#
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:56 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 9   [ 168 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: How my life found a '72 Nissan Skyline 2000GT HT
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:06 am 

Part 1: Learning…

Well I've decided to start my own story on buying my Hakosuka. I'll be honest I used to think I was the "go to" guy when it came to JDM goodness and all that was Skyline. I was hopelessly wrong, but it's okay I guess, we all start somewhere :oops:.

When I moved to Japan in '04, at the height of all that Fast and Furious jazz and Drifting was starting to not be underground anymore, all I wanted was a late '96-'98 R33 GT-R, I knew those specific models we're on the list at NHTSA and one of the few newer Skylines that could be legally imported into the U.S. at a FEDERAL level (See page 17: http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/elig100111.pdf);

And so my story actually stars with this car (early pics):

Late pics:

The cost to import and legalize an R33 far outweighed what I was willing to spend at the time, and my car was not a BNCR33 GT-R, she was only a '97 ECR33 GTS-T and was certainly not worth the money, the majority of the cost going towards making the car OBD II compliant, was a serious setback. I gave up on my dream of bringing one back legally, and went through a few cars until that fateful day I went to the '04 Fuji Speedaway, NISMO Festival…that day my life changed.

Last edited by 47hako on Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: How my life found a '72 Nissan Skyline 2000GT HT
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:21 am 

please continue

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:32 am 

den wha happen?

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:23 am 

Part 2: The NISMO Festival

Being new to Japan I was quick to find a friend in Paul. A fellow Skyline enthusiast, he was the proud owner of a '96 LeMans Edition BCNR33 GT-R. Beautiful car, special LeMans decals, special LeMans Blue paint and Gold BBS LM's were all standard to that model.

Anyway, I ran into him at the post office at Yokota AB, and he invited me to accompany a group trip to Fuji Speedway for the NISMO Festival. It is all and anything NISMO; from the accessories to their special edition cars, if you are a Nissan fan and are planning a trip to Japan I highly suggest you center a trip around it; you will not regret it.

I lost most of my pictures from that event, but I will never forget it. Until that day I thought the oldest Skyline was an R32! What a rookie! :oops: After drooling over 400R's, Z-Tune R34's, and a super rare 270R (S14 Silvia) I found myself drawn to an "older" car section. The first car I saw as I walked up was this:

I had no idea what I was looking at, but I was in love :shock:!!! The proportions were perfect, they way she sat there (before all this "Stance" stuff), how well she was appointed, and then he opened the hood. That 2 Litre DOHC, with the triple side draft 44 DCOE Weber carbs, and that beautiful custom hand made exhaust manifold, ugh!!! It was nirvana…I immediately wanted one. But how? I asked around and was told the price for one was more than a new R34 at the time!!! I was in awe and heartbroken at the same time... :?

(Note: The pics of this Hako are actually from '06 NISMO Festival, the second Hako I met in '05, you will see the first one I ever saw in the video, just as exceptional.)

Last edited by 47hako on Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:21 am, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:46 am 

cannot wait for part 3 :)

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:47 am 

Just to fill in the blanks:

Paul's BCNR33 LeMans GT-R:

A short video I made at the NISMO Festival, forward to 4:05 if you only want to see nostalgia (its a bit cheesy, it was only 2005, and no skills):

Stay tuned for Part 3: Research

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:39 am 

Locked in for pt.3! (hope it come before my lunch break is over :mrgreen: )

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:28 am 

Part 3: Research

Actually, we need to to a Part 2.5: Denial

So now I was hooked. Bringing back my R33 was too expensive, bringing back a KPGC10 was WAY too expensive. So, I gave up. I sold my R33 for a '96 Supra plus cash, and sold all my aftermarket parts. I wasn't happy, it was a non-turbo, automatic, 19" wheels and orange. YES, ORANGE! Toretto's Garage Orange!!! With a black hood! NOT a carbon fiber hood, a black painted hood! What was I thinking!!!???!!! :oops:

Before:

After (its the best I could do on a budget):

I was in denial, I thought this hopeless car would be a daily driver and I would get over it. I hated it, and so I bought a '94 Silvia Q's. Non-turbo, but with SR20 NA power, 5 speed, very clean, and black.

Before:

After:

If you notice I just keep carrying over those wheels I had on the R33..heh heh

One good thing came out of this. I realized that if I keep buying cars, fixing them up and then sell them on, I could make some money. A regular Wheeler Dealer…that was my way... that was my ticket to make enough money to get what I want…and take it back to the U.S.

Until next time…Part 3: Research

Last edited by 47hako on Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:10 pm 

Awesome story so far! Always trial and error to find what we really like it seems, good to see you shared the good and the bad haha. Supra was def better after you cleaned it up. :tu:

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:11 pm 

Good stuff man keep it up!

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:23 pm 

...this is a story worth the telling, btw :D

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:02 am 

Thanks btw for all your kind comments, I gotta take a break from studying so here we go…

Part 3: Research

Denial was what pushed me, but also the facts. I lived in Japan, it was a once in a lifetime opportunity, I had to have another Skyline. But I had to face facts I could not afford to bring one back…or could I? Yes, an R33, R34 and KPGC10 was too expensive and and R32 was really "legal" (Thanks MotoRex). But I had one thing on my side: TMO (Transportation Military Office, the U.S. military rules on shipping privately owned items. If the military moves you to a foreign country and you DO NOT have a car shipped or placed in storage; you are entitled to ship one vehicle back…as long as it meets certain requirements.

It must be on the NHTSA list I mentioned in Part 1, and must be shipped to an RI (Registered Importer) who will convert the vehicle to comply with U.S. safety standards.

UNLESS... it's more than 25 years old!!! :D AND..If its more than 21 years old it does not have to meet DOT Emission standards :shock: WOW!!! I found my way.

But would it be enough? Time to do the footwork. I picked up some issues of Old Timer, Lightning Vintage Auto, and Nostalgic Car magazines. From there I got addresses to FLEX Auto Review, Biko Works, Rubber Soul and S20. I went to their locations and asked around for actual prices, differences in modeIs and what you can get for your money…I could do this; not for a K"P"GC10, but at least a regular KGC10 GT-R "Clone". The price differences, as you know, are quite significant.

FLEX Auto:

For more FLEX Auto Review Pics: http://s114.photobucket.com/albums/n265/vegasmr2/FLEX%20Auto/

Rubber Soul:

My Silvia is in the corner...

I considered this one...

…I considered a 510 Coupe...

…and also a Laurel SGX...

...but I still wanted a "Hakosuka".

When I was first taught the "right" way to pronounce the word by Kawasaki-San, owner of Rubber Soul/Help, it just added to the mystic.

He said to me: "Hako means Boxu (Box) neh? Anda Suka is for "Su-kai-rine"
"You have to say it fast!" he said, "Nay, nay, nay, noto HAY-KO-SUE-KA; Ha-cos-kah!, fast neh?"

I was a little embarressed at first :oops: ,but he was adamant and very pleased when I finally said it right. I discovered the "u" is in the English spelling, but not really used in the pronunciation; it's there, but barely.

For more Rubber Soul pics:http://s114.photobucket.com/albums/n265/vegasmr2/Rubber%20Soul/

After considering what I could get for my money, and what "must haves" I wanted in my purchase; I sent my limit to $15,000US. That may sound inexpensive to some of you, but keep in mind the exchange rate was much much better then, anywhere from Y115-Y120 to $1; so for my $15K I had, Y1.8M.

Stay tuned for Part 4: Funding

Last edited by 47hako on Wed May 02, 2012 3:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:57 am 

dayum!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:14 am 
JNC Enthusiast

This is great, keep it coming :)

every time i see pictures of companies like Flex, who just have 25 of some of the most wanted datsuns lined up ready to sell, i cannot believe my eyes :)
If i ever see things like that for real i think i will never ever leave that place again :)

1970 C30 Laurel
1972 240Z
1973 610 Wagon
1977 260Z
1995 Micra
1999 200SX

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:09 am 

Part 4: Funding

Now the funding. I had sold the R33 and made a profit and sold all my accessories. I did the same with the Supra, and again with the Silvia. I bought a little Mitsubishi Chariot minivan as my daily and I also had my Honda CBR 900RR that I had brought back from the States that I could sell too, if I had to...

I bought other cars just to fix up/repair and resell, just to make a little more money.

I bought and sold a Toyota Corolla II Windy, a very basic little hatchback:

A Toyota Sprinter Marino, kind've an egg shaped Corolla with a 20 Valve 4AGE in it:

And of course the last daily, the Mitsubishi Chariot:

Unfortunately, I ended up having to sell my bike too :( . It really sucked. I've been through a lot on that bike. From Las Vegas, to California, and Japan she was the best. I rode her hardest all over Japan, but her time had come (plus it was killing my back anyway).

She was the last year of the 900 "Double R" and I had done her up in different color-ways: all Black, Black and Silver, an Erion Racing replica and lastly as a commemorative bike for Daijiro Kato:

Dajiro died at 2003 MotoGP Champioships :( . He was a rider that was destined to be one of the greats until his demise at Suzuka Speedway, the last year MotoGP used Suzuka.
RIP number 74…

Back to studying…up next… Part 5: The Find

Last edited by 47hako on Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:55 am 

Studying is overrated.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:09 am 

how long ago were these pictures of rubber soul and such taken?

the yen rate now is the FAIL.. :(

only in the high 70's.

so WEAK!

wish i had bought my hako at 120¥ to the dorrar

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:15 am 

Part 5: The Find

This part might be quite long, so I want to put out a disclosure. My story is the TRUTH. It is what I personally experienced; and I'm not trying to back up any rumors, so to speak. With that said, on with the story.

Driving around in Japan, is quite expensive. Gas is expensive, traffic eats up more of it (not to mention "spirited driving" :roll:), you pay for tolls everywhere you go, and parking is at a premium. Just driving into Tokyo from Yokota AB alone involved getting to the Chuo Expressway, Y600 for then Y700 for the Shuto Expressway, and then parking fees when you get there. Thats one way!!! :shock: So driving all around Japan to find my car was expensive in itself.

I started using CarSensor.net and Yahoo Auctions Japan to help with my search, but it still involved driving out to see the car. Just to get to Rubber Soul was about an hour and a half and almost the same for FLEX. At least S20 was local, just out the main gate, left on Route 16 and then right on Route 5; just on the right behind the Chysler/Jeep dealer. Yes, a Chrysler/Jeep dealer. S20 however never had any cars for sale. I never asked why but they worked on them and restored them. I still remember seeing a bare chassis HT coupe sitting on a jig without a hint of rust and a few cars hiding under covers in the back warehouse. For me they were more a source for advice and minor repairs.

Anyway, a car I found on CarSensor seemed hopeful. It was a '71 silver HT GT-R "look" in Ginza, but there were several others people to check out the car as well, and it wasn't quite polished enough. By this time, this was probably, oh I don't know, the 15th car I've seen in person. It was very difficult to find the car I wanted. I didn't think I was being too picky, but there was always something not right.

All I wanted was a rust free example with decent body and paint, at least an L28 swapped out, GT-R conversion on the rear completed, and A/C…A/C!!! What was I thinking, well I was going back to Las Vegas, so I made it a priority. Yeah I know, I know…what an idiot :td: It did however pay off in the end, sort of :roll: .

I found a car in the Gunma Prefecture, yes I know, home of the fabled Takumi and his Tofu delivery special Hachiroku. I can't make this stuff up guys. And it just so happens it was at a shop close Mt. Haruna, the real name of Mt Akina, you Initial D nerds (myself included :oops: ). Seems they purposely changed the name in the famous manga as to not draw attention to it. From what I understand its covered with speed bumps now. BTW, there really are a lot of grasslands out there.

This was going to be a long drive, about 2-3 hours plus, it was an area I'd never been to so I had my friend Chris go out there with me. I set up an appointment and we were off. After getting lost a few times and a few stops for coffee, snacks and gas, we found Garage Kutsumi. It looked like a small gated compound, with a home, several garage type buildings adjacent to it, an overhang with a few completed cars and in the middle of all the buildings; cars. So many I can't remember really, all in different levels of repair and all different types. Some are Bozozoku, vintage VIP, K-class, and nostalgic beauties. The whole lot of Kyusha cool. We rang the doorbell and out comes a very short, very old man to let us in. We tell him we are here to see the Hakosuka, he immediately takes us to the car.

This is the actual pic of the Yahoo Auctions ad:

We approach the first garage that holds what we were waiting for, an Almond White, 1972 Skyline GT, with most of the aesthetic GT-R upgrades completed. The paint is clean and fresh, the interior needs help, and the wheels are different from the ad, staggered Longchamp XR4’s.

We also discover in the same garage a red 4dr Hakosuka with a race track ready 3L engine complete with Weber carbs, a mint old school VIP Nissan Cedric sitting on some chrome 5 star Cragers, 2 or 3 pimped out Bozo bikes and several trophies against the wall. We are then asked to enter a small office, filled with old school racing posters, magazines, collectables and parts.

The older man offers us some tea and asks us to wait. What was about to happen was, well… what happened.

Now I had heard of the rumors. The rumors that certain people in Japan do not like the idea of the precious Hakosuka leaving the their country. I never believed them. Why would I, the Japanese are extremely polite from my encounters.

The old man receives a phone call and hurries Chris and I to step outside and wait. The old man runs around to an electronic gate in the back and bows steeply as it opens. A black fleet of vehicles enters quickly and stops abruptly in front of the building in a large cloud of dust. :shock:. The first car is a complete VIP treatment Y50 Cima; 4 guys step out and one runs to the second vehicle to open the rear door; a black Cadillac Escalade EXT, sitting on extremely large machine finish, chrome lipped wheels. Three people total exit this car. The third car is a black Y33 Nissan Cedric, also VIP Style to the nine’s, and four more guys step out. Twelve guys total if you include the old man, and 2 "Gaijin" asking about an old Skyline.

We are now "accompanied" by what can only be what I would assume them to be. The man that opened the door tells me that he will translate whatever “the boss” needs to ask me. I look this guy up and down. “The boss” is very tall and has a square jaw. He has the largest most perfect pompadour I’ve ever seen, oversize gold-rimmed Ray-Ban Aviators and dangling a menthol cigarette from the edge of his mouth. He’s wearing a dark brown-orange leather jacket with a high collar and a silk leopard print shirt with collar over it that’s even higher. He’s also wearing alligator skin pants with a long silver chain dangling from the back pocket and brown and white ostridge skin Air Force One’s. The rest of his “crew” has equally outrageous hairstyles and all are similarly dressed but not as loud. “He” looks at me up and down, and while looking up at the sky he tells the translator to ask me a question. The translator asks: “Why do you want to buy this car?” Simultaneously “the Boss” snorts, looks over his glasses and says “Hmm?”. I simply, but cautiously answer “Hakosuka, ichiban; neh?” and put my thumb up :lol:. (“The Hakosuka is Number 1, isn’t it?”). He replies “Soda…” followed by a long pause. Chris and I are looking at each other shrugging our shoulders :| and the long pause ends with “the boss” conferring with his “crew”. He then asks a few more “why” based questions.

After what seemed like eternity, the 3 black cars leave with a trail of dust behind them. "The boss" leaves one man behind with the old man to for a “test ride” in the Hako, and to strike a deal with me on the price. He explained to me that the A/C did not work and that if I wanted the Watanabes that were in the picture that it would be no problem. He took me to another smaller garage with an S30 hiding in it and showed me the Wat's stacked up in the corner to show they were in good nick. We came to a decision on the price and the deal was made. :tu: Needless to say, a day I will never forget.

For more pics of what I saw at Garage Kutsumi click here: http://s114.photobucket.com/albums/n265/vegasmr2/Garage%20Kutsumi/

Until next time...Part 6: Delivery

Last edited by 47hako on Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:35 am 

wookieballa wrote:
how long ago were these pictures of rubber soul and such taken?

the yen rate now is the FAIL.. :(

only in the high 70's.

so WEAK!

wish i had bought my hako at 120¥ to the dorrar

It was quite a while ago, 2005-2006, I left in Sep 2007. They are no longer in that building. I was very disappointed. I went back to Japan for a visit in 2008 and the building in that picture now houses lumber :cry: .

But they are definitely still around: http://www.rubber-soul.net/

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:15 am 

Part 6: Delivery

So today is the day!!! I return a few days later to Garage Kutsumi, cash in hand with Paul (R33 LM GT-R guy from Part 1). He had to come see the Skyline and this place for himself.

The car is sitting outside on the wheels I wanted (the ad pictured gold Watanabe RS wheels) and the car is washed and fueled. I do a once over of the car and take a few pics before we start:

Exterior shots:

As you can see she is missing a few bits on the exterior, but the important parts are done, new paint, new rubber around the front and back windshields, GT-R wing, front lip, grill, and the all important conversion for the rear fenders. There's even some matching front fender flares! :tu: If you look closely she still has all the original blue GT badges.

The interior however is another story... :|

Interior shots:

Lots of bad wiring:

A/C that doesn't work…

Gaping hole where there should be a factory radio…another thing I didn't know at the time :oops:

At least all the gauges were clear, legible, and functioning...

As you can see my center console was garbage, ouch! I did not know how expensive they were at the time, note the blue 2000GT emblem:

On the plus side none of the seats were separating or torn, the dash top was a brand new factory replacement, the headliner was still taught with no sagging, the door cards aside from some missing chrome were all in good nick, and all the lights, gauges and switches worked (aside from that 80's Kenwood deck).

Oh and a beautiful rust free trunk!

I meet with a completely different person than the last time I was there and we go over and the paperwork. Paperwork in Japan for just about anything requires a lot of stamps and seals. I’m presented with a bill of sale, a receipt, some other documents, and the registration sticker that is supposed to placed on the window at the Land Transportation Office(?). He hands me the keys, we take a few pictures and I’m off. :D

On our way home, I could not figure out how to turn on the damn headlights. I feared the worst, an electrical bug, I just left the shop and it was getting dark. I knew the brake lights, signals, reverse, and parking lights were all good. Even the Hi-beams, I just couldn't get the lows on. So I just pulled back on the high beam lever almost all the way home.

What a major super rookie mistake :oops: The lights on the car are like any other normal Japanese car: twist the stalk :idea:. Wow, I felt super dumb when I figured that out a couple of days later. I really thought all the lights were supposed to come on with that oddball light switch on the dash. :D

Stay tuned until next time…I don't even know what Part 7 will be about…Repair, replace and modify…the fun stuff!!!

Last edited by 47hako on Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 9   [ 168 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next