#
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:52 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 39 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: 1984 300zx - Rebirth of a Z
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:47 pm 

Well, this weekend was a disaster. We did get the front end all buttoned up and sitting on the ground but the rear is another story. To avoid jinxing myself further (because that seems to be par for the course) I'm going to wait until things are fixed before explaining what happened.

So that's one vote for Rota's, I'll be ordering wheels pretty soon so I can have them on hand when I have the money for tires. I've got until early April to get stuff ordered and installed. Planning on attending Z Attack in Nashville and want to have it all ready for the show. Guess that's all for now. still have alot to get done in the next month but I'm staying positive it can be done.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:51 pm 

Enkie Compes for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:53 am 

Eric wrote:
Rota's please!

Italian wrote:
Enkie Compes for sure.

You guys are making this hard on me haha. I'm just worried the Enkeis have to much going on with the fins. I'm really stating to think the Enkeis look better on older Z's. I could always just throw some mesh wheels on and be done with it...but then it would look like every other Z31.

Think I've only seen one Z31 on a set of TE37s and that was overseas. Enkei Compes have alot in common with Wats and those are another style you see way to often on Z31's. Wanting to go with something you don't see often but still has a good clean look to it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:23 am 

Well, I guess an update is pretty overdue...

First off an explanation on my last update. We got everything together and for some reason the bushings I got from Nissan would not press in. The outer sleeves would compress and curl, or the whole bushing would try to press in at an angle. Couldn't just press them in by the bolt sleeve because that would have ruined the rubber bushing itself.

So with 4 brand new screwed up bushings we decided the best route was to check the local junkyard first thing Monday morning. We got lucky and he had exactly what we needed, wanted $100 for both control arms and while we thought that a bit high we were tired of fighting it and had run out of options. He was going to have them pulled for us before the weekend, I was going to go down and we would finish everything up....would've been great if something went as planned for once but it didn't.

Enter bad weather. Unending rain and rising creeks do not bode well for a junkyard...no parts. Come first of the week everything dried up enough that my parts were pulled. Polyurethane bushings went in with the new bolt sleeves from the now messed up new bushings I bought. Everything waited until I went down on Saturday...and that's where the real frustration began.

My ride came and picked me up and we got to work as soon as we got down there. First step was getting the control arms installed as well as finishing up installing the rear coilovers. Things were going good until I went to install the rear sway bar. Nuts were gone, they weren't anywhere to be found. Once I got back from the parts store with new nuts and washers in hand we finished everything up and I thought we were finally catching a break...wrong again.

Pulled her out of the shop for the first time in 4 months...she lives!

On the drive to the other shop to do the transmission I noticed weird sounds and a nasty vibration. Pulled over at the gas station and found one of the problems. Rear driver brake caliper was locked up. Decided to just drive to the shop since we were already half way there but we were switching drivers because I wanted a second opinion on the vibration and noises. Didn't get far before pulling over again, found the source of the vibration...front lug nuts were loose on both sides. Turns out we both thought the other had tightened the lug nuts down. Stupid mistake but no damage done. Made it to the shop and got it lifted into the air.

Snapped a quick picture of my cleaned up front suspension. Wheel wells will be getting a god scrub and fresh coat of under liner once I get some wheels ordered.

Got some parts set aside for the clutch job...

Remember me mentioning being really frustrated? Yeah this is were it started. Took us nearly 3 hours to pull the transmission because the muffler shops around here wont use clamps and instead opt for welding. I'm still not quite sure how we pulled the trans without removing the exhaust but we did. In the process we found that my drive shaft bolts were loose. We also found out that the previous owner had really screwed us over by lying to me about the car. Was told that he had installed a new clutch and everything looked great in that area. Pulled the clutch off to find that it was and old original Nissan clutch and the worst burnt and cracked flywheel I've ever seen.

Not the prettiest thing to see at 12 o'clock at night after you've been working since 11 that morning. I know I shouldn't' have trusted a previous owner but everything he told me seemed to line up with what it was doing when I bought the car and I just assumed I wore the clutch down a lot when my clutch master cylinder went out on me in traffic.

All said and done my flywheel is going out to be resurfaced today and make sure its ok. Once we get it back my girlfriends godfather is going to just reinstall everything and have it all done for me to just come and pick it up.

Sorry for the long post but I thought some of you might be interested in everything.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:24 pm 

It's been awhile since my last update but I finally have something worth showing. Parts finally came in..

Picked up a new antenna mast to replace my broken one.

Wheels and lugs came in. Wheels are Rota Grid Classic 16x8 +0 and Muteki lugs.

The holy grail I was waiting on, and was starting to think I would never see...

Got the chance to go down and install the flywheel on Friday. Had a hard enough time of it because the shop I had install my exhaust just welded it in. So we pulled the transmission and replaced everything and re-installed the transmission without ever taking the exhaust off.

Brand new Exedy clutch kit

Everything finally installed

So happy to have everything replaced and moving under it's own power again. Finished everything up late Friday night and started sanding the body down to repaint on Saturday. Finally got to lay paint Sunday night but rain moved in and ruined my drying time. Have to go pick the car up from my friends tonight.

I'm getting the wheels installed this week (shooting for tomorrow) and hopefully an alignment from where we had everything apart. It's looking like it'll be all set for the Z show at Nissan on Saturday.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:39 am 

Coming together man, keep it up!

Audioslave - Revelations

1982 RHD Toyota Carina Turbo
1988 RHD Nissan Fairlady Z 300ZX Turbo
1989 Volkswagen Cabriolet

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:07 am 

confused how rotas beat out enkeis as a choice.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:52 pm 

Thanks Gumbeaux.

Familycar, wheel decision wasn't easy. I really wanted the Enkei's but I hated that they had the "rally" fins on them. Had Enkei remade the Compe without the fins they would have won out hands down. Heck I would have taken a set of the Apache II or 92's over the Rota's IF they actually made them in the offset I was after.

I spent a lot of time searching for wheels I wouldn't have regrets on buying but just had no luck finding 16" wheels in 4x114. Had a lead on a set of Volk GTU's for $800 that would have required a small spacer to set them where I wanted them but when I went looking for the guys phone number to call him he had changed his price. Apparently powder coating them a ridiculous teal metalflake meant they where now worth $1800.

That's the same sort of problem I ran into constantly looking for wheels. Once I finally found wheels I wanted, at a reasonable price, there was always some major hangup. Offset was wrong, major curb rash that would require a new lip, etc. I'm not saying there weren't some good used wheels to choose from but I'm not paying $2,000 for used wheels that have been used and possibly abused for the past 20 to 30 years. Locally there isn't much of a market for good used wheels either.

That's why I settled on Rota's for now. I knew I would be happy with the look, the size and offset was exactly what I was after and there was no beating the price. I would love to run a set of "legit" wheels but I can't justify spending what I payed for the car just to re-barrel wheels to the size and offset I want when I can't find them.

Hope that puts the choice I made in a little perspective. This car nickle and dimed my funds so bad that I couldn't get some things done that I wanted to and am having to wait. I had to get new tires though, mine were so bad that I honestly didn't feel safe driving them more than I absolutely had to. I really didn't want to put new tires on the factory wheels because that would have, in my mind, just completely negated installing the coilovers. While they where chosen from a function standpoint, going lower was also for form.

This post is long enough so an update is incoming.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:50 pm 

Paint turned out great. Still haven't gotten to wet sand and buff the clear though. Had to spend the week before the Z show getting everything tweaked and set properly.

Turned out that my help had installed the coilovers wrong. Had to swap sides on the front and reset the spring pre-load. Somehow I had ended up with nearly an inch or pre-load at all four corners. Got that set as well as dropped it another inch. Couldn't go lower right now as I don't have a low jack and we have some pretty high speed bumps that I have to deal with regularly.

Installed new rear brake pads and did an oil change. Switched over to synthetic and the vg30 seems to love me for it. Couldn't get my new oil pressure sending unit installed, I think I need to get it on a lift for that because it's in such an awkward spot.

Enough talk, on to the pictures...

Before

...and after.

These are some pictures of the Lane Motor Museum the night before the Z show. The Lane is where Nissan North America is storing the Nissan heritage collection. It's usually closed to the public but we got a tour from some higher ups at Nissan.

Front parking was full so I had to park out back...I was in good company. The guys from Z1 showed up.

One of two GTP-ZX Turbos...

The original BRE championship 510 driven by John Morton.

GTP-ZX #2 Apparently this one is just a shell now.

This one was kind of a holy grail for me. Paul Newmans Planters Z31.

If I have the story straight, the black Z32 behind the Paul Newman car is the last Z32 to roll off the production line. Had another picture of me hanging out with a cardboard cutout of Mr. K but photobucket doesn't like it for some reason.

Apologies for the quality of the pictures. Left the good camera at home because I wasn't sure if we would be able to take pictures and didn't want to have to leave it in the car so I had to use my phone.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:08 pm 

Next day we went to Nissan's North America headquarters in Franklin, TN. They had rolled out some of the heritage collection to line the walkway to the building from the parking lot we were in.

First off is the Z31 line up.

Apparently this 240Z lives in my town and I've never seen it before...the more you know.

The heritage line up.

They have Mr. K's personal 260Z in the lobby. It even has a sunroof.

This is the whole show...

I'll end the pictures with this car. Nissan's '84 Anniversary Edition. 10,000 original miles.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:45 pm 

I know many of the Z31 owners whose cars were there. Great guys. They dumped a bunch of photos on our Z31 Performance forum.
The improvement is fantastic!

Audioslave - Revelations

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:55 pm 

Gumbeaux wrote:
The improvement is fantastic!

Thanks Gumbeaux! Didn't realize there was another Z31P member on here. Kimbro and I were the ones dumping the photos.

The Z still needs a lot of work for me to be happy with it. It'll hit the back burner for a little bit though. I have a 1957 Harley Davidson XL That needs some TLC to get it back on the road. Need to finish fabricating a seat, pick up a brake line and get a new carb for it. OK, non-japanese motorcycle stuff aside here's what still needs to get done to the Z.

Seal cracks around t-top drains
Make body seals for the sidemarkers
Fix/remove noisy heatshields
Recondition A/C system
Rebuild heater box and recondition controls.
Replace heater core (Might as well while it's all apart)
Re-dye interior panels with SEM Shadow Blue
Remove old carpet and sound deadener
Cut and weld new metal to repair floor pans.
Replace carpet and install new sound deadener
Install Thermal insulation on transmission tunnel
Replace headliner
Fiberglass TBO style rear spoiler

That seems daunting but having it all written down makes it seem more do-able. I still can't decide one way or the other on sideskirts and a front lip. I think it needs something though. It looks too...clean. Never thought I'd say that about a car I owned but that's pretty much how I'm feeling about it. Also considered fender flairs and some small spacers but I really don't want to cut up the body.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:39 pm 

Glad to see that Nissan North America Heritage Collection acknowledges that the RL411 does exist! If you look on the Nissan Corporate model line diagram the entire 411 series is missing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:53 pm 

Didn't realize that. Well Nissan has one in the heritage collection and somebody had one on a trailer for sale in the parking lot at the show. They definitely have to acknowledge the 411's existence.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:09 pm 

PJ will be coming to hang with us at Branson Z Fest. Are you attending?

Audioslave - Revelations

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:39 am 

Really want to but May is going to be a busy month for me. Hopefully I'll make it in 2015. Next big meet I plan on making is the Import Alliance Fall meet. Hopefully I'll have everything I want done, done by then.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:55 pm 

Well, I'm still live. Been busy between trying to get my bike running and keep my girlfriends Pontiac Grand Am from overheating. Those things have the worst cooling system I've ever seen. Cooling fans don't come on till 230°. Now it has a jacked up PCM because the fan grounding circuit is run through the PCM board. Luckily her Z is coming home this weekend and new valve stem seals and a wide assortment of tune up parts will be waiting for it.

I've mainly just been buying little things and tinkering with the Z. Picked up this sweatband from the Nissan plant in Smyrna, TN.

It makes a great master cylinder sock. Also picked up a blue tinted Broadway mirror. Don't like it so it's probably going to end up in the girlfriends Z if she wants it. It does it's job but it's not the super wide one so I still have to lean left or right to see out the quarter windows.

I also found this little guy chilling at the thrift shop. I remember these from when I as little so I had to grab it. Plus I liked his racing suit.

I started having trouble with my temp gauge as well. It always set at 120 no matter what. I thought maybe the 30 year old sensor had finally bit the dust so I picked up a replacement. It definitely needed one.

Even after I swapped them out though I'm still having problems with the gauge. I know these gauges aren't extremely accurate, and will usually only indicate cold, warm and hot, but showing 120° as operating temp tells me somethings wrong somewhere. Going to check connections and make sure the wiring isn't broken or corroded.

That's where it sat while I verified it with an infrared thermometer.

170° on various engine parts (manifold cover plate, valve covers, etc.)
180° on radiator hoses and water neck coming from the block
190° on the Coolant temp sensor itself as well as all around the lower intake manifold.

Also threw on the new OEM cap and rotor button I've had sitting around. Rough idle is gone along with a smother throttle response...wonder why.

Cap was worse off than the rotor button. Inside of the distributor was pretty nasty as well. So that all got cleaned up before re-assembly.

Engine bay is finally starting to look cleaner. Still need to pull some parts and clean the rust off and repaint but it's getting there.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:07 pm 

Looks great with the new wheels. :tu: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:26 pm 

john wrote:
Looks great with the new wheels. :tu: :mrgreen:

Thanks John!

Sorry it's been so long everyone, a lot has happened recently. I got engaged in August and then we had nothing but car troubles. Her car finally gave up the ghost. Got loaned a truck and ran through two sets of tires in it and then the Z went down (more on that next). All that happened in the span of a month.

So I've been driving the fiance to work and one day I noticed a burning rubber smell and a strange whining noise. Couldn't track it down at first, turned out I had a couple of problems at once. I stripped the front of the motor to check the timing belt but it was fine. Noticed some slight play developing in the water pump so I went ahead and replaced that and the noise got better.

I snapped this pick while I was checking everything and just thought it looked really cool. I replaced all the bolts for the water pump pulley with stainless bolts to eliminate the mis-matched bolts we used when we installed the e-fans.

After test driving the car to see if the problem was simply from the water pump I noticed something off with the driver side front wheel. It was pretty obvious something was wrong with my suspension but it hadn't been like that before.

I pulled the wheel off and found this...

Pretty obvious that that was the burning rubber smell I noticed. Somehow the locking collars came loose and the coilover unthreaded from the lower sleeve. I'm assuming the damage came from hitting a bump with it unthreaded because the welds on the base of the sleeve were broken on one side and the whole assembly was bent a few degrees. Hammered it back straight and re-welded it. It's been fine since then.

Yesterday I got the oil changed. I was at around 3500 miles on synthetic. Replaced it with some Mobile 1 5w30 since winter is coming up and finally got my oil pressure sending unit replaced. It hasn't worked since I've had the car. It's nice knowing that I have pressure. I was getting worried because I noticed a strange ticking one day that went away after driving it home. Haven't heard it since but I wanted to make sure and get the sending unit installed for peace of mind.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 39 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2