#
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:59 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Video: Autocrossing my stock '73 Datsun 510
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:53 pm 

I'm a daily reader on this blog and forum but a very infrequent poster. I've only developed my interest in JNC over the past few years so I'm soaking it all in like a sponge. I bought my dime almost 1.5 years ago from the original owner. It had been in storage for many years and needed some love. I have enjoyed working on this car because it is refreshingly simple (aside from rebuilding the Hitachi carburetor!)

My reward was autocrossing it recently. This will not be a regular thing so I made sure to get some video. I'm a racer first, and car show guy last, but this car deserves to be preserved instead of transformed into a race car (which is what happens to most of my cars). Enjoy the video! Links are below.

HD Videos
Driver and Over Hood View
Over Hood View
Looking Backwards at Driver

The main reason I bought this car is because I wanted to have the same excitement that Datsun 510 owners experienced 40 years ago. I'm 33 years old and live in the midwest, so I never even remember seeing these cars on the road. I admit that I now understand what all the fuss was about 40 years ago and why the car remains popular today.

I'm sure my Sumitomo tires aren't great by today's standards but they are worlds better than the original equipment. Regardless the car handles very neutral with minimal body roll. I'm curious how the dynamics would have changed with the original equipment tires. On the street the brakes fail to impress, but when I pushed it on the course I was surprised that I could indeed lock the brakes and the brakes generally felt better when worked harder. Overall it was a fun experience and for a moment I imagined the fun I would have with an L20 under the hood... but no, this car is special they way it is and I'll keep it that way.

Datsun Details
1973 CDM (Canadian) Datsun 510
American Racing Libres
Sumitomo Summer Tires
Mulholland Drive Suspension
L16 with SSS Engine Kit
BRE Style Air Dam

Post subject: Re: Video: Autocrossing my stock '73 Datsun 510
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:13 pm 

Nice ride...
Keep having fun with it... They're made to be driven....
Was the suspension already done when you got it?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:55 am 

Awesome vids! Datsun owners that really drive their cars always get a big thumbs up from me.

Although I do hope you autocross it more frequently than planned, I don't think few recreational laps a month will do any harm to the car unless you're severely concerned about cone marks on the paint and whatnot.

JamesE wrote:
On the street the brakes fail to impress, but when I pushed it on the course I was surprised that I could indeed lock the brakes and the brakes generally felt better when worked harder.

I couldn't agree more on this, people laugh when I tell them I'm still on stock pads/rotors and drum setup in the rear, but not so funny when I'm beating out half dozen M3's. I did find I have to bleed them maybe every few months to keep the crisp feel to them, but for the curve weight of these cars I think they're more than sufficient on an autox course. Road courses... probably not.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:17 pm 

showa wrote:
Was the suspension already done when you got it?

Yes the original owner installed the Mulholland Drive suspension. Anyone have any details on this kit? I suspect it is lowering springs only.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:27 pm 

Kennymonster wrote:
Awesome vids! Datsun owners that really drive their cars always get a big thumbs up from me.

Although I do hope you autocross it more frequently than planned, I don't think few recreational laps a month will do any harm to the car unless you're severely concerned about cone marks on the paint and whatnot.

Thanks! I'm not afraid to autocross it, but autocrossing wasn't the purpose of use when I bought it. I have access to other machines that are more exciting to race. My Datsun is just a fun driver that I enjoy working on and learning about. Autocrossing it was just another fun part of the ownership experience so far. My next project is a photoshoot.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:14 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Awesome vids. I'm in hopes to someday take my 510 to a track. Not even to compete but simply for the thrill. More vids.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:22 am 

Drive510 wrote:
Awesome vids. I'm in hopes to someday take my 510 to a track. Not even to compete but simply for the thrill. More vids.

Let's get on that rebuild then so I can drag you out to Qualcomm!!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]