#
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:17 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 9 of 10   [ 183 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Stagefumers, Custom R30 build, There is a Update OMG!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:49 am 

mate, Id just do it. Why not!.. .76 will spool fine. :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:43 pm 

well the turbo I have now already flows 60lb/min so I really want to see if there would be enough gains to support redoing my downpipe and my piping.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:20 am 

pm me the full numbers off it, and i will see if i "can" get the maps from someone i know

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:20 am 

Well been doing some stuff on the side. A clean Easy tail light re-coat and tint.

We started off with stock tails, S2 hr30 units to be correct. Sanded down with 800grit and preped for paint, I left the masking to the pro's. Same for the coatings also.

Then a light tack coat is sprayed to help the next few layers.

Then the coatings begin, We started off with 1 nice heavy coat, But i found it to be a bit light on the main brake light sections,

I was happy with how the bottom parts looked so we left them as is and applied another coat to the main sections./

It does look really dark in that pic, But that is mainly caused by using my Phone for pics.

The flash helps

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:11 pm 

Installed tail lights tonight, Man they look awesome, No pics atm :P

Tore apart my garage trying to find the rear window trim corners, Found them finally at the bottom of a random box of wires, (weird)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:03 pm 

:tu: :tu: love this car!!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:44 am 

any updates mate?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:10 am 

not atm :(

Luck of funding and motivation, Well ok, my 5 month old daughter takes my time and money atm. heh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:52 am 

Congratulations, cant blame you... always time for it later on in life :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:12 pm 

deffinitly, rego went on hold again for another 12 months, :)..

Man, i hate doing that. but oh well :) keeps it legit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:17 pm 

Righto - time to update this thread!

FYI - As I'm sorting out photos, I thought I may as well chuck some old photos up as well, just for history's sake. Then I'll get on to the main update.

11-Mar-12: Holset HX40 with Garrett T3/T4 housing removed.

17-Mar-12: Car pre- paint

Nick sorting out the garage

Nick sorting out the external fuel pump

13-Jul-13: Nick likes his sounds - 4x15" subs in his roof in infinite baffle configuration.. :o

As my garage started getting too full of stuff, I started storing stuff in Nick's garage haha

24-Jul-13: Nick bought a new crank pulley. A new trigger wheel was bought and modified to mount on to the new pulley. The power steering pump has been moved to align with the main belt to remove the need to have multiple belts.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:21 pm 

Recently Nick and I shifted around cars to get some work done. My car went to the panel beaters for the full body re-spray and we moved the Skyline to my garage as I have an isolated power supply for my welder.

2-Jun-2014
On the day we had planned to move the cars around, we got delayed, but we took the opportunity to roll the car out and took the time to give Nick's garage a good clean. To be honest, this was the first time I had actually seen the car outside of the garage in the light, and what a sight to see! Car still needs a buff, but paint work is lovely to look at. Nick also cut up a large workshop bench I gave him ages ago and put a decent top on his garage bench to work off (which is now full already haha).

8-Jun-2014
So we rolled out the beast to load on to the trailer. We moved Nick's car to my place first then my car to the panel beaters.
This car is long! Fits into my garage, but is a bit of a mission to walk around haha.

15-Jun-2014
Nick came around and he started removing the intake manifold, exhaust manifold and other bits to make some room to get some fabrication done.

Re-cap: Previously the T3 adapter had an extension welded on for the Tial 35mm wastegate. This was attached to the old dump pipe for the old Holset housing.

With Nick moving to the super HX40 with the Garrett T3T4 bored housing, the dump pipe was cut and I had previous tack welded in a 3" pipe to join up the new outlet flange with the old dump pipe. But as you all know, plans change especially as Nick now had a 50mm wastegate to use instead of the smaller 35mm.

The plan was to gut a 50mm hole with a bi-metal holesaw and weld on a new outlet to the new wastegate. Unfortunately, the holesaw couldn't cut through the metal of the T3 extension. Here are some photos of the attempts.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:27 pm 

29-Jun-2014
So after some weeks of working on my Celica ST185 RC and humming and haa-ing about how to get this hole cut, we both looked at other areas of the car to get sorted. Just some shots of the bay and car sitting in my garage doing nothing for a couple of weeks. I also got some photo examples of warning lights for Nick's gauge cluster which I will get to later.

18-Jul-2014
It's been bitterly cold recently, and not much work has happened. It's pretty low motivation to work in the garage that ranges between 6-11C. Anyway I went with the tried and true method of drilling a series of holes and cutting out the excess portion. Then cleaning up the hole to the right dimensions.

First remove the old wastegate flange and extension. Extension came off first.

Measuring the WG hole size, it was a pitiful 32.5mm internal diameter. This could be considered a lesson in that these cast units are not the largest in size, especially if advertised as 35 or 38mm.

Next step was to remove the casting for the flange. Using a cutting disc and grinding disc, I removed the main flange and then sliced the remaining casting so I could chisel/bend out the remaining bits.

19-Jul-2014
As Nick wants a 3" exhaust, I had to get under the car and measure if the exhaust would be able to fit between the subframe and body. Initially we had planned to run the exhaust under the subframe, but after measuring this again, I am confident that we can get the exhaust through this space with no issues.

Some inquiries have been made to get a 2nd hand 3" exhaust from the cat back, shipped from Australia to New Zealand, but the guy hasn't got back to me, and as I'm in the fabricating mood, I'm just going to fabricate what we need. For me, I tend to save time and effort by spending the money to get the parts needed. This isn't as easy for Nick, with his young family and all, and as I am not working, I can afford the time to spend fabricating stuff up. More mucking about, but it will be cheaper for Nick.

90mm space should give a decent amount of room for movement. We'll use brand new poly hangers to minimise sag of the exhaust. If we used the original hangers and bushes, then the exhaust will knock. May as well spend a little to minimise issues later.

19-Jul-2014
Hole traced out ready for drilling and cutting the holes out. Had a couple of false starts as my drill bits were dull, but after getting a sharp drill bit, the process was much quicker. Always pays to use cutting oil for these types of jobs.

20-Jul-2014
It took a while to slowly cut out the holes. I was at the drill press for a couple of days, positioning and holding the manifold in places while trying to secure it with G clamps. Quite a mission to secure the manifold due to the weight.

21-Jul-2014
I quickly turned my attention to the muffler. An extension was welded on previously for his original plans of a side exhaust. The welding wasn't even finished on it, so it was reasonably easy to clean up and remove the extension.

Here is the extension I had previously welded to the turbo outlet flange. Spot welds removed with a 1mm cutting disc.

Back to the WG flange. Using chisels and a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade, I managed to remove the centre section. Man that was a pain in the... had to make a wooden flange so the jigsaw wouldn't bounce around. Otherwise it was using a small round file to cut the the sections between the drill holes. Finally out though.

Then I did something rather silly. I started hand-filing the excess material out to make the WG hole round. 4 hours later, and this is where I ended up. From previous experience, air driven grinders and cutting tools use a lot of air and I only have a small compressor. I haven't invested much in air tools, due to the need to have a larger compressor, but after spending 4 hours hand-filing, the next day I went out and bought a die grinder and carbide bit. Having to wait for the compressor to recharge after 1 minute of use is time consuming, but nothing compared to wasting the time on hand-filing..

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:33 pm 

24-Jul-2014
So after I finished making the hole round, I turned my attention to the turbo and dump pipe. I dismantled the exhaust side of the turbo so I could work around the manifold and engine bay a little easier. Not the best shots of the turbo exhaust side, but it has been bored out to accommodate the larger Holset HX40 exhaust wheel.

Another thing of interest was the smaller outlet of the housing. Ideally we would have a 3" to 3" or 2.5" transition to a 3", but this will go from 2.5" to 3" without any transitions. If there is a need to change in the future we can do it, but for now, we'll just focus on getting the car up and running.

Mounting the manifold and exhaust housing on the car, it was time to measure the dimensions for the dump pipe. Green tape to protect the paint (a wider green roll was used, small roll just sitting around hanging off a filter haha). Plenty of room for the dump pipe!

26-Jul-2014

In preparation for the wastegate flanges to be welded, there was a bunch of brown gunk on the WG inlet flange. So I carefully scrapped off with a blade.

Back to the wastegate hole again *sigh. So the nominal outer diameter (OD) of the exhaust pipe we are using for the extension is 51mm. The hole I made for the wastegate hole is 51mm, ie a standard pipe fits nicely. Unfortunately, where the pipe is bent into curves, the OD is around 49.5mm. So much for mandral bends. To solve this, I'll have to tig both the inside and outside of the pipe to ensure it is strong and sealed properly.

As you can see from this example using the WG flange: 51mm pipe = good fitting

On the bend, there is a decent sized gap to fill :( 49.5mm OD on the bend = no good fitting. Looks like I'll have to tig the inside as well..

Test to see if I can get the torch in.

Time to weld! To be honest, I haven't picked up a tig torch in, maybe a year. I bought a MIG to tack weld stuff in place, but the gas inlet was a smaller sized barb in comparison to the regulator barb, so I had to go chasing a plastic hose reducer so get up and running. Got sick of mucking around with the MIG and setup for TIG. Lay down a couple of passes on some scrap then, cleaned everything up with some isopropyl alcohol and got to welding. Not too bad a job, especially since this is the first time I have welded stainless.

Tacks down, 2nd pass I think.

WG and dump pipe welded up. Dump pipe was a little haphazard due to dirtymetal ( i rough up with a angle grinder with paint removal disc first, wire brush down and then isopropyl. Obviously not enough..). WG turned out decent.

Tack welded the dump pipe onto the outlet flange. Will need to move the dump pipe towards the gearbox more as it is a bit close to the steering arm/mount.

Anyway, by this time, I was starting to run out of Argon, so I packed it in for the night.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:36 pm 

27-Jul-14
So I've spent nearly 4 hours getting all this info up, so no work on the car today. Some things Nick and I have discussed over the last month are:

Wiring:
- Potential for old wiring to be corroded or not usable. This was evident in the coil pack wiring where the copper had oxidised (apart from the hack job).
- Couple of options for wiring:
a) use current wiring and trace all connections/relays using manual and multimeter - takes a long time to figure out factory wiring (something that I have done on my car)
b) replace OEM wiring with hot rod wiring kit with relays and fusebox - saves time but costs money. Still need to trace various wiring but not to degree of tracing OEM

Wiring Solution: we went and got a hot rod wiring kit. Lower risk of corroded wires and shorter time to implement into the car.

Gauge Cluster (subset of main body wiring):
- Nick has aftermarket gauges. While the wiring to the cluster could be traced/determined, it provides no significant benefit, especially when other gauges for oil pressure, boost, water temperature, etc. will need to be installed.
- Remove old cluster and make a panel to mount new gauges to (I am currently doing the same job on my car).
- what to use for warning lights (hence the previous pictures)

Gauge Cluster Solution: watch this space ;)

Exhaust (from cat-back):
- wait for guy on e-bay to respond
- Buy some extra bends, 12mm rod for hangers, muffler and I fabricate what is required for a 3" exhaust

Exhaust solution: Purchase extra materials and build what we need. Can't be bothered chasing person for rear exhaust section. I needed to build to the rear section anyway, so I needed to purchase some materials anyway. May as well buy in bulk and just get the thing finished.

Everything else (and there is a bit..) - figure it out later. Concentrate on short term in getting the turbo and exhaust sorted. Then focus on the next lot of jobs on the list. Wiring will be one of the last major jobs on the car. Maybe seat mounts, but we'll see.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:55 am 

Im in love :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:37 am 

Ain't finished yet. You should come over and help then to progress faster :p

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:22 pm 

bumpy bump for the love of r30's!!! :tu:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:45 pm 

Good to see you're finally getting there nick, looking good :tu:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:55 am 

7-Aug-2014

So the dump pipe was hanging a bit low. Concern was if going over a speed bump, the dump pipe would get scrapped and eventually destroyed. I ended up taking 15mm out of the centre section and getting rid of my initial weld as it was ugly anyway.

Daylight pic of the dum pipe looking down. It is has clearance for the control arm mount and the engine block.

8-Aug-2014

Welded up the dump pipe to the turbo outlet flange. Outlet goes from 2.5" to 3" pipe. Not ideal as I'd prefer to taper to a 3" exhaust, but it should do the job with no major issues.

Welded the wastegate outlet onto the cast T3 adapter. The manifold was put on many strange angles to get in to do the welding.

9-Aug-2014

And test fitted up. Kind of lucky that the wastegate fits as I didn't actually tack up and it would have been an issue if I screwed up.

I had previously cut up an insert to fill the old wastegate hole out of 6mm mild steel and I welded it in.

Test fit with the wastegate in place. Good clearance from the block and the oil return port on the sump.

With the dump pipe sitting higher, there is more clearance for speed bumps. Fingers crossed, there is minimal scrapping. Hard to judget the height the car will sit at with the car on jack stands.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 9 of 10   [ 183 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next