#
It is currently Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:16 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: C210 Skyline Japan Value (Stateside)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:14 am 

Hello, fellow JNCers. Sorry to those of you who clicked this for pictures or a build thread! I am actually just posting here for opinions on what one should expect to pay for a C210 Skyline Japan, especially an L6 coupe with round headlights. I try to keep tabs on the approximate running value of various car models (it's actually a part of my job!), but I have had a very difficult time finding a consistent dollar value for this particular model.

My original assumption was that it would be one of, if not the, most affordable generations of Skyline; it seems to be the "forgotten" generation, sandwiched between the earlier Hakos/Kenmeris and the later DR30s/R31s. I know at least one has been imported into the States, but the asking price for it was well over what I was expecting ($25k). Goo-Net shows around $15k as being the low end, but Australian 240ks of this generation seem to be worth considerably less. Basically, what little I can find seems to be all over the map.

Considering the fact that I have seen decent 30s/31s going for the low-to-mid $10k range, I would expect to be able to pick one of these up for around $10k, but that seems low when I actually start poking around. Does anyone have any illuminating experience with this particular model?

Post subject: Re: C210 Skyline Japan Value (Stateside)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:39 pm 

Got any easier questions ?

This is the old "How long is a piece of string ?" situation. Japans haven't really made it outside Japan yet. There was a 2 door for sale with an L28 and Longchamps here (in the UK) for £ 16,5000 a while back. So I guess that's what they are worth here if that's what it sold for.

There's a few Hako's here now and some of them have been offered for sale at various times but I'm not aware of any having actually re-sold here after import. Most owners, I'm sure, paid considerably less than the 3 to 5 million Yen prices seen on many Japanese sites.

JDM Legends seem to have set the price for many Japanese cars in your part of the world, whether those are actually the best prices you can get one for is open to debate. There also seems to be a (misguided) expectation that most Japanese cars are full of holes and filler and as a buyer you just have to suck it up.

I'm sure most of that is of no help to you really ! Bottom line is decide how much you want to pay and how much you want one and work backwards from there. Make some connections in Japan, try and find some of the lesser known dealers and see what they have. Each aspect of getting a car to your door is available separately, you don't have to go to a one-stop, all-in service.

Good Luck !

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:42 pm 

Don't you know, it depends on whose "string" you are asking about :lol:

But no, that is a very useful answer; thanks! I am curious as to whether the particular example you mentioned in the UK sold at that price or not...that certainly seems well over what I would expect to find one for. I would have thought that you could find a lower-end Hako for that sort of coin, but now I'm now thinking that the figures in my head may be some years out of date.

Does anyone know of the popularity of this model within Japan? I know that they have historically been pretty popular with the boso crowd, but does it have the same "status" that other Skyline models have? I had been led to believe that their lack of a GTR badge (or other performance goodies) and "polarizing" styling sort of made them outcasts, but prices hardly seem reflective of that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:32 pm 

Value in a particular place is a weird thing to look at for a car that doesn't often sell in that place. There isn't a large enough sample to truly put a value range on a certain condition car in relation to the country it's sold in.

Why not just look at what they're being sold for in Japan and add the costs to import?

What is it exactly that you're trying to determine?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:10 am 

"Rots of Ruck" to put in in the vernacular! Best bet Stateside is to go to http://www.nadaguides.com/classic-cars/ and enter the make/model/year and hope that there is something pertaining to the vehicle that you want info on. These values are Low Retail, Average Retail, and High Retail and are what dealers use to cheat you out of trade in values and then resell them. These values are based on running vehicles, not hanger Queens so are very condition dependent to the extent that an above average car would command more. Good Luck!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:32 pm 

its worth whatever someone will pay haha. if it was 15k in japan, factor in shipping costs and whatever markup you would deem reasonable.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:08 pm 

Id have to agree that you really need to consider the 'source' countries going price and go from there. Japan is your best bet!!

They are becoming very scarce in Aus now and prices are rising fast as C110's are dissappearing extremely quickly! And we never had the C10 sold here domestically so everyone wants C110, but are being priced out.

So the fallback is the C210

1975 HGC110 Datsun 240K Skyline Sedan (Yonmeri) Cruiser

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]