#
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:05 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 6 of 10   [ 184 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:59 am 

KC30 wrote:
I'm coming across conflicting info... I've found some info saying it matches the 510,610 & 710 from 75-79. But other info saying it matches the 510 from 68-72. I'm sure most of the different info is due to different markets (US, Japan, AU, etc).

All those use the same one. :wink:

Quote:
From looking around, it looks like the US market 510 from 69-70 shares the same master cylinder. So I may go out on a limb and order for that.

Can anyone confirm that this is the same as the ~70 510 clutch master cylinder? Any info or help would be appreciated!

I can confirm it, yes. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:03 pm 

Pic of '70-73 510 clutch master:

In my personal experience, almost every Datsun from '70-78 uses the same clutch master. :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:55 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

my clutch master was leaking to, replaced it with a 240z one, perfect fit.

1970 C30 Laurel
1972 240Z
1973 610 Wagon
1977 260Z
1995 Micra
1999 200SX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:23 pm 

datsunfreak wrote:
Pic of '70-73 510 clutch master

Thanks guys for the info and reassurance. I was looking for a pic on Google images and didn't come across one, so thanks for that. Helps set my mind at ease.
I would have considered going to the more modern ones (like my Skyline had), but I have very limited space and it can't be any longer than this one. When I was taking it out, I was a little worried, the intake manifold on the SR is right there and it JUST cleared.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:49 pm 

Today the new clutch master cylinder arrived. I ended up ordering a new one made by PBR for ~$30. So this is what I will be doing Saturday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:02 am 

Hey kc30. Are you in alamogordo. If you are then maybe you know brad. His screen name is allgudhuh. He recently bought my old 78 corona. He has pics of it here. Your car is really cool. There is a club here in albuquerque that does a datsun meet every thursday nite at mimis. It might be a good place for you to show off your ride.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:23 am 
Administrator

Imageah ok i see that 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:50 pm 

78toy4dr wrote:
His screen name is allgudhuh. He recently bought my old 78 corona. He has pics of it here. Your car is really cool. There is a club here in albuquerque that does a datsun meet every thursday nite at mimis. It might be a good place for you to show off your ride.

Yeah, I know of his wagon, looks pretty good. I'll have to check out the Datsun meet, but I'd have to find a free Thursday first, those are a little difficult.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:00 pm 

Well, due to weather, I've been leaving the Laurel alone for awhile. I've done a few minor things, fixed the radiator hose that wanted to start leaking.

I started having my mileage drop drastically, it steadily dropped through the fill ups from around 20, to 17, 15, 14, 13. I was wondering WTF, but didn't have time to take a look into it, as there were no puddles of fuel or smell that gave any signs of a leak. But the last fill up (last week, 13mpg) I drove a short distance (within 20 mi.) and the fuel gauge was down to 1/2!? I checked everything under the car, and still no sign of a leak. But that night I drove it home, it was really cold out, and I could smell fuel pretty good. So as soon as I got home I looked under, and nothing. I looked under the hood, and the fuel feed line through the fender wall had residue around the rubber. So I checked it out, sure enough it was leaking a little. Looks like under full throttle it was spraying, but being in the engine bay and that I usually drive it when it was hot out, it would evaporate before leaving signs of a leak. That night was cold enough that I could smell it well and find it. So I just had to get a smaller fuel line clamp and that sorted it out.

Yesterday I helped a friend pull a L28 from his 280ZX to make room for an RB25DET that's on it's way. One thing I noticed was that his fan clutch was in really good shape (the one on my SR is a little worn out), and that it would fit, and even better that it had one more blade than mine. Since he was getting rid of his L28, he let me have the fan. Here's a pic of the two, the SR20's is on the left and the L28's on the right:
So today I fitted it, no problems. It protrudes from the engine very slightly less than the SR's did. I can see the temp runs just a little bit less, so it's getting more airflow. On a side note, I think this fan's balanced slightly better also, I don't feel quite as much vibration since I changed it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:32 am 

There's been no real updates to the Laurel. Just waiting to find time and money to get some things done to it. Driving it on occasion to keep it running. I luckily drove it one day when we had a static display and decided to sneak a shot of it:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:28 pm 
Mild Cam

skunk wrote:
What has been done to the Amigo? I know it's not quite nostalgic, but nonetheless...

+1 I feel less silly asking about it now, heh.

Amazing read altogether. Certainly kept me occupied this Sunday. :tu:

1984 Porsche 911
1988 Mazda RX7

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:11 pm 

Skunk: I'd like to keep 14" wheels and deep dish offsets, but the front S13 brakes won't fit the 14" wheels and as you know from the reading, I have to keep the positive offset for the front as well. I just ordered wheel spacers for the rear (50mm!) so I can put the rear wheels like the front on and hopefully the stance will be close to matching.

As far as the Amigo, here's a link to it: '94 Amigo (aka. Slow-migo)
I've had it since '97 in Vegas. I had it there a couple of years, then sat in storage for about 4 years when I lived in Japan. After that I shipped it with me to the UK for 6 years, then shipped it back with me to NM. It's been lifted, has some Japanese Isuzu MU (what it's called there) nurf bars and seats. Also had the MU hatchback style hardtop on it for some years, then I got the UK Vauxhall Frontera (what it is there) hardtop with removable glass and top panel.
Here's some pics of it through it's changes:
How it first was (and my old Skyline I miss VERY much)
The Japanese nurf bars and hard top
The UK hard top
Image[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:52 pm 

Skunk: I wish I could have gotten the 3.1L turbo diesel from one of the Isuzu MUs in Japan and brought it back. But that proved more difficult that I had hoped.

Today the wheel spacers (50mm) for the rear finally showed up. These are so that I can fit my 15" wheels with positive offset on, which are the matching rims to the front wheels. For those that don't know, with the S13/14 front subframe and control arms I needed no smaller than 15" wheels and positive offset to fit the fender lines in front. So here's the new spacers:
Here's the old and new wheel:
Here you can see the spacer difference for the 15" wheel:
Here's the wheel difference installed:
And here's the difference with the fenderline:
ImageImage

Here's some pictures not worth posting directly:
wheel spacers
15" wheel inside
15" wheel inside with spacer
Rear brake drum
Rear brake drum with spacer

I plan to get a picture of the entire car tomorrow, it looks MUCH better now with this stance. I measured it out and the front and rear total width is about 63" with the front being just slightly wider (~1/4"). The tire size is still not quite what I want. I plan to go a little taller and wider, but can't until I get the suspension sorted out. Right now it's stock suspension in the rear and I have to worry about it rubbing the tires on the fender if I go any bigger. Also, I do intend to upgrade the rear brakes to disc, but like the suspension it's finding free time and money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:38 am 

So here's a picture with the matching 15" wheels finally:
Only bad thing is that after this picture was taken, the left rear wheel and spacer came off while driving. All the lug nuts backed off in only ~10 miles. This is after torquing properly and even using locktite. So I'm off for new lug bolts. The fender was only damaged in a spot that there's excessive rust and will have to be replaced anyways. But the wheel was gouged by the rear drum, it's survivable, but sucks.

Post subject: Re: 1970 Nissan Laurel KC30 coupe w/ SR20DET
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:13 pm 

So, after nursing out the dry rotted pair of 195/50r15 Toyo's (that constantly lost air) I finally got the other two new tires. Last time I installed 195/50r15 Dunlop Direzza DZ101's on the rear. They are good, but I wanted a little more width for the rear. So I move those to the front and ordered 225/45r15 Nitto NT-01's for the rear. I really wanted Hankook Ventus R-S3's for the rear, but they are backordered for some time and the only other tire I could find for that size was the NT-01. I had to go with it as the dry rotted Toyo's have had me worried.

So here's the old Toyo and new Nitto:
ImageImage

Here's the Nitto installed:

And finally the entire car, with new shoes:

Here's a link to the full size image of that picture so you can see the tires better if you'd like: Laurel's new shoes

Now, the only problem is that I'm having some fender scrubbing. So it's time to get the stock shocks replaced with coilovers. After looking, it appears that the 510 rear shock is almost the same length, so I ordered Ground Control rear coilovers and hope like hell that they work.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:59 am 

I've been in need of new wheel lug nuts and lock and finally got them. I ended up trying the new McGard splined lug nuts. Here's the old vs new nut:

They're very nice, but I have to admit I'm a little torn about how they look on the wheel. They just look pretty tiny, I'm used to the good old bulky lug nuts:

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:27 pm 
Administrator

just an fyi i've seen wats fail from not using wat lugnuts

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:30 pm 

I'll have to keep an eye on it, that's the first I've heard of it. I didn't even know they had Watanabe lug nuts until then, lol.
I'm hoping it should be ok as the Japanese owner didn't have them for the 3 years he had it and none of the guys in Japan I knew with Watanabes did either.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:19 am 
JNC Enthusiast

i never heared of watanabee lugnuts before, just make shure you have the right shape of nuts, as long as your seat angle is correct you'll be fine.

1970 C30 Laurel
1972 240Z
1973 610 Wagon
1977 260Z
1995 Micra
1999 200SX

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:51 am 
Administrator

KC30 wrote:
I'll have to keep an eye on it, that's the first I've heard of it. I didn't even know they had Watanabe lug nuts until then, lol.
I'm hoping it should be ok as the Japanese owner didn't have them for the 3 years he had it and none of the guys in Japan I knew with Watanabes did either.

wat wheels/lugnuts use a peculiar seat
you should be fine, i just like to give people the heads up since i've seen it happen :shock:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 6 of 10   [ 184 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next