#
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:56 pm


Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]
Author Message
 Post subject: Nissan 810 Fuel pump attachment,What is it ??
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:05 pm 

Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:41 pm
Posts: 6
Location: MA
Hello: Can any one help me identify

What is attached to the fuel pump outlet of Beck Arnley 152-0765, Nissan# 17010 fuel pump used in 1980 -'84 Nissan 810, Maxima ????

Is it a Check Valve ??or Pressure Regulator?? or damper??

Seems same pump, without this attachment, is used in early 280Z with D-jet.

I'm trying to find an alternative fuel pump for my D-jet Mercedes.

The FI fuel Pumps used by early Datsun/Nissan has similar construction, and specs as OEM Bosch Mercedes fuel pumps.
OEM Nissan fuel pump were made by JECS, Japan...I think under Bosch.

Please see this attachment to the 1980 810 at Nissan Parts Zone

nissanpartszone.... Search on PN 011-W3015, or 011-W3016. The search should take you to the diagram

I can't post links because it is my first post.


Appreciate your help.

Regards,


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nissan 810 Fuel pump attachment,What is it ??
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:26 pm 
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:57 pm
Posts: 8526
Location: Arlington, TX, USA
scia63 wrote:
Hello: Can any one help me identify

What is attached to the fuel pump outlet of Beck Arnley 152-0765, Nissan# 17010 fuel pump used in 1980 -'84 Nissan 810, Maxima ????

Is it a Check Valve ??or Pressure Regulator?? or damper??


Pulse damper. :tu:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nissan 810 Fuel pump attachment,What is it ??
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:46 pm 

Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:41 pm
Posts: 6
Location: MA
datsunfreak wrote:
scia63 wrote:
Hello: Can any one help me identify

What is attached to the fuel pump outlet of Beck Arnley 152-0765, Nissan# 17010 fuel pump used in 1980 -'84 Nissan 810, Maxima ????

Is it a Check Valve ??or Pressure Regulator?? or damper??


Pulse damper. :tu:


Thanks datsunfreak....you I think made my day!
Others have told me it is a check Valve.

In addition to the fuel pulse damper, Do you know if this fuel pump has an internal Check valve to keep the FI lines pressurized ???

Greatly appreciate your help


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nissan 810 Fuel pump attachment,What is it ??
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:57 pm 
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:57 pm
Posts: 8526
Location: Arlington, TX, USA
scia63 wrote:
In addition to the fuel pulse damper, Do you know if this fuel pump has an internal Check valve to keep the FI lines pressurized ???


To the best of my knowledge, no. Doesn't sound terribly necessary either.

I wouldn't want them constantly pressurized when the car is off. :wink:

The pump itself and the fuel pressure regulator (on the end of the fuel rail) keeps it pressurized while it's running. :tu:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:13 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:49 pm
Posts: 70
Location: Huntsville, AL
I think it’s a check valve. On the below Maxima fiche diagram of the fuel pump item 22675 is the damper and it attaches to the fuel pump with a short piece of hose. Nissan used a check valve on all the 280ZX’s and earlier 810’s, so I would expect the Maxima’s (or the 910’s) to continue with this function.

You want to maintain pressure in the fuel rail even if the engine is off to prevent vapor lock (fuel boiling) due to heat soak. Pressurized liquids require much higher temperatures to vaporize. Yet another reason why FI is better than carbs.

The Maxima check valve is different in appearance than the earlier check valves. Perhaps a re-design as the earlier valves were not that reliable.

Image

_________________
Steve Golik
1970 240Z
1974 260Z
1979 810 Hardtop


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:59 pm 

Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:41 pm
Posts: 6
Location: MA
[quote="zcarnut"]I think it’s a check valve.

Steve, Yes you have the correct pump diagram, Thanks

When I apply a vacuum to the thingy it holds the vacuum. A check valve would not hold a vacuum in the direction of flow.

If it is a check valve then you would expect the flow from inlet, through the pump and out the outlet would go unhindered. You would not be able to maintain a vacuum if the inlet was open.

But the thing holds a vacuum.

So, I'm still not sure WTF it really is, but I'm inclined to think it is a fuel pulse damper like datsunfreak said in the previous posting.

But how can I be 100% sure. I've search the internet hard and I have not yet seen an example or know for sure.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:42 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:08 pm
Posts: 277
Location: Los Angeles, CA
its a damper i have the same thing in my 810 .. i have removed the damper befor from the car to see how it would flow and its all pulsy with out the damper.. even so no need to crack your brain over it it can also be a damper / check valve .. but if your pump goes out dont wory and just get a universel external pump and hook up the damper if you wish its all good eathier way..

also my 77 810 always has some presser in the lines when the car is off.. (ive had fule spray in my face/eyes .. lol )


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:03 am 

Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:41 pm
Posts: 6
Location: MA
arsonist63086 wrote:
its a damper i have the same thing in my 810 .. i have removed the damper befor from the car to see how it would flow and its all pulsy with out the damper.. even so no need to crack your brain over it it can also be a damper / check valve .. but if your pump goes out dont wory and just get a universel external pump and hook up the damper if you wish its all good eathier way..

also my 77 810 always has some presser in the lines when the car is off.. (ive had fule spray in my face/eyes .. lol )


Hey Fabian, Went to your 810 site......NICE!

Hey do all the members of this form live in CA ??

Thanks for the info.
What do you mean when you say "it was pulsy without the damper". How could you tell?? Can you describe what pulsation you observed. Was it Bad ??
According to the fuel pump diagram above the 810 also has a fuel damper: PN 22675,attached to the fuel line. This fuel damper, I would think would absorb most if not all the fuel pump pulsation.

Hey Fabian, Except for the games you and me have the same interest, cars, food, and women....what else is there.

My car has an inline fuel pressure reg. and a fuel damper, so, I thinking that I do not need the Pulse Damper attached to the fuel pump.

The Fuel pump is going into "maybe" a "72 FI Mercedes. It has all the specs I need: pressure and flow, but the Pulse Damper and its operation is what I need to understand. Once I got some good understanding of the PD then I will decide if it is worth keeping or removing it from the fuel pump before installation.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:59 am 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:49 pm
Posts: 70
Location: Huntsville, AL
It’s a damper and a check valve. Since the Maxima has another damper downstream it has two dampers in series.

Here’s a pic from the 1983 Maxima FSM:


Image

_________________
Steve Golik
1970 240Z
1974 260Z
1979 810 Hardtop


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:20 pm 

Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:41 pm
Posts: 6
Location: MA
[quote="zcarnut"]It’s a damper and a check valve. Since the Maxima has another damper downstream it has two dampers in series.

Here’s a pic from the 1983 Maxima FSM:


Steve: Can you give me the source of your picture ??

Isn't great when small things really make you happy!

Thank you very much! Your's is the info. I have been unable to find and been waiting for. Much appreciated !

It seems to me that the design of this fuel pump with the pulsation damper/check vale in one is an upgrade to my original OEM Bosch fuel pump I'm trying to replace. The OEM pump only has a straight check valve, the same as on the early FI 280Zs.

The upgrade :The PD for smooth consistent fuel pressure without pulsation and check valve to keep the lines pressurized.

Sooo, it seems also to me, being of better design, the fuel pump should be installed as is: with the PD/check valve in place.

So what's your opinion ?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:27 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:08 pm
Posts: 277
Location: Los Angeles, CA
scia63 wrote:

Hey Fabian, Went to your 810 site......NICE!

Hey do all the members of this form live in CA ??

Thanks for the info.
What do you mean when you say "it was pulsy without the damper". How could you tell?? Can you describe what pulsation you observed. Was it Bad ??
According to the fuel pump diagram above the 810 also has a fuel damper: PN 22675,attached to the fuel line. This fuel damper, I would think would absorb most if not all the fuel pump pulsation.

Hey Fabian, Except for the games you and me have the same interest, cars, food, and women....what else is there.

My car has an inline fuel pressure reg. and a fuel damper, so, I thinking that I do not need the Pulse Damper attached to the fuel pump.

The Fuel pump is going into "maybe" a "72 FI Mercedes. It has all the specs I need: pressure and flow, but the Pulse Damper and its operation is what I need to understand. Once I got some good understanding of the PD then I will decide if it is worth keeping or removing it from the fuel pump before installation.


thank for your comment on my car .... as to the pulsing its not bad i noticed it but thats cuz im picky but you still get a flow of fule non the less the damper is mostly to keep air bubbles from the line and also since the datsuns electrical aint the best it can be voltage to the pump may very fron 12 -14 volts so the pump will speed up at 14 v and slow at 12 so the damper just gets rid of that pulse ... but the pump should sute your needs with no proplem just keep the damper its always good to have a damper... the diacram of the pump zcarnut posted should answer your question better ( on older dadsun pumps the damper aint hooked up to the pumps housing derectly but external with a hose )


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:13 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:49 pm
Posts: 70
Location: Huntsville, AL
scia63 wrote:
Steve: Can you give me the source of your picture ??


I’m not sure exactly what you mean by “source”, but I just scanned the figure from a page in the FI section of a 1983 Maxima factory service manual that I own. If you want the exact page number, I guess I could find that.

Quote:
It seems to me that the design of this fuel pump with the pulsation damper/check vale in one is an upgrade to my original OEM Bosch fuel pump I'm trying to replace. The OEM pump only has a straight check valve, the same as on the early FI 280Zs.

The upgrade: The PD for smooth consistent fuel pressure without pulsation and check valve to keep the lines pressurized.

Sooo, it seems also to me, being of better design, the fuel pump should be installed as is: with the PD/check valve in place.

So what's your opinion ?


Yes, I would agree with your conclusion: use the Maxima pump “as is” in your Mercedes.

BTW, according to all the Bosch literature I have read, the damper smoothes out the fuel pump pulsations which can cause the fuel pressure to fluctuate which can upset the operation of the fuel pressure regulator.

Another feature of the damper is that it reduces the audible noise of the fuel pump. I have repaired several vehicles by replacing the damper after the owners complained about a noisy pump, even after the pump had been changed.

_________________
Steve Golik
1970 240Z
1974 260Z
1979 810 Hardtop


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:48 pm 

Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:41 pm
Posts: 6
Location: MA
Thank you :

Steve, Fabian, and John....Brilliant !


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:36 pm 
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:57 pm
Posts: 8526
Location: Arlington, TX, USA
zcarnut wrote:
Yes, I would agree with your conclusion: use the Maxima pump “as is” in your Mercedes.


Same here. :tu:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
610nm Style by Daniel St. Jules of Gamexe.net