#
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:16 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
 Post subject: Spares availability for C330 Gloria / Cedric
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:47 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Hey all you Datsun-pro's,

I'll need your advice here...
I'm contemplating buying a '77 Nissan Gloria 2000 SGL-E (C331) that I've been offered.
Being the rare 4-door Hardtop, it's a pretty damned cool ride imho. I think it would really compliment my '77 TE61 Trueno, and it would also offer some more space for when I want to take the whole family (yup, wife and two kids) for a cruise in our classic. Basically, I need no convincing that it would be an awesome JNC to own.

But there's always a BUT!
The Gloria needs a fair amount of work as it's been sitting outdoors for quite a few years now. The body really isn't too bad, though some welding is necessary and a full paint job is a must! But what's the spares availability like for these cars?? Being the popular L20 engine, I take it spares for the engine should be easy enough to source. Please correct me if I'm wrong... But how about brake parts? And not least suspension parts such as all the various rubber bushings, strut mounts, dampers, bearings, tie-rods etc etc...? And how about rubber seals? The seals sitting between the frameless front and rear door windows are all but gone! The door seals aren't too good either. Will this present a big problem for me during a resto?

Oh, and please ignore those hideous and vastly oversized alloys!! Needless to say, they will be the first thing to go, in favour of something a little more period correct. Hmmm... perhaps authentic Hayashi Streets...?

What say you guys? Will it be a massive headache getting this big old beauty back on the road, or is it all quite doable??

Best Regards,
Anders.

JDM '77 Toyota Trueno 1600GT Sprinter (TE61)
+ a handful of classic BMW's from the 60's and 70's.

Post subject: Re: Spares availability for C330 Gloria / Cedric
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:06 pm 
Administrator

Wear & tear parts are no prob but .. the ... HT ws? :lol:
Door seals you could make do with generic but they would not have the same odd shapes near the glass

Also a decent amount of used bits on yahoo with an occasional nos piece

It's another one of those "get the nicest, low mileage car possible, or be prepared to improvise"

Word up: these are Datsun Leviathans. Thorough test drive mandatory before you buy it because it looks cool :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:59 pm 

I would buy this in a heartbeat if it was near me!!!

YAJ has all that you need, and parts aren't too hard to come across.

The rubber between the windows is a problem but on my C110 hardtop i found that a Mitsubishi Scorpian (i think its that ?) had very similar and worked a treat.

In Australia we have a shopping chain called Clark Rubber and they stock lots of generic automotive rubber seals etc. I've found most of what they have can be tailored to suit Datsuns. Perhaps you have an equivilant shop near you?

And yeah, those rims are terrible......definately Hayashi ST's!!!!!

AJ

1975 HGC110 Datsun 240K Skyline Sedan (Yonmeri)
1976 KHGC110 Datsun 240K Skyline Hardtop Coupe (Kenmeri) (Race car project)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:05 pm 

:tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu:

AJ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:19 pm 
Administrator

AJ you can't show him that pic and not show some details of the rubbers you've improvised :lol:

Also, let's see what you did for the roofline rubbers where the side glass hits :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:15 pm 

JNC wrote:
AJ you can't show him that pic and not show some details of the rubbers you've improvised :lol:

Also, let's see what you did for the roofline rubbers where the side glass hits :shock:

Ah not my H330 sadly, just an internet photo :oops:

The rubber for between the windows was just a slide on one that kind of matched the original.

and as for the roofline rubbers........rubber soul in Japan is your friend for those....i've not addressed those yet sadly :cry:

AJ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:29 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Thx for the input guys. :tu:

Matt, I'm very well aware that a C331 is not exactly the most sporting JNC around. But I'm fine with that as I'll be keeping the Trueno for charging up and down the twisty mountain roads, while the Gloria would be for leisurely cruising around with the family onboard.
A test drive before purchase sadly isn't an option as the Gloria needs resurrecting before she's going anywhere under her own power, and "get the nicest, low mileage car possible..." also isn't really an option as I believe this one is quite possibly the last one in Hong Kong.
So either I buy this one or I simply move on to something else and don't own a C331...

Datsun Style, there's no such thing as Clark Rubber here in Hong Kong. People in Honkers generally shy away from any kind of DIY work, so shops catering for that sort of thing are far and few between. Guess I'll have to do my shopping in Aus and at Rubber Soul in Japan...

For now I want to make sure that the engine in the Gloria turns. Without any decent place to work on a classic and all my tools being back home in Denmark, I can't quite cope with an old seized engine. If the engine seems okay, I believe I might very well go ahead with my second JNC purchase! :D

Best Regards,
Anders.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:47 am 

Just buy it Anders! :-)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:53 pm 

Cool find. That silver one is here in NZ, so much work in that car but it's super awesome

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:18 pm 

Buy it mate
I've got a two door that I'm in the middle of bringing back to life.
Changed all the rubbers I got from Rare Spares in Australia but Scott's Old rubber had them too.
The rubber between the windows on my car is the same as 180B SSS coupe and is identical in section. It is listed on the above mentioned sites.
Will follow this thread with interest

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:21 am 

Voluptuous

Had the pleasure of checking out a close to Perfect 2dHT this summer
:shock: when owner opened garage door. I didnt know it was there along with a mint 2dht c230

He had somehow managed to dig upp some New parts for it.

Used to be a few regular 4door sedans here but not much left now. Are there any of those in HK?
should share some bodyparts

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:08 am 
JNC Enthusiast

HaHa... thx for the further encouragement guys! :D :D

@R34, that advice is duly noted. :tu:
Have you got a thread going for you 2-door Hardtop? I'd love to see pics, and if I end up buying this C331, I'm sure I could learn heaps from you since you're a few steps ahead of me in the process of resurrecting the old beast...

@tojo, sounds like a seriously nice couple that guy had tucked away in his garage in Norway! The C230 is certainly the most fluent in it's design, but while the C330 isn't quite as pretty I'd argue that it's perhaps got a bit more character of the two.
I know that there's another C330 here in Hong Kong which is a regular 4-door with B-pillar and all. That one is also black. Not near as cool I think, but then it's a 2800E Brougham instead which I suppose makes up for the more ordinary body.

Best Regards,
Anders.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]