#
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:51 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Trilogy completed - 1st 1200, 2nd 510 SSS and now 240z
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:41 am 

Hi friends!

Yesterday I’ve completed my Datsun collection…for now!
My trilogy…the 1200, SSS and now the 240Z!
I bought a 240Z…eheheh!
It’s a 1971 car, and it has 96.000 km’s, and it has a curious story.
The car was bought in 1971 by a soccer player, Fernando Gomes from FC Porto, a 1st league player. He is much known, he had won 2 times the golden boot here in Portugal!
He bought the car and then after a superficial crash near the stadium on the middle 80’s the car went into a repair on a Nissan dealer. After a year the car was trade for another Nissan. The principal mechanic bought the car and made a mechanic repair, only the usual components.
His son was 16 by the time and offered it.
In his garage, together they dismantle the car and a restoration was made! The car was all restored with the exception on the interiors that were amazing in that time!
When he made 18, takes the license and after a few months the car was ready to go back the road again!
He kept it in garage for over 15 years, and every week the car was putting to work.
He made almost 30.000 km’s with the car, and the sell happened because he didn’t use it!
Then I talked to a friend, because I already know that a 240z was for selling, he entered in contact with the seller. On the 1st October I went to see the car and got astonished. On the 3rd October I close the deal and yesterday I got him in my garage!
One curious fact, the car was grey, and when Fernando Gomes bought the car he changed the cars colors to blue, because the FC Porto colors were blue and white…eheheh!
About the journey, magnificent, I made 350 km’s with average speed of 110 km’s/H. Consume rounded 10 l/100, I think the normal.
Now I will make him a big cleaning, and proceed to the reparation of some parts, such as clutch, all oils and several water tubes.
Hope you like the story and like the car…I will only change the back of the car painted in black and the wheel to the dark grey.
Then road again…
Here are the photos…
Me trying the car on the 1st October, before the buy…
The interior…
1st stop way home.
2nd stop…
Home…
Me and My father…he drove it, and take a ride with my mum…I loved the sensation! It was funny and even sensational to me.
After the tryp…resting…
I hope you liked it!
Regards
Mário

Last edited by datsunbat on Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Trilogy completed - 1st 1200, 2nd 510 SSS and now 240z
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:18 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

That's a great story. The car looks like it is actually in very good quality condition. The engine looks a little dirty but I think a good steam clean would make it shine. Congratulations on obtaining such a beautiful car. :tu: :D

I may have missed your previous posts but could you post some pictures of your SSS and 1200. I would love to see them both. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:44 am 

Hi!

Thanks!

This 240z was my dream car...and this appear on the 1st October...with some friends I went into a little search 2 years ago, I knew about the car, but the owner said he didn't mean to sell it...until now! eheheh!Lucky I guess!

About my other datsun's...here are some photos!

Kind regards
Mário

Datsun 1200

And the 1600 SSS

Hope you liked it!!!

Kind regards
Mário

Last edited by datsunbat on Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:41 am 

Great find! You may not know this, but if those wheels are authentic magnesium alloys, they'll fetch anywhere from $5000 to $7,000 in Japan, perhaps even more depending on condition. The special lug nuts are worth some coin as well if they are present.

Even if they are aluminum replicas, they are worth a pretty penny.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:08 am 

Congrats on the Z!! Let us know if those rims are magnesium originals. Would be a pretty cool extra present with your purchase.

Did you use the SSS for your wedding?? :tu: :tu: :tu: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:17 pm 

Hi friends!

Thank you all for the comments!

About the rims, yes, they are magnesium made, even the bolts! :lol:

There is an explanation for that.
In Portugal only 191 240z's were sold between 1970 and 1973, and every had those rims, it was an extra that nissan/datsun dealer asked Japan specially to Portugal. You can see that in competition cars here!
These rims are for competiton only, except the portuguese market. I've searched a lot and everyone refer it as I'm telling you.

They are common here, but there were some 240z owners all over the time that changed it, I think now they are very displeased. A friend of mine found 5 rims like mines in a junkyard...and payd something like 200 euros, about 170 dollars...lucky I guess!

In my car they will be painted like the original, grafite colour.

There are some more extras, like the 5th gear. The US 240 has only 4.
And there are more details, like the turning light, in Portugal only on the side front, other markets, front and back.

On the 510 SSS, it lead my sister for her the wedding, and made another marriage from a friend... in mine was a b110 from a friend...my b110 was ready by the time, was in the paintjob.

here is a photo...

Kind regards
Mário

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:09 am 

datsunbat wrote:
In Portugal only 191 240z's were sold between 1970 and 1973, and every had those rims, it was an extra that nissan/datsun dealer asked Japan specially to Portugal. You can see that in competition cars here!
These rims are for competiton only, except the portuguese market. I've searched a lot and everyone refer it as I'm telling you.

Mário,

The "competition" cars would have used the wider ( 7j x 14" ) Kobe Seiko-made 'Rally' mag ( exclusive to the Nissan works rally team ) which had a slightly different spoke design and structure. Your wheels - like all the 'Entreposto' HLS30s - are the same casting design as the Kobe Seiko-made 40300-E4200 magnesium wheel fitted as standard equipment to the PS30 Nissan Fairlady Z432 models in Japan. However, the version fitted to the majority of the 'Entreposto' HLS30s are reputed to be an aluminium version rather than the Elektron magnesium material of the original 432 wheels and the works Rally mags.....

This is a complicated and very tricky subject. One of the ways to differentiate between the aluminium versions and the true magnesium versions is that the magnesium versions had a flat pad cast into the wheel on which casting dates were stamped by Kobe Seiko. Effectively, the wheels were 'lifed' - like a Formula 1 racing part or an aerospace part - and you were supposed to stop using them after the 'safe working life' was over. The aluminium versions on the other hand were not 'lifed' like the magnesium versions, and did not have the flat pad or the date stampings. If your wheels do not have the flat pad and the stampings then there's a good chance that they are in fact cast from aluminium alloy rather than Elektron magnesium.

There's a very rare version of the Kobe Seiko 432 wheel that was used by Nissan's works rally team, and it had no provision for a centre cap / emblem ( unlike the 432 wheels and the 'Entreposto' wheels ). These were made from Elektron magnesium, and they were hand date-stamped on the reverse only. A further complication!

One of the other differences is with wheel nut types. Parallel shank 'Sleeve' nuts and normal tapered-seat nuts were used depending on the wheel.

The 'Entreposto' HLS30s are - in my opinion - one of the nicest-specced LHD versions of the 'Datsun 240Z' model. The close ratio O/D five speed and 3.9 diff ratio is well suited to the car, the springing / damping rates are more 'sporty' than those of the north American market ( with a matching rear anti roll bar ), and so is the faster steering rack ratio. The factory front and rear spoilers were effective and stylish for the time, and the whole package was nicely balanced. Only thing I don't like is the front side light / turn signal arrangement ( same as all mainstream European models, unfortunately ) which is a bit of a compromise looks-wise.

Congratulations. Nice car!

Cheers,
Alan T.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:25 pm 

Definitely a nice package - 2.4l, with close ratio 5 speed and stiffer suspension. I know now which country I'll be visiting on my next trip to Europe! Unfortunate that less than 200 exist with that combination.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:58 am 

Hi friends!

Thanks for the comments!

HS30-H: Thanks for all the information! On the last weekend I've been through a large cleaning on the car, and I looked the rims, thay have some reference on it, but I can't indentify it because the paint is over the letters and numbers. Next time I'll take pictures. I've to change tires and by that time I'll look in the interior, because in the exterior some numbers are there!
Is like you said, the aluminium is better because we can use them, instead the magnesium wich is a component associated and combined with time that pasts over and could brake.

The entreposto cars were like you said, very good balanced, and mine had some things that I'll change, but for the original, because my car is a 71, and the interior parts are from 72, like the center console, all caps, and on the exterior, the turning lights supposed to be on under the grill...and in my research, all this changes were made when it crashed a long time ago. But I want it completely original...even the belts...

We'll be in touch...you know a lot about 240z...Thank you!

xs10shl: Thank you! You can come to Portugal...nice country and lots of Datsun...next year I'm organizing the 1st Datsun encounter, and it will happen on the 2nd and 3rd June...see if you can come!

Last weekend I drove the car for 200 km's, the car is very good...junt needs a little tuning on the carbs, the average fule consuption was like 15 l/100 and the speed was 110, 120 km's/h...I don't know if it's normal, but the car is runing very well.
I love the gearbox and the steering, very precise...
right now I'm acquiring some parts to put in the car, just the original ones...

Kind Regards
Mário

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]