#
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:17 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: 1979 210 Engine ideas...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:52 am 

So, I bought a 1979 Datsun 210 for $700.

Knew it needed a few things. Carb needed rebuild and needed a new distributor, rear tires, not a big deal. Was planning on taking a long trip, so I got a tune up and the mechanic was having issues keeping the car running. So he replaced the carb after several one thing after another was going wrong with the car after the rebuild. During all this, he replaced all my tubes and hoses.

I guess he didn't do a good job replacing everything, which I found out AFTER my car was sitting on the side of the highway, smoke coming from the hood. Turns out my water hose was new but not tight, so I leaked water and at some point ran dry and cracked my motor.

So, now I need to replace what I'm guessing is the whole engine? What should I replace it with, as I'm having a really hard time finding another original engine for this car? Any suggestions on the most affordable way to do this?

I'm thinking, in the end, I don't want to invest more than $5000 in completing this car. I should have taken the $2500 some guy offered me at a stoplight just two days before my trip, when the car was still running! Not true. If I wanted to sell it, I would have. I want this car.

By djangohellboy at 2011-04-06

Last edited by Django on Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Also...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:00 am 

I'm not a mechanic. I have someone who will work with me on the car, but I need to find the parts first.

Love this car. I don't want to sell it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:53 am 

Are you sure the engine is bad? Head cracked? Maybe just the head gasket blew? If so you could replace it, it is much easier on this car than a modern one.
If your motor is bad, you need another A-series motor. You have either a A14 or A15 now. You should be able to find one with some hard searching.
Or of course you could do an engine swap, but that is custom work and will cost more. There are tons of options if you want to go that route since it will be a custom job. KA24DE from a 240sx is a good motor, and should fit ok. Or go big and do a turbo SR20det/Ca18det. Possible a VG30 V6 from and 80's 300zx. All these motors are fuel injected and it will be fast with any of these options. You will need to be sure your brakes/suspention are up to the task.
Weird thing-i have a 77 B210, and a cat named Django! Fan of the movie? or guitar player? I like both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:40 pm 

how about a running a14 long block for 75$ before shipping? in the next week or so im pulling one out of my b210, because im moving up to an a15. the motor has 100k, i did a compression test on it last week and all cylinders were in the 120 range, it does needs need a new oil pan gasket, and im probably going to use the head thats on it but ill give you the head off the a15.

Post subject: Django
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:13 pm 

I got the name Django from the movie. I'm kind of a nomad, and was looking for a cool nickname. Django fit the best!

As for the engine. I'm not sure entirely, I'm just going by what he mechanic said. He said the motor was cracked. He was hoping the it was the heads, but he said the motor. So I'm assuming he means the whole engine. Not being mechanically inclined, I'm guessing he's saying I have to replace the whole engine. Also, English is not his first language, so there's a little bit of a barrier.

I could buy the head off of you if that will work. This whole breakdown alone cost me a lot of money in towing just to get it to Houston, so if I don't have to buy a whole engine and replace it, I'd be happy. It's been really difficult even tracking one of these engines down. I found one guy, but he's in Oregon and I'm sure shipping is gonna cost me an arm and a leg. It might be better to rent a car or something and go get it and drive it down to TX, if that's even possible.

I'm back in California now, but I want to go get my car and fix it.

This is really frustrating, cause I'm forced to go off of what this mechanic is saying, and being out of town is really throwing things off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:22 pm 

If you have any way to get it from Houston to the Dallas area, I'd be glad to help if I can. We have heaps of A-series parts, so...

As for engine choices, in your current situation, you can only do an A14 or A15. From the sound of it, this needs to be a simple job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:14 pm 

i would get a second or third opinion before doing anything drastic, an A series motor is really hard to ruin. its vastly more likely the head is warped or cracked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:17 pm 

A L series engine would be pretty sweet. Maybe a l24e with a nice header and triple sidedraft weber carbs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:45 am 

liquid51 wrote:
A L series engine would be pretty sweet. Maybe a l24e with a nice header and triple sidedraft weber carbs.

Well, the engine bay is about a foot too short for that... :P

Post subject: 210 engine
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:53 pm 

I have a couple of A15 engines, one runs for sure, don't know about the other. but I'm in Oklahoma City, so shipping is a problem. If you can get the car to houston....

85 Celica GT - Driver
86 Cressida wagon - Driver

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]