#
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:45 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 4   [ 67 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: Forgotten Dreams-- 1964 Datsun 1500 Fairlady Project
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:46 pm 

Put a Lid on it-- or Making a Custom Valve Cover

Things are getting very close to being completed so the SR20DE can start for the first time in the chassis. All things considered, this project has been pretty straightforward, but we have run into a few packaging issues that we would not normally see on most SR swaps. The 1500 Fairlady's master cylinder is located in a different position than the later 1600 and 2000 Roadsters, and that posed a bit of a problem on this project.

Since we are using the S13 SR20DE engine, it uses a oil catch can as part of the PCV system that mounts off the side of the cylinder head. Later SR20DE engines did not have this catch can as the valve cover was redesigned for a more efficient system which eliminated the problematic catch can. You can see what it looks like in this image:

There were a couple ways to solve the catch can issue-- one was to build a new catch can, and then plumb it with various hoses, etc. which would really not agree with the clean and simple style that our cars usually have. The second alternative was to build a "hybrid" valve cover which uses a S13 SR20DE valve cover front section blended with a S14 SR20DET rear section. While this would be a lot of work, it would clean things up considerably-- so how do we build one of these? Yesterday I went up to visit my partner in crime, Eric Straw so I could help him on a 510 project, and this is what we came up with...

Start with a S13 valve cover (this particular one is a DET version, but it does not matter):

The S14 valve cover got a major redesign-- if you look at the front you can see the hump for the VTC, and the back half of the valve cover his humped as the old catch can is now embedded in the valve cover instead of a separate catch can:

So, what we have to do is cut the front half off of both valve covers and mesh them together to fit the S13 SR20DE head. After a careful inspection, it was noted that both valve covers have the same casting marks in the portion where we needed to cut, and it was then just a matter of making our marks and cutting to suit.

Painters tape was laid out to make sure a straight line was set:

Eric has a sweet variable speed bandsaw with a big table which make cutting the valve cover square easy!

After the front half of the valve cover was cut off, it was sanded smooth:

The S14 valve cover was missing the casting mark on side, so a square was used to make sure that the line was laid out correctly:

More painters tape:

And off to the band saw again:

After a careful sanding and aligning on a spare S13 SR20DE cylinder head, the valve cover was tacked with the TIG in several locations to keep it from moving before the final welds inside and out:

And then the grinding and sanding begins! After about an hour and a half, the valve cover was ready to send out to the painter:

Kudos to Eric again for his outstanding work on this project--

Michael

1970 Datsun Bluebird SSS Coupe
1966 Datsun 1600 Roadster
1964 Datsun 1500 Roadster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:10 pm 

Now that is some fine work sir

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:02 pm 

Weekend update-- The Old Girl Lives!

We had a very productive weekend in the shop-- I had a few small details to wrap up before the engine could start for the first time. First off was the stainless exhaust system-- while I had a down pipe built, the rest of it needed to be completed. I tackled that job first, building the exhaust from the rear of the catalytic converter and via a small flex pipe and then thru the X-frame, adding a small stainless muffler in the legs of the X-- normally we would put it behind the X, but the recessed floor for the 3rd seat was in the way-- for now, I have a straight pipe back to the axle, but I will build the hump over the axle and the rear muffler soon-- but that was not going to stop me from starting the engine.

Since this engine has been sitting in my shop for over 10 years, I decided to use our pre-lube system on it to make sure that it was a well lubed engine before firing it off-- this is essentially a modified oil filter that uses an inline pump (run off a drill) to manually force oil thru the system. A few minutes later, we had oil squirting out of the cam lube rails, and it was time to fire it off-- and it cranked up and fired like it was last run yesterday-- no noises, no drama, just another happy SR20DE!

In the next few weeks, I will get the new valve cover installed (we still have the old one on for now), install an overflow bottle, and finish the exhaust, but at least that part of the conversion will be sorted.

New Shoes for an Old Girl

I think that most of us would agree that 1500 Fairlady's look great with white wall tires-- and we really wanted to preserve that look with this build-- but we also wanted to use our fantastic Big Brake Kit-- and this posed a problem-- how would we get that great white-wall look, the big brakes, and still fit it all under the unflared 1500 fenders? We love a challenge, and that is exactly what we got!

Making it Stop

Stock 1500 Fairlady Roadsters have 13" wheels, and four-wheel drum brakes-- not something that would play well with our updated engine package. I put on one of our Big Brake Kits (http://spriso.com/content/products/brake-conversion-parts/) using the 26mm non-turbo brake calipers as we knew that we would need to cheat the wheels inboard as much as possible:

The stock 1600 roadster rear axle will be used with the stock drum brakes and they will be more than adequate for this car's needs.

Wheel Games

Now that we had the brakes, I needed to find a positive offset, 15" wheel that would clear them. I wanted a steel wheel as I knew that we would be running hubcaps at some point, and after a lot of measuring-- found that the 15" Nissan Altima wheels would do the trick-- they still would require a small spacer, to clear the caliper, but we could get them to fit under the stock 1500 sheet metal-- that problem was solved.

The rear wheels were another matter.

Putting a positive offset wheel on a rear of a roadster does not work at all, they are far too inboard to work properly-- but we knew that we could easily modify the Altima wheel to suit our purposes...

The wheels were chocked up in a lathe and the welds were carefully turned off, then it was a matter of getting the two halves separated. I took the wheels over to fellow SR20 roadster nut Dave Jolliff's shop and this is what we came up with--

First, heat up the wheel evenly (to expand the rim):

Then we needed to press the center out of the rim evenly so not to distort the wheel rim, or the center-- a junk 12" Honda Civic wheel was the exact size we needed!

Then it was off to Dave's awesome hydraulic press:

A few minutes later, the center and the rim were separated:

The wheel rim was cleaned up, and the center was re-pressed back into place, making a perfect zero offset wheel:

Spin the rim and adjust the center to make sure that it is true, and then tack into place:

A test fit showed that the wheel fit perfectly:

Tires

Finding white wall tires for this project was not easy-- we wanted something with the correct overall diameter, but since we were going +2" on wheel diameter, that meant that we would need a low profile, white wall tire, and something narrow enough to fit under the stock fenders.

Thankfully, there are a few 185/55/15 white wall tires on the market with the correct overall diameter, but with a bit of a modern twist that we like:

And a quick test fit before sending the wheels out for sandblasting and painting (please excuse the mess!):

For now the wheels will be painted silver until we can get the 1500 looking hubcaps built, but I am excited about the look and the progress!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:08 pm 

This is my dream car. All the beautiful aspects of the early 3 seater models with the upgraded power and stopping capability of a modern car. It looks like you're doing a really great job with it. Look forward to seeing it at Solvang someday!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:29 pm 

spriso wrote:
Finding white wall tires for this project was not easy-- we wanted something with the correct overall diameter, but since we were going +2" on wheel diameter, that meant that we would need a low profile, white wall tire, and something narrow enough to fit under the stock fenders.

Thankfully, there are a few 185/55/15 white wall tires on the market with the correct overall diameter

Care to share who offers these? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:04 pm 

If you chromed the Altima wheels and put baby moons on the center they would look like the 13 inch 1500 roadster wheels. In fact this was the system that the 1930s Cord 710's used and that's what the 13 inch 1500 roadster and RL411 wheel covers look like.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:25 pm 

John, the tires come from Coker Tire. Here is a direct link: http://www.cokertire.com/american-classic-1-6-inch-whitewall-185-55r15.html

Mike-- yes, we considered chroming the centers of the wheels as they have a 1500-ish look to them, but I like the idea of a +2 look for the wheels... we will see how it looks with the hubcaps when we make them.

Michael

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 4   [ 67 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4