#
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:05 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 6 of 27   [ 532 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 27  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:24 am 

So, after the paint-guy told me it would be wrong to leave de-painted metal without any coating (it would start to rust immediatly) and after i now know i can removeo thw whole suspension and everything i decided to get the car stripped down totally first, before i contiune with the metal-repair and paint removing...

wanted to remove the front axle and suspension assembly today, but then found out the engine is actually sitting on the front suspension bar, so i cant' remove it without getting the engine out first. argh.
but well i prepared a few things so it will go easier and faster when it's time for the front axle removal.

1) started to remove the front brake lines from the assembly.

2) then started to remove what they call "compression bars" in the service manual:

3) Finally both compression bars out:

then i got a little inspiration. a diecast model. mine will be exactly like this one, except those totally wrong wheels and a different colour. beautiful :)

also i'm currently thinking of how to build a rotisserie, but more on t hat another day :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:48 pm 

Awesome project u got going on here..cant wait it to be transformed..just pure terrific may i say JDMjunkies.ch! :tu:

"I'M DATSUN CRA2Y"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:22 pm 

sorry about your honda bro, still following the process and waiting for new updates :D :D :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:37 am 

Well after i read a lot the last past hours about the usage and builds of rotisserie's and how easier it made work and how much you can't do a professional build without one i decided i need one :D
thanks guys, alyway love your inputs!! :tu:

But after i checked prices and delivery of those few avialeble i decided i need to build my own one. there are a lot of different types, but the base-idea is always the same.

I have not really planned the details yet, and i need to do some drawings and calculations and find someone who can show me how to weld (yeah i can't so far :P) but then i found this:

If you're looking for something similar, check this page, brilliant selfmade (or self-modified) rotisserie for the S30Z chassis. Also i've been told that the rear bumper suppor mounts are strong enough to hold the car there.
http://www.zparts.com/zptech/articles/r ... lide01.htm

then after i looked a bit more at the pages of that selfmade-rotisserie i decided it might be a bit too simple and now the idea is to build something between the one above and this a bit mor professional one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:56 am 

I would go for the first rotisserie you posted, because it does not have those cross bars for you to trip on when you are concentrating on the car, one step back and you will be on your bum!

but then i tend to trip over things in the shop 110v trouble lamps fear me.

I do like the idea of having it on wheels, bigger wheels you can go the better.

best of luck .the best way to learn is start doing.

back to lurking in your thread
Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:13 am 

yeah i actually thought the same thing so i will do it like the most other ones have done it and just do a single bar in the center (underneath the car) istead of those two outside. but i think the version on the first picture is maybe a bit unsecure..

somethign like this one:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:28 am 

Whoohoow :) If just every day would be as successful as today :P
As my friend Andy came over again to give me a hand and some advice in removing the engine and transmission i wanted to prepare a few things first and had a few small tasks to do:

1) Started to remove the tow hook but sadly broke off one stud, need to get it out when the car is on the rotisserie:

2) Then i removed a Ring that seems to be some isolation between the fuel tank and the inside of the car:

Ring & Rubber finally out:

3) Next i checked what they've done to the car previously. as you can see the rear skirt has been welded to the quarters, so everything is one piece now. as i want a genuine look again, i need to cut that into pieces and seems like i need to replace some bigger parts like the rear skirt, lowe quarters and mabe even the upper ones.

4) Removed also a few smaller pieces like for example those things who seem to hold the cowl panel in place:

5) Then my friend Andy showed up and we started to prepare for the engine to come out. first was removing the starter motor:

6) also removed the clutch cylinder and stuff (sadly forgot to make a picture)

7) Then continued with preparing the engine to come out, we decided to take engine and transmission out in two steps, so we fixed the Transmission and then removed the Valve cover.
But then we decided to use some bolts from the head to get the engine out istead of the head bolts:

8) Finally we got the eingine out there - yesss :)

9) And then also the transmission. Andy mentioned that the cogs on the main gear where slightly worn out, but i think it's still ok but possibly will replace it..

so that's it for today, now im able to remove the front suspension and rear. really happy with today's progress and big thanks to andy :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:50 am 

Here we go again...
Wanted to do a ton of things today, but at the end a few things didn't work out as planned.

for example: Got a few screws prepared to get the engine on the engine stand today, but then i figured out that it won't fit on the stand when the clutch is still in place.. argh! need to check that..

but now the good news:

some partes arrived here from zcarsource.com a greally great shop i really like to recommend!
rear used numberplate mounting panel:

and a genuine nissan new Transmission oil drain plug (mine was missing)

after i figured out that i won't be able to mount the engine on the stand i decided to work on the front axle/suspension and after everything was prepared and the engine was out i got it done in no time:

then i removed the clutch cylinder. man this thing looks horrible :/ totally rusted and as you can see they used a scew as push rod when they last reworked it..

continued with some smaller things like the hatch damper mounting bracket

and as next big task will be to remove all the brake lines (& clutch line) as well as the complete rear axle with differential i decided to prepare a bit and disconnected / bleeded the rear brake lines:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:44 am 

so, as i wanted to fold that engine lifter together and have it out of my workspace, i spent some time with that task today.

started to remove the clutch and flywheel. luckily a guy stopped by and wanted to sell me a car-lifter so i talked him into helping me get the flywheel off :)
sadly i broke three nuts who where holding the clutch onto the flywheel..

next was the cover-plate:

then i got the engine mounted on the engine stand:

and a shot from the intake/exhaust side:

i decided to get the valve cover mounted back on top to prevent dirt going into the valves and to have it out of the way:

so now the front end is almost completely torn down, only a few hoses and lines left :)

next big task will be the rear suspension, axle and differential :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:33 am 

so here we go.. the project "stage 1" (strip the car to bare shell) is almost completed :D

after about two hours of work and hassling around with some rusty screws i finally managed to get the complete rear suspension assembly including the driveshafts and differential out - great :)

that's how i made my support for things coming down :D

and the complete assembly out of the back:

and some under-floor shots. please note the brown lines underneath are not rust - it's some kind of body-sealer the previos builder used and is coming through the white paint...

now only a few support brackets and brake lines are left, thenn stage 1 is complete and body repair will beginn :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:49 am 

Started a lit late today, therefore not too much progress. had to fix the sound system in my daily first, after it's repaired again now :)
well it's gonna be a short update - just started to remove the rear upper diff support and all the brakelines:

before (marked all the lines)

rear brakeline distribution stuff:

front brakelines and clutch line out:

and the upper differential support bracket / belt:

now only a few screws in the rear left and the shell is completely stripped :)
will be so much easier to install this stuff when i have a rotisserie.

sadly i had to cut off a lot of the screws as most of them where rotten, so i will need to cut a lot of new threads...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:44 am 

Here we go, spent a few minues at the garage, removed the last two screws and finally all th e brake lines to the rear:

so finally i have a bare-naked and completely stripped shell :)
cleaned up my garage a bit and took some pictures:

well, now i think i will take a little break, have to get my rotisserie built first until i can move on, and im thinking of to maybe get a rollcage into the car, but first have to think a bout it maybe a bit more..

we'll see. but at least i managed with out any big idea about cars to get it completely stripped without any big damage on myself or the car. that's just great :D

after the rotisserie is built i will continue with removing paint, get the primer on and remove a lot of hidden rust and rotten metal..
have a nice weekend guys :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:49 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Taking stuff apart isnt that exciting, its putting it back in the right place and right order what makes it interesting :)
But you made a good start!

1970 C30 Laurel
1972 240Z
1973 610 Wagon
1977 260Z
1995 Micra
1999 200SX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:06 pm 

Cool progress man!Like the way you work.Its good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:52 am 

So another short update for you who might wonder what's going on at the moment :D
first i made bit research and planed my rotisserie today. was y bit of calculating, drawing sketches and making an order list for my nearby steel shop.
I asked them for a quote and if i can afford it i will order the steel parts cutted into right dimensions and ready to weld. we'll see :)

then i thought as phase one is completed it would be time for a litte review of work done so far:
this is how it looked five months ago when i found it stored away from the previous owner:

and that's how it looks now (5 months later). until yet i didn't have too many big problems and i still am highly motivated on getting things done. but of course some bigger questions are unsanswered yet, but im pretty sure there's a solution for everything :) im still searching the internet for great upgrade-parts and things and i have to say i've got a nice list of rare and uneen JDM-stuff for the Lady. but i've learned from previous project that it would't make a lot of sense to spend money on things like an interieur mirror a this point.. so i'll have to wait with a lot of stuff and spend the money at different points. but that's just the way to do it right i think :)

btw: thanks for all your comments and feedbacks, really gives me some always-needed motivation to go ahead :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:30 am 

Yeah i know, "just do it" is the slogan of a famous sports wear brand, but it's a pretty good slogan :D at some points in my project i just have to do it. I coud think about how to do stuff for weeks but then nothing will ever be done, so today i decided to just do some things even if im not really sure if its the best possible way to get it done :)

1) I'm telling you all the time how important it is to buy parts only short before you need them. i tend to buy expensive useless parts early and then don't have any money where it really would be needed. so i decided already before i started with this project to NOT do so this time. but today i just found one of these hard-to-get rare JDM parts on Yahoo auctions so i just had to buy it. the item is discontinued and this one was actually a brand-new out of the box item. was really expensive but i just had to have it for my project. hope i can show you soon what i bought myself today :D

2) same with the rotisserie. i could spend another 3 weeks thinking about how to improve design, stiffnes and stuff but at the end i decided to just order the pieces i need. total 35 pieces, cut into right lenght. cost me about 400$ including delivery but everything will be done right then and i just have to get them welded together.. really expensive. but yeah. i just did it and im sure the project keeps on going :D parts should arrive here on wednsday..

3) no post without a picture :D got a used drivers side window from a reader called Franco from italy. greetings to italy man, thanks for your help :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:07 pm 
Mild Cam

Nothing in this world holds more promise than a bare shell awaiting a rebuild. The proverbial calm before the storm.

1984 Porsche 911
1988 Mazda RX7

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:35 am 

Yeah i've got some news again :)

1) the steel parts for the rotisserie are delayed one day, but at least the shop told me to deliver them for free because of the delay. i should have the parts here tomorrow and that's ok :)

2) I work as an endoscopy repair technican at my daily job, but unfortunately these are medical devices who require big monitors, lot of cables and have big processing units, so i bought myself a cheap USB-endoscope-camaera device with LED lighting included. after i figured out that my laptop monitor was broken i installed a setup that worked and checked different cavities in the car to see how much rust is inside..

actually the camera quality really sucks compared to our company's high definition endoscopic-camers with Xenon lighting etc, but i think it did the job and as i bought it at a local discounter store it only costed 40 bucks :)
now that's how it looked inside the passengers-side air channel (on top of the front wheel housing). some surface-rust and some spider-webs but i think some por-15 will do the job..

Mostly i only had some surface rust, like seen her at the bottom of the A-pillar (drivers side foot-area side wall...)

worst place was defintily at the rear end of the driver's side rocker panel..

and i even found some screws underneath the divers side floor pan :)

not too bad i think. doesn't need too much repair, we'll see how it looks outside underneath the paint..

now it's time to buy some parts on the internet :D more updates coming soon..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:35 am 

thanks again franco :) Quite funny about italian postal officers don't know how to ship a package to ther neighbour country :) but at the end everything was fine! well done :)

Just a short update:
As mentioned yesterday a load of pre-cutted steel arrived here today, so i'll be able to mount the rotisserie.. now just have to find someone who can weld this together for me :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:53 pm 

i will do it for you,no problem.
i live in aargau,i think it would be done on one saturday.
send pm if you need my help.
cheers

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 6 of 27   [ 532 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 27  Next