#
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:34 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: '83 Datsun Maxima
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:53 pm 

Hi all. I'm new to the forum, so I figured now would be as good of a time as any to show you my car. I picked it up a few weeks ago in upstate NC to replace my 2nd gen 626, which destroyed it's gearbox in a very bad way. It has about 178k, with the stock L24e/4-speed automatic. From what I can gather from all the paperwork, it hasn't seen the road since 2001. It's starts up at a turn of the key (and stays running) on nearly 10 year old gas! Show me how many cars can do that.

Mechanically, the car is very solid. The engine is very smooth, no valve-train noise, leaks, or anything. The transmission also shifted fine in the short time I've driven it. Oil pressure is good. It runs slightly rough at idle due to the old gas and needing a serious tune-up, and the exhaust looks like swiss cheese, but that's all minor stuff.

Cosmetically, it needs a bit more work, but nothing too serious. The paint still shines, but there is rust (as seen in the pics) on the trunk lid, rocker panels, and underneath the bumpers. All of it appears to be surface rust. The original alloys are dirty, but in good shape. The tires are dry-rotted to hell and need to be replaced before it becomes safe to drive.

The upholstery is fine, with the only real damage being the rip down the side of the driver's seat. The center console is missing, the master window switches don't work, and the glovebox is broken. All other switches work fine. The radio, all windows, power antenna/mirrors/door lock, and all gauges work. The brake light switch is stuck, which required me to pull the brake light fuse to keep the battery from draining. If anyone knows where I can get a center console, master window switch, and glovebox door, please let me know.

In the near future, I plan to replace the l24e/auto that's in it now with an l28et/5-speed. I've located a running 280zx with chassis rot for only 400. I may just have to take the guy up on his offer. I also would like a pair of black enkei mesh wheels. If you or anyone you know has a pair, let me know.

I nearly forgot to mention that it does have the "Talking Lady", and she's fully operational =p

Anyways, that's it for now. Thanks for looking, and enjoy the pics.

-Brenden

[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:46 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Talking lady!
Kewl!
Should look fat lowered on good wheels :tu:

Hooks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:47 pm 

neat car, Brenden. wish I was close enough to buy those original rims from you. I've always liked 'em.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:37 am 

good stuff man, should look good dumped on some mesh 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:56 am 

Dude. I still have a bunch of parts for this car in my garage I think.

My dad and uncles used to have a shit load of them back in the day

Heres a picture i scanned a while ago

The car with the 280z wheels had a L28E swap and a LSD diff from a 280z from what I understood them telling me in a drunken state lol.
It was still auto though

Ill see if I find the parts and you can have them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:08 pm 

31GUN wrote:
Talking lady!
Kewl!
Should look fat lowered on good wheels :tu:

Hooks

Thanks. My dad had an '82 200sx and a Maxima of the same year back in the day, so the talking lady has it's nostalgia. I'm going to have to show you guys a video of the talking lady one day, since many people have asked.

baron von chickenpants wrote:
neat car, Brenden. wish I was close enough to buy those original rims from you. I've always liked 'em.

They're in pretty good shape. I would just give them to you for free once I get my mesh or z31 wheels, but the shipping costs would probably be a small fortune.

Nismopunch wrote:
good stuff man, should look good dumped on some mesh 8)

I really want some mesh wheels, but people are asking for outrageous amounts of money for them. My dad has a set back in NY, but once again, there's the shipping costs. A set of z31 wheels should do just fine in the meantime lol.

brownmagic wrote:
Dude. I still have a bunch of parts for this car in my garage I think.

My dad and uncles used to have a shit load of them back in the day

Heres a picture i scanned a while ago

The car with the 280z wheels had a L28E swap and a LSD diff from a 280z from what I understood them telling me in a drunken state lol.
It was still auto though

Ill see if I find the parts and you can have them.

Thanks. That would be awesome. I wish that I knew of your existance about 8 months ago before I moved out of NY. I do hope you have the parts, though...The junk yard hasn't been any help so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:02 pm 
Administrator

Welcome to JNC! Great project, and yes, it's amazing that it still idles after a decade of sitting.

As for wheels, if you remove the tires you can probably ship all four cross country for like $60-100. They aren't that big. Good luck and keep us updated on your resto.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:03 pm 

ben wrote:
Welcome to JNC! Great project, and yes, it's amazing that it still idles after a decade of sitting.

As for wheels, if you remove the tires you can probably ship all four cross country for like $60-100. They aren't that big. Good luck and keep us updated on your resto.

Thanks. I'll be sure to remember that it the situation ever arises.

Update: Car should be roadworthy by this friday! Cosmetic/bodywork, will be taken care of when funds permit, but it's now mechanically sound.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:44 am 

Unfortunately, do to circumstances mentioned in the link below, car is now for sale. Click the link for details: http://columbia.craigslist.org/cto/1867694887.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:32 pm 
JNC Fanatic

I say this in a GOOD way... I hope you don't sell it. That way you, and your Maxima can stay on our forum. lol :wink:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]