#
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:34 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 7 of 10   [ 184 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: 1970 Nissan Laurel KC30 coupe w/ SR20DET
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:37 pm 

this is one of those "I'm too excited to wait until I install the parts to post this" posts.
Today some of my needed parts came in. First is the rear coilovers:
They are a set of 510 (not wagon) rears I ordered from Ground Control. I've desperately needed rear coilovers as the front has S13 coilovers and driving with stock rear shocks has been interesting to say the least. This need was made even more demanding when I finally replaced all the dry rotting old tires and put the tire sizes I wanted on with the 15" Watanabes. With that and the rear spacing to match the front, the rear tires started scrubbing the fenders with the stock shock as well. After researching I ended up finding out that the rear 510 shocks luckily about match the KC30's rear shocks and lead me to getting these.

The second needed item has been a fuel surge tank:
I came across this setup from 034 Motorsports. It's a fuel surge tank with a built in Bosch 044 fuel pump. Once together it'll hold 1 liter of fuel and I have several different mounting options. I've needed this due to fueling issues I've been having. It's been sputtering under throttle. Though the current Walbro 255lph external pump is more than adequate for pushing, I think it's having issues with the small feed line from the tank and getting enough fuel sucked in. Though I do intend to change the fuel tank setup, this is a good fix for now and will help ensure I don't have fuel starvation issues. Since even after I sort out the fuel tank lines, I will have to worry about it from fuel sloshing.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:41 am 

Today I got the rear coilovers in. Took a little to sort out fitment. I wanted a little more length to have decent travel due to the stock vs coilover length.
I don't have a pic, but I added three large washers (same size as the bushing) to the top to lengthen it. Added about 1/2 inch. Also, since these are for a 510 I wasn't certain on clearance which I was right to worry about a little. The bottom shock mount bracket has a lip that was in the way of the spring mount, took a little finessing to have the lip bent to clear it. Then the inside fender wall is extremely close, but just clears.
Here's a couple of pics of them in:
ImageImage
For right now I left the stock spring in the trailing arm, I know it's supposed to be coming out, but with the front being overly stiff right now it actually matches with it left in. That will be part two of the suspension when I get the front coilovers sorted/replaced.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:26 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Looking nice, how low can they go?
Were can i buy these? i need my rear end to go as low as my front end too!

1970 C30 Laurel
1972 240Z
1973 610 Wagon
1977 260Z
1995 Micra
1999 200SX

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:09 pm 

Eric wrote:

Don't know where he got his, but I've heard good things about these:

http://www.ermish-racing.com/suspension.cfm

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:10 pm 

And T3 makes them with adjustable shocks. :tu:

http://www.technotoytuning.com/productdetail.php?p=656

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:24 pm 

Eric wrote:

These are Ground Control ones that I got directly from them here:
http://www.ground-control-store.com/pro ... php?II=758
Check under shipping info and they have contact info for international orders.

I haven't tested how far down these will go. I actually need to keep mine up to have the tires clear the fender. But with the stock springs out and set on the lowest setting I would think it'd be pretty low.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:25 pm 

I started getting my fuel surge tank together. With it's size, I'll have to mount it where the current fuel pump is, then move it closer to the tank.
Here's the assembly going together. Pump installed on the outlet end plate:

Here's links to pics of:
the cylinder installed on the outlet plate with the fuel pump in
all together with the inlet end plate installed
fuel outlet end plate
fuel inlet end plate

Now I ordered with the surge tank the banjo to nipple adaptors. The frustrating part is that I received 3, but there's nothing included for the actual pump outlet which is in the bottom right of this picture:

It needs a banjo fitting and some sort of capped nut. I've contacted the place I ordered the surge tank from, but haven't heard anything **edit: I have gotten in touch with someone, hoping to sort it out. Really looking forward to fitting this surge tank**. I've found a source for the banjo to nipple adaptor, but still have to figure out where to get the capped nut.

Other then that, I took the Laurel out to a local car show today. It was a lot smaller than I had expected (maybe 25 cars) so not very exciting. Anyways, here's a pic of it there today, I'm very happy with the stance it's ending up having:

Last edited by KC30 on Tue May 24, 2011 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:15 pm 

i like i would want somthing with some lip in the rear end and a tiny bit lower in the rear but all in all i love this thing

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:23 pm 

I love the stance as is. That mean old school rake..... :shock:

I think a duckbill and a small spoiler would be absolutely crazy.

Killer car man!

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:00 pm 

i like the way it sits now to i just dont like wheel well gap :P

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:56 pm 

I could agree with that. but either way this car encompasses old school cool

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:47 pm 

KC30 wrote:
Now I ordered with the surge tank the banjo to nipple adaptors. The frustrating part is that I received 3, but there's nothing included for the actual pump outlet which is in the bottom right of this picture:

It needs a banjo fitting and some sort of capped nut. I've contacted the place I ordered the surge tank from, but haven't heard anything (very frustrating). I've found a source for the banjo to nipple adaptor, but still have to figure out where to get the capped nut.

Hey man, love the car! Just came across your build, and im loving what im seeing! I actually work here at 034 Motorsport and I want to help you get what you need. Shoot me an email and we can work out the details!

Jhale@034motorsport.com

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:41 pm 

bonvo & 1978 ke30: Thanks for the comments, I'm still working on the final stance I'll have. I want the rear a little lower, but have to find the point right above scrubbing. It's going to take a little testing. The one issue that I have to factor in is that the front is as narrow as I can make it with the S13 front end. So the rear I have matching now, an doesn't allow the wheels to tuck into the fender.
I have to admit I think the car would look mean with fender flares, rear lip and front air damn. But I swore when I bought it I wouldn't drill/cut the body. So other than things I absolutely had to to get the engine swap done, I'm sticking to that. (It's what's taking me some time to sort out the radiator and intercooler, both will be custom to fit in the confined spaces.) The one thing I am thinking of putting on exterior wise is a front air damn... the screws are there for me to be able to install without drilling. But that'll be down the road after I sort all the mechanical stuff, then strip it for a full body restore.

Jhale034: Thanks for the contact! I actually just got your email also. Thanks for getting a hold of me, I'm looking forward to getting this surge tank sorted/fitted, it's the only one I found that suits what I need without cutting the car up to route/mount. Once I get the fuel system sorted I can work the radiator/intercooler I mentioned and finally have the SR running more than the low detuned boost I'm doing now to prevent damage. (The reason I only drive it about once a week if that right now). Though I have to admit, I think it's going to be a little scary once I have the engine running how I want it to.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:04 am 

yeah they match but that spacer scares me lol i think with the front wheels the way they are and get back wheels the same style and size just different offset so you can ditch the spacer and gain some lip it would be perfect give it that old school muscle look i have the same kinda deal going with my 610 14x6 front 14x8 rear zero offset i believe on both but these wheels might be harder to find

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:28 pm 

Well, the spacers I'm actually not that worried about. After my incident of the 40 year old wheel studs being excessively worn (wheel fell off and the studs were WORN, I put a lug nut on and it wiggled and rattled around horribly!). I installed new longer studs, then installed a jam nut after the wheel nuts. So they aren't coming loose again. I'd like some deep rears, but I actually have classic Watanabe's and can't find any similar type. Plus I didn't like how it looked with a very positive front (can't change) and a deep dish rear. It's been interesting seeing what does and doesn't work. It's a never ending process.

Also, I have the needed hardware on the way thanks to Josh helping me out. I've been very excited to getting my fuel system sorted out. Seems silly, but it's always been my idea to get the fuel system straight, then start sorting out the engine needed items (intercooler/wide band O2/etc), tuning and aiming for the 300hp goal I have.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:09 pm 

Well, I'm slowly getting everything I need to start sorting things out. Josh from 034 Motorsport helped me out and shipped the missing banjo fitting and fluid bolt. I also ordered a cap nut so that I can use the Bosch 044's check valve.

Also, since the fuel system will be sorted out, the next main step is to sort out the radiator and intercooler. But I need to be able to monitor the AFR so I've started to get what I need for that. First an O2 sensor that my Apexi turbo timer can read (not compatible with the tiny titanium sensor my SR uses), so I picked one up for the 300zx TT.
There's also a new turbo outlet elbow and O2 sensor bung on the way.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:13 pm 

KC30 wrote:
Well, I'm slowly getting everything I need to start sorting things out. Josh from 034 Motorsport helped me out and shipped the missing banjo fitting and fluid bolt. I also ordered a cap nut so that I can use the Bosch 044's check valve.

Also, since the fuel system will be sorted out, the next main step is to sort out the radiator and intercooler. But I need to be able to monitor the AFR so I've started to get what I need for that. First an O2 sensor that my Apexi turbo timer can read (not compatible with the tiny titanium sensor my SR uses), so I picked one up for the 300zx TT.
There's also a new turbo outlet elbow and O2 sensor bung on the way.

Glad to help! Let me know if theres anything else I can help you with. We carry tons of universal parts that would look great on your KC30!
Also, if you haven't purchased the AFR Gauge, I can suggest the Innovate MTX-L :idea:
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/MTXL.php

http://www.034motorsport.com/engine-mon ... 21286.html

Loving the progress and I bet that car will be insane with 300+hp :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:48 pm 

Thanks again Josh!

The turbo outlet elbow came in today.
Out of focus above it is the 2nd O2 bung that I'll be getting added on. Once that's done I'll start sorting out the exhaust also. That's going to be tricky and expensive. I'm looking to run 3" all the way out, but I have very limited ground clearance. Lucky I've found a few places that produce oval exhaust and the required transitions, so I'm planning on using that from the turbo to behind the rear subframe, then 3" muffler and out. Just have to figure out a good muffler that will fit and I'll like the sound of... I think that'll be the trickiest part.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:01 am 
JNC Enthusiast

the carb line is only 6mm, and your walbro needs 8!

when i took my c30 tank off i already notcied the small fuel pickup, still have to figure something out the plumb in a new piece of 8mm pipe.

1970 C30 Laurel
1972 240Z
1973 610 Wagon
1977 260Z
1995 Micra
1999 200SX

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:04 pm 

Yeah, I'm working on upgrading the fuel line now as well. It's only been recently that I've been trying heavy throttle. There's fuel line on it's way.

Also, interestingly enough, when I was looking at the O2 and turbo outlet elbow stuff, I realized that the MAF seemed a little odd. I had one with a 90* plug and not the straight that I'm used to seeing. So I started researching and found that I had a CA18DET MAF. Not sure how I didn't catch that during the install, but it was pretty rushed at that point. Luckily (for me) a friend's waiting on his wire harness for this S13 SR and I was able to borrow his MAF... what a difference! So I'm pretty sure the source of my problems was tied to the wrong MAF. Now I have a new correct MAF headed my way.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 7 of 10   [ 184 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next