#
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:57 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 28 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: TransAmBandit's 1988 Maxima SE
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:04 pm 

So ever since I was a kid I was always fascinated by the 85-88 Nissan Maxima. So much, that at age 6 back in 1995 I used to draw this car ever chance I got in school. The teacher was convinced that my dad worked for Nissan. That was not the case. He had owned a gray 88 GXE at the time. Idk, I guess my love for boxy 80's cars started young. So 16 years later, I finally purchased the rectangle on wheel's Ive drawn oh so many times as a youth.

Found the car sitting in Queens in a yard for a few months. Knocked on the door twice, no answer. My best friend's brother calls me a few weeks later asking me if I was still interested. He had went and knocked on the door for me, and got an answer. The guy wanted $450 for the car, said it needed an alternator.

My buddy and I go look at the car two days later. For whatever reason, all of the fuses under the dash were missing. I think the guy had removed them all because of him being cheap. Anyways, we put in 3 fuses to just get the car running. Started right up, ran great.

Last saturday, I went over and bought the car, snuck it home without my dad seeing me unload it. Of course, I knew when he left the house he'd figure out it's mine. I got yelled at for 15 minutes yesterday about it. Since I have 3 other cars. A 84 Supra, a 87 Supra Turbo, And a 87 Turbo 4Runner I need to finish.

You know what, It was totally worth being yelled at. I finally had my first favorite car of my life, 16 years later.

She's a 88 with only 96k miles on her. One spot of rust, and just needs to be buffed and touched up in some spots. So far, I added all of the fuses back today and started the car checking everything. The Alternator is charging fine to me. A/C blows ice cold. The only thing wrong so far, is the power steering is out.

Anyway, here are the photos.

Loading up with my towbar.
First wash

- 1985 Toyota Celica GTS Convertible

Post subject: Re: TransAmBandit's 1988 Maxima SE
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:29 am 

Can't say I've ever seen one before

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:34 am 
Mild Cam

I can see why you'd be so enamored with this. I can't put my finger on it, but something about the styling of that car is very intriguing. I'll keep an eye out for a Kaminari kit. :wink:

1984 Porsche 911
1988 Mazda RX7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:51 pm 

Same, I really cant explain to people why I have always lusted after these things. And thank you! lol I didnt think anyone would remember my post about the quest to MD to strip the Limo. Haha 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:57 pm 

TransAmBandit wrote:
Same, I really cant explain to people why I have always lusted after these things.

I say don't. When they ask why, you say I wanted it. If they ask for more, they don't get it and likely won't ever.

In my family we've had every exotic under the sun, a host of super luxury vehicles and some incredibly cool american classics. Yet it's still odd to everyone but my father why I like classic Japanese cars. He gets it, kind of, not with the cars but the lust. He has a fully restored early 80's grand wagoneer with 20k miles on it.... He get's the love for vehicles you wanted/liked back in the day.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:18 pm 

god this car reminds me of my neck of the woods in the early nineties.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:15 pm 

Kouper wrote:
TransAmBandit wrote:
Same, I really cant explain to people why I have always lusted after these things.

I say don't. When they ask why, you say I wanted it. If they ask for more, they don't get it and likely won't ever.

In my family we've had every exotic under the sun, a host of super luxury vehicles and some incredibly cool american classics. Yet it's still odd to everyone but my father why I like classic Japanese cars. He gets it, kind of, not with the cars but the lust. He has a fully restored early 80's grand wagoneer with 20k miles on it.... He get's the love for vehicles you wanted/liked back in the day.

Thats one thing I do say. I tell people who ask why I buy the cars I buy, why I love them so much. Ive always liked them as a kid, and I have the chance since I am older to buy them. My dad probably well never understand why I like cars from the past. I try to explain, its the kind of character you get with them. Unlike newer cars that all have the same giant friggen rubber dashboards. My dad used to own these cars in the past when they were somewhat newer and he liked them then. I guess I am also trying to hold onto the nostalgia. I used to see a lot of these cars roaming the streets of NYC as a kid when they were only a few years old.

terolla wrote:
god this car reminds me of my neck of the woods in the early nineties.

Would it be Queens NY by chance? I think I met you before at the Forest park Headlight Theory Meet. You had the Cressida on Kosei's right? I was the long hair dude hanging with Chino with his Cressida.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:13 am 

nah actually im referring to washington heights, dominicans back in the days used to love these cars. we havent met yet, thats my boy justin your talking about, but im also a ny rollaz member. im actually trying to pick up a supra like yours. and speaking about supras, the dominicans used to love those too. dying to see your supra in person.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:16 am 

i had one of these 87 floater though, i liked it up untill one morning i started it up and it decided to eat its own bottom end.
before i bought it the only thing the PO ever did was change the oil semi regularly so it wasnt well taken care of before that and my babying i thing just delayed the inevitable.

was close to 200k mii put about 70k mi on it and a pair of rebulit heads

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:23 am 

TransAmBandit wrote:
Same, I really cant explain to people why I have always lusted after these things. And thank you! lol I didnt think anyone would remember my post about the quest to MD to strip the Limo. Haha 8)

I grabbed the steering wheel and hub adapter from that limo when I saw it. IDK if I've mentioned it anywhere here but of the few Maximas of that vintage I've seen in JYs here 2 of them had the aero kit. Seeing as I now know that somebody is looking for one I'll keep an eye out. I love boxy cars.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:54 am 
Mild Cam

Interesting that the aero kit sounds somewhat common. I wonder if it was a popular dealer option back in the day? Or did everyone with a Maxima order out of the same catalog? :lol:

The more I read about the these the more I like them...VG30? Nice. Digital dash? Yes please. An optional suspension that uses sonar to check road conditions and adjust the shocks? WHAT!?

Screw new cars, the Japanese had already given us everything we needed by 1988.

1984 Porsche 911
1988 Mazda RX7

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:36 am 
Mild Cam

I saw one of these on my way to work today! :mrgreen: Two-tone brown & tan with a luggage rack. In nice shape, too. I wanted to snap a pic but the light turned green. I also saw two minty MA70s but that's another story...

1984 Porsche 911
1988 Mazda RX7

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:48 am 

terolla wrote:
nah actually im referring to washington heights, dominicans back in the days used to love these cars. we havent met yet, thats my boy justin your talking about, but im also a ny rollaz member. im actually trying to pick up a supra like yours. and speaking about supras, the dominicans used to love those too. dying to see your supra in person.

Ah sorry about that mix up. I figured Queens cause all the Guyanese like myself love these things. Haha I'll keep an eye out for a MKII for you. I try to keep tabs on all of the ones I find in NYC.

djlotus wrote:
TransAmBandit wrote:

I grabbed the steering wheel and hub adapter from that limo when I saw it. IDK if I've mentioned it anywhere here but of the few Maximas of that vintage I've seen in JYs here 2 of them had the aero kit. Seeing as I now know that somebody is looking for one I'll keep an eye out. I love boxy cars.

Thank you man! Please keep me posted, I have no problem driving down to grab the kit. I actually got linked to a 85 Maxima on the Baltimore craigslist, that had the front bumper from that Limo. lol

Camshaft wrote:
Interesting that the aero kit sounds somewhat common. I wonder if it was a popular dealer option back in the day? Or did everyone with a Maxima order out of the same catalog? :lol:

The more I read about the these the more I like them...VG30? Nice. Digital dash? Yes please. An optional suspension that uses sonar to check road conditions and adjust the shocks? WHAT!?

Screw new cars, the Japanese had already given us everything we needed by 1988.

The Aero kit was very popular. I think Kaminari and Erebuni had kits for them. I know of two cars that still have the Kits on them in NYC. Tried buying both cars, no response. lol I wish my car has the digital dash, but I do have the Sonar suspension. But all the struts are blown, and all the replacements are to convert it over to regular struts. I have a set of coilovers from a S13 so I'll see how hard it is to get them to work.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:34 pm 

man i loves this maximas. i had a 85 and i loved it. my mom had given it to me since she had gotten a new car with a messed up face and a hit in the rear corner and a dieing trans.. but didnt care repaired the outside the best i could and on the budget i had. after that i got to focusing on the engine and trans.. well to keep it simple swaped out trans adjusted here and thier and a few mods and the car would turn on on the turn of the key and pure, and when it came out to power the lil guy had it. it would chirp the tiers on the moment u smashed the peddel .. man i loved that car talking lady and all .. if u want mor info on the car and moding check out maxima.org ..

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:58 am 

Not that you need another car, but check it, http://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/2422751199.html

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:31 pm 

^ I looked at that link a few nights ago, and then I had a dream that I bought it. Weird, since I usually dont dream about cars. :lol:

Heres an update. I brought the car around yesterday to my backyard so I was able to finally vacuum and clean the interior. I also mocked up my S13 coilovers. Looks like they will work in the front. The rear, I'll have to figure something else out.

Straightened out the lip with some zipties.

I wish the paint was better, I'll try to revive it with a nice buffing.
Feeling like a kid all over again.
Then I tried converting it over to a Cressida.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:28 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Isn't that blasphemy? Oh wait, Supras make everything gansta!!!! Nice work!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:47 am 
Mild Cam

OkieRA29 wrote:
Isn't that blasphemy?

I was dangerously close to putting Supra wheels on my MGB a few years back...at least the Maxima is Japanese! :lol:

1984 Porsche 911
1988 Mazda RX7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:20 am 

The hub on the Maxima is too large for the Supra wheels to fit over. I was bummed about that. I was gonna put my spare supra wheels on to be an ass. Haha :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:23 pm 
Mild Cam

Interior cleaned up nice, dude. Buff it out, paint the top edge of the bumper cover flat black to hide the chipped paint, and enjoy it until you find your Kaminari kit and paint the sucker. :tu:

1984 Porsche 911
1988 Mazda RX7

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 28 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next