think bead rolling is respectful to the period, iunno just at a loss. if anybody has some cool pics or inspiration to share Id be appreciative! otherwise guess I gotta roll solo on some ideas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:50 pm 

Very impressed with your repairs. Definitely be watching the build progress. I do wonder if the bonnet might look a bit more pronounced without the massive flares but you can always go bigger later :tu:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:59 am 

DATG130, we were kind of wondering the same thing. As of right now I'm about to order new FRP front fenders from restored.jp. I've got to be honest, in the process I'm tempted to see about getting an oe bonnet and running the stock front end configuration. It looks so great with honeycomb its hard for me to deny it :tu:

Well, I thought I was going to go full force on the bay until I could spray it and rest at ease. But I started wondering just how well the newer steering setup was going to fit and work and quite honestly became a little concerned. So I made an effort to fit it up last night and confirm how it would work and that it would play nice, very pleased with the results!

this is the old setup for those who haven't seen it

seems like it'd work great, on a truck. get outta here. so here we go..

car is now equipped with rack and peanut steering

also as you can see I'd taken a chance to fit up s13 flca and spindles. the shock tower stud spacing is identical to a 240sx and the heights seem close, I may be able to get by with just using a standard 240sx coilover which is pretty great.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:08 am 

Seriously cool car good work on future proofing it! :tu:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:05 am 

Nice job on the metal work. Looks good.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:14 am 

Holy smokes! Awesome work so far, mate. Keen to see more updates! :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:09 am 

thanks a lot guys! i've got some 240sx tension rod brackets showing up today so i'm going to test fit 240sx tension spherical tension rods, s13 front coilovers and start figuring out how to adapt the stock steering rack to a splined u-joint setup so that it may adapt to the new steering rack. i'll keep all this updated :tu:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:36 am 

made a little more headway on the skyline this weekend. test fitted s13 FLCA, s13 front coils, 180sx brakes, stock skyline tension rods and a stock skyline sway bar. for the most part everything lines up real great and/or got me close enough to figure out what i'm going to modify to make things work.

after seeing the end results i contacted alex at battle version and he shot me over a picture of this setup that should work perfect on my car. going to purchase this setup along with the parts needed to convert the inner bushing of the flca to spherical so i can alter flca length. i unfortunately believe i need to go about 5-10mm shorter than stock so the car may possibly suffer some additional bumpsteer amongst other issues, not the end of the world..its not a track car.

lost my ass at harbor freight, seems to be going rate.

finally a decent brake so i can work over this rail piece to cover some of my previous repairs

the list is slowly dwindling down on the necessary repairs i have to make before i can recoat the wheel wells and finalize engine bay paint. need to speed it up, the L28 should be coming back from the machine shop shortly and I'd like to hurry and stuff it in the car!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:31 am 

:D Nice work! This thread has motivated me to start work on my own C210!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:20 am 

Awesome build man!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:17 pm 

Love reading this thread! Wish i had your skills.

Still upset I sold my 1978 C210 sedan :cry:

visit at https://www.facebook.com/WestsideKRacing or Instagram: @GroupC240K

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:32 am 

Thank you very much guys! I appreciate the kind words :)

Thanks to the help of Alex over at Battle Version I'm finally able to get the ball rolling on this car once again (ha, as if I'm at a lack of things that need to be done)

We spoke on the phone, I explained the style of tension rod bracket the car has, the lengths I'm gonna need, etc. etc. We ended up with a concoction of ae86, 240sx and z33 parts from tie rods to tension arms...and it looks so cool!!

I very roughly test fitted the stuff on real quick here. Alex suggested trying out a thick piece of steel that can bolt to the stock tension rod location on the arm and adapt to the clevis style of mounting. I like this idea especially because it allows me to alter tension rod angle of attack on the arm. Factory 240sx tension arm bolts put the bearing at about 7-8 degrees off from what the factory tension rod brackets are clocked to. Its not the end of the world but I'd like for it to sit a bit more neutral. The piece of steel thats roughly set in this picture isn't what I want to end up with, I will be kicking a new bracket inwards, just gotta send some drawings off to my waterjet guy. In order for this all to work though I need my FLCA to have compliance, I'm also choosing to set the arm in about 5-10mm shorter than stock. I'd like to gain some more wheelbase in order to fit a larger wheel up front, as well as further correct my tension rod alignment. So I started modifying my FLCA to accept the spherical setup I got from Alex.

a little strength never hurt anything :)

all done, next up I need to concentrate on getting my tension rod offset piece jetted and test fit. I also need to get my steering shaft shortened as the bolted rubber joint hits a bit far down the line, too aggressive for a 240 style joint to clear the frame rail. More on this later this week. Also! This awesome awesome awesome pic was sent to me from a magazine scan back in 07!

such a cool mind trip to see where the car has been in its lifetime

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:53 am 

Well I placed an order up for some McMaster Carr goodies and sent off a CAD drawing I'd setup for the tension clevis to properly adapt to a 240 FLCA. Then I welded up the mcmaster stuff for a new endlink adapter to the 240 FLCA. All in all everything turned out well!

the new angle of attack is perfect, every joint is very relaxed with lots of range of motion remaining

the endlink bracket isn't pretty, but 55 degrees at each end of this spherical...it won't ever bind either

reinforced the subframe after moving the tabs over. there was more work than after these pictures but after about 3-4hrs a side on this thing i was over it haha

sank it in like a winner there

finally, on the ground to test where everything ended up at!

perfect flca angle to subframe

wheels used were just for test fit, flares not installed. trying to size up for the hayashi's i'm planning on ordering. here we have the anticipated ride height +1/4"-1/2" higher due to no motor, 15x9 +0 fronts with 195/50/15 tires and -6 camber (plates jacked all the way in). pleased to say FLCA are stock length i actually didn't end up needing to suck them in. I think I'll end up at 15x8 +0 fronts and 15x9 -13 rears. 205/225 stagger advan seems to make the best sizes for these applications. if anybody has a hookup at 5zigen usa lmk haha, the hayashis are gonna break the bank!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:34 pm 

Wow! I may need you to come over and weld some stuff for me... :mrgreen:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 30 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next