Well, at it again today. Making progress, feels/seems like I didn't do much, but I did get a lot accomplished. Which is good, having only one day to work on it last weekend and today this one. I'd like to and probably should work on it tomorrow... but there's a drift comp that I've been planing to see.
So, as far as today's progress:
I started with finishing getting the transmission mount sorted. I used the original trans crossmember and rotated it backwards. With the engine positioning I choose, I had to trim the crossmember a little and drill new holes for the mounting. I also added the SR's exhaust downpipe bracket.
The new trans mount
The new mounting uses two of these, solid mounting. And the insert is only in the top portion and protrudes into the trans mount hole, which is larger size.
One of the mounts on the trans
you can see how the bolt is installed on the other, and where the protruding part goes into.
, you can the two new holes for the trans mounting (will be reinforced later). Also the trimmed portion and the two new bolts hold on the SR's downpipe bracket. The urethane pad with it is more padding for the mount, you'll see in a couple more pics.
The back view of the crossmember
Shows the SR's downpipe bracket.
The trans crossmember installed, back view
You can see the extra urethane pad goes under the trans. It just covers a small gap that the new mounts don't.
The trans crossmember installed front view.
So, trans mounting sorted. Next was getting the exhaust downpipe placement clear. The old front suspension used trailing arms. And the trailing arm mount sits right where the turbo exit pipe goes into the downpipe. So, the trailing arm mount bracket needed to be removed. As I've said, I didn't want to cut away at the body at all, but I realized I need to give on a couple of things. But I have stuck with making it all being able to be undone. As the trailing arm mounts were manufactured and then welded on, I cut the seam welds and drilled the spot welds. So the mount bracket's off and being kept if ever needed to be welded on again some day.
Turbo exit pipe and trailing arm mount bracket
The mount bracket, can kinda see how it's attached
The bracket removed, ready for a downpipe
Same thing, different view
Also, you can see one of the rust spots that's through, it'll be good to get it into the desert soon and start fixing those.
So, the next project was for the fuel pump to be mounted. As it's external, I tried to get it as close to the fuel tank as possible. The closest spot was under the rear seat, driver's side. There's a nice safe area right by the fuel pipe routing. So it's mounted, but still needs to be plumbed and powered.
Fuel pump mounted
Next on the list to accomplish today was getting the engine's wire harness through the firewall for the ECU. I found a good spot on the passenger side firewall, outboard of the washer fluid tank. There was a plug with a small hole there as it was, just had to make it larger for the ECU harness.
The routing location
, you can barely see the previously plugged hole that determined the location.
The ECU harness routed
The final items I finished with were getting the coolant lines connected on the back side of the engine. The power steering reservoir mounted and plumbing finished. And getting the brake booster's vacuum line connected.
That's the update for this weekend. Tomorrow I get to take pictures of other cars! I can't wait!