#
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:31 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Does this count as nostalgic? 1989 Nissan Micra
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:51 pm 

I just bought this 1989 Nissan Micra. It isn't pretty but is a 5spd should be much more fun to drive than the nasty automatic Corolla I couldn't bear to drive. These were sold in Canada but not the US and are getting a bit rare here. The Canadian ones were a bit unique having the sealed beam headlights and offered only the 1.2L engine with either a 5spd manual or automatic.

It was pulled behind a RV in a previous life so the hood is missing a lot of paint.

Not sure what my eventual plans are for it but short term I'm going use it as my winter beater. The tires are shot on it and are only 12" in size. Came with three good 12" tires but I have no idea where I'd find a fourth. The spare is less tall. So bought some 13" Honda Civic rims with winters tires.

This thing is light and has the the thinnest sheet metal I've ever seen. Wikipedia says 1,490 lb.

as bought

1.2L and 56hp! Engine is a tiny, all aluminum four cylinder with a carb on it. Rather similar in size to the Suzuki Swift engine.

The dirty interior. I haven't got a chance to clean it yet but it is high on the priority list. Believe it or not those seats covers were thrown in for free :)

Strictly a four seater with only four seat belts. Quite narrow so probably no room for a fifth. I can lean over an unlock the passenger door with our leaning. No carpets here - just rubber mat interior. Happily I found about $2.12 in the car so I've reduced my purchase price by over one percent!

with the "big" Civic rims. Now just to sort that wonky bumper ...

Post subject: Re: Does this count as nostalgic? 1989 Nissan Micra
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:20 pm 
Administrator

the k10 came out in '82 so yeah

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:51 am 

Couple of folk round here seem to rate them....

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15539

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:03 pm 

That is awesome - thanks for the link. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:24 pm 

A couple bonus photos. I love this car! Lots of fun to drive. Rather like a 2/3 scale VW Golf. I had to put the stupid 12" wheels back on.

I was able to straighten the front bumper a bit. I used the sophisticated method of attaching the tow hook on the one side to chain and then to a suitable cemented in steel pole. Then just reverse back and forth a few times. With some minor whiplash it is less lopsided.

The previous owner nicknamed it "The Dragon" after this and another decal (spells out Dragon on the rear window). A rather grand name for an unassuming little car. It is a brand of snowboard/ski goggles. Interesting that a brand goggles can inspire such loyalty as you'd use their logo to decorate your car with.

On another note this car is great fun to drive. Very toss-able and work the engine without really brake any traffic laws. I would like to add a tach though. Might wire an old Lada Niva one I have. The wife doesn't like it as it does look quite shabby. Hopefully I can make it look a little less rough over the next few months.

Sorry for the lousy photo but the sun was shining harshly. My Micra next to a 1960 Cadillac. The Micra is actually a little taller but much shorter.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:07 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Does this count as nostalgic? :td:

What kind of cars does JNC cover?
There are only 2 criteria. The cars have to be Japanese and 25 years or older. However, we welcome enthusiasts of cars of any age to the JNC Forum.

Why 25 years?
Rules vary from state to state but most will give a car 25 years or older historic status, allowing them reduced registration costs and certain exemptions from inspection. In addition, most companies specializing in insuring collector cars also cite 25 years as the cutoff age.

However, we welcome enthusiasts of cars of any age to the JNC Forum. :tu:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:55 pm 

hey you need to find an engine from a nissan superturbo and drop it in that thing.
12 inch tires should be easy to find my 1000 has a set of brand new ones and all the chevy sprints had them. what type of corrolla did u have?

69 datsun 1000 deluxe. 73 to 78 Mazda b1800
65 datsun 1600 roadster. 94 nissan pathfinder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:44 pm 

I had this '87 Corolla sedan briefly - didn't really like it.

I like the current Micra but I suspect a SuperTurbo engine would be more than I want to spend on it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:07 pm 

That look like it could of been from three hills had one just like it sitting at my neighbors house.
Ya It would be hand putting any money into a micra
Be like my first car 88 Chevy sprint I pimped that thing up. Not even a turbo or manual.

69 datsun 1000 deluxe. 73 to 78 Mazda b1800
65 datsun 1600 roadster. 94 nissan pathfinder

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]