#
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:11 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: made a critical error..
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:18 am 

so when i was working on cleaning up some wiring i unhooked the voltage regulator.. i forgot to hook it up as it got dark quicker that i expected, and the mosquitos were swarming..so i closed the hood and ran for cover. later i had to run to the gas station for some reason or another, and i noticed my radio was not staying on. i pulled over and looked at the wiring to see if the harness had come loose, but it was ok. i drove home and parked it. the next day i went out and the car was dead. opened the bonnet to look it over and first thing i saw was that damned VR still unhooked :(
plugged it in, jumped it off, shut it down and it was dead again. i jumped it off again and let it idle for about 15 minutes, and it seemed to be ok, so i turned it off and restarted again a few hours later just to check it. it was fine.

went out today to drive it to the store and it was dead again :( WTF??

so do you guys think its due to the VR being left offline for that drive the other night?
what should i be looking at replacing?
im assuming the alternator is dead now, so i was going to go out and look at the local bone yard to see if i can find one from an RB25, but I'm not sure if it will be safe to install that. Alternators here in japan are offing EXPENSIVE.. like in the $400 range for a stock replacement, BUT i SHOULD be able to score an RB alternator from the junker for about $40, so it would be a great buy if it will work.

i can't foresee the VR being busted because it wasn't even hooked up, BUT i am going to try to copy the one that Kev installed when his Alt went out just cause I'm sure mines 39 years old... might as well replace it.

what are your thoughts?
any recommendations? i don't think i can have it tested here, i could in the US.. it takes like 5 minutes and can be rebuilt for damn near nothing, i sure would like to have that service here..

any ideas, or success stories are really going to be helpful.
i did look at hybrids, and their alternator upgrade is awesome, BUT its expensive I'm trying to get this back online on a budget.

Post subject: Re: made a critical error..
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:42 am 

have you had your battery tested?
try to get your battery charged at a service shop or buy a new one.
you can not recharge your battery by just driving your car for 15 minutes. it would take a whole day of non stop driving to do that... :lol: it needs to get recharged with a charger. not the alternator.

once you get your battery, hook everything up and turn on your car. if it turns on then great. but your not done, get a voltage meter and check to see if the battery is being charged. if it stays steady at your factory setting, then your good. if it starts to drop then your alternator is not charging, if its going up, then your regulator is over charging, which is dangerous.

hope this helps.

model car blogspot
http://zenkitrdcoupe.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:17 pm 

i will have to look around and see if anyone can do that here. its an optima redtop. i did have some issues with the car not holding a charge when i first bought it, but that was when i was only starting the car once a month or so, it wasn't driven for 9 years LOL

Thanks for the ideas. i will explore these.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:58 pm 

oooh, well i think you should buy a new battery. i believe optimas are a bit on the picky sid of being recharged as if i recall, dry cell batteries shouldnt be charged... should look into that as well.

if the car does sit for long periods of time, the battery does die down. especially when still connected. it slowly drains the battery. dry cell batteries can last a few long periods, but do break down eventually.

glad to help out with ideas.

model car blogspot
http://zenkitrdcoupe.blogspot.com/

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]