#
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:04 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 26 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: My 1960 prince skyline
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:02 am 

I recently just acquired a us model 1960 prince skyline. It is in pretty good shape and will try to see if I can get it running soon. I guess that it was running two years ago. It came with a bunch of extra parts. I have tried to research it but there is very little knowledge on 1st gen skylines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:03 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:11 pm 

YUS! An ALSIE-1

You freakin' legend! Dead keen to see more pictures of it. It looks in awesome shape, certainly better than my S21 (last of the 1st Gen.)

Man, so jealous!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:46 pm 

Wow just wow, that is all kinds of awesome. I was half expecting to see some old pics of a random Skyline, but congrats this is 10x more cooler. Good luck with her hope to see more pics also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:05 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Congrats! Whats the story behind her?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:25 pm 
Mild Cam

US Spec?! We want more details! She's beautiful!

1984 Porsche 911
1988 Mazda RX7

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:27 pm 

I really just kinda found it. The guy I bought it from said that his dad used to drive it around town. He traded some stuff for it. The original owner story was that he got it shipped over from Japan. I dont know if I buy that story but it is possible I guess. They did make them there. It was also full of spare parts. These parts are multiple colors of paint which makes me believe he had found at least two others cars in his journey. It has old national parks brochures in the glove box. Hey Kyteler I have been looking at your sight alot lately. Do you know anything about that pink car? you also have alot of info about this car? I have a scan of a usa test drive from the 1960's I found. I am just looking for all the information I can find.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:16 pm 

I've never come across any information at all that claims they were made in the US. Happy to be proven wrong though. The only US information I've found is that one snippet which shows the 600 fresh of the boat from Japan, in San Francisco.

All I know about the pink car is what's on my site, I've not heard any more on it specifically and indeed yours is the only other ALSIE in the US that I'm aware of, at all and as you may have seen I have already thrown an entry up about it ;) It made my morning seeing a survivor.

Definitely keen to see more of the information you have with it and have collected and I'm happy to share whatever I can with you, that you may need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:05 pm 

A real find! Congratulations on your new purchase. That is a rare car indeed - I don't think I've seen a LHD Prince before.

Please share more pictures and knowledge as you come across it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:29 pm 

Just a random bit of useless info. The ALSIE and ALSIE-L (which is what this one is) are 20mm shorter than the domestic variants.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:49 pm 

Mate, that is awesome (I have a GT-B). Your only downside will be parts, although fingers crossed you have everything you need (or close to it) in the bunch of goodies you got with it.

Nice work..... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:33 pm 

hey kyteler check out this website

http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.c ... read=42327

Somebody posted this roadtest on a different forum. Some good information about the US skyline. They talk about importing different versions (wagon?) if they were successful but that did not happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:11 am 

kyteler wrote:
Just a random bit of useless info. The ALSIE and ALSIE-L (which is what this one is) are 20mm shorter than the domestic variants.

I know that they had a normal version and a deluxe version with a bigger engine, mine is the normal version. Are there any other differences between the ALSIE and the ALSIE-L?

Thanks Clint

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:34 am 

Far out, I even commented on that post on RR back in '08 and I don't recall it at all. The joys of motorcycle accidents, I guess. :lol:

The Deluxe & Standard versions of the LSI are different to the Export version. As far as I'm aware, the deluxe didn't necessarily mean the larger engine, they were optioned with either.

The only differences that I am aware of between the ALSI-E and ALSI-E (L) is that the L stands fro L.H.D (Left hand Drive). In fact it references in my 1962 Prince Manual that "Left hand drive model is mentioned in this manual but it can be easily referred for right hand drive model." Which translates to them being the same but for the location of the steering wheel and associated shifts of equipment.

IIRC the easiest way to spot an LSI-E is the side trim is much larger with a downwards point on the lower section as can be clearly seen on your car. The domestic Deluxe version has a slimmer arrow shaped trim section and the Standard (if memory serves) has a chrome strip.

I believe all that information is in the Parts Manual I have which is inside my S21D-4 where it is being stored so I don't have easy access to it at the moment.

I've deduced or rather guessed from the documentation I have viewed in person, that the A in ALSI is for the GA-30 and GA-4 and the BLSI is for the GB-40 and GB-4 powered versions. The A being 1500cc the B being 1900cc.

This does conflict with some information though, so despite making sense there may have been instances (particularly the Export market) where there's an exception to that rule. I believe the pink one is still stamped ALSI on the data tag and yet is a 1900. Somewhat contradictory but the fact it makes sense for the rest of the documentation and then further instances of the Prince and Nissan model designation system makes me wonder.

The article is somewhat strange (although understandably high in praise) I'd be interested to see why they think the 1500 was called the 1700. perhaps a typo here and there in their documentation given, it would certainly not be the first time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:52 am 

Kyteler is correct about the ALSIE and ALSIEL, in the the second L refers to left hand drive.

According the parts manual, the ALSIE(L)-1 (single headlight model) the GA30 1500cc was standard with the GB30 1900cc being optional.

The ALSIE(L)-2 models (the first one with twin headlights) had the GA4 1500cc as standard, which I assume is an updated GA30, with the GB30 optional.

The BLSI-3 series only came with a GB4 1900cc (which was an upgraded GB30 engine)

The S21-4 series only came with the G2 1900cc (whcih according to the manual has nearly all the same part numbers as the GB4 so was maybe just a designation change. The 1500cc was now called G1)

Seems all the Skyway station wagons had the same standard and optional engines as the Skyline sedans did.

The equivalent year/model Gloria which had the same body as the Skyline, but with more upmarket interior, was only available with the appropriately designated 1900cc engine of the time. The Gloria model code was BLSIP- with the appropriate Skyline number, eg BLSIP-1 (equiv externally to ALSI-1 Skyline), BLSIP-2 (ALSI-2 Skyline), BLSIP-3 (BLSI-3 Skyline). A new shape Gloria called the S4 series, was released in September 1962 while the Skyline continued with the same body but with a front facelift and had the S21-4 series model code designation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:20 am 

That is a sweet looking car. Nice to see one here in the US.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:39 am 

Only around 300 or so of those were sent stateside right? I thought they would have all been gone by now, that's a heck of a find..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:06 pm 

They say that 600 were imported. I wonder how many actually sold and how many still exist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:22 am 
JNC Enthusiast

I really can't believe what I'm seeing. A Prince 1st gen Skyline in Montana of all places. This is awesome!!! I certainly hope you bring it back to life. That snow is hard on my eyes though. I have family in Great Falls, so I know winters are brutal. Take a loan if you can to complete the project. You're the owner of a unicorn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:22 pm 

I have a crazy question. Does anybody on the board know of any other owners that have this style of skyline in the US or Japan? I have searched and searched but I just find museum pictures. I have seen owners that have the quad headlight style but not the double. I know of a pink car purchased by Mooneyes, a black japanese car in youtube videos and the one in the Nissan Heritage Museum. Any information would be helpful. Thanks

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 26 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next