#
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:44 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: G32B Head question
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:48 am 

I have 2 G32B cylinder heads from a 80 FWD COLT and the only apparant difference is one has a grove on the underside that looks to do nothing. The other head is solid on the underside. They take the same head gasket and seems that the gasket just covers the grove.

Is the grove there for some reason? Will the heads interchange? I can't see why not. Why the difference?

Here's a pic of the grove. It's the long grove at the top of the pic and runs the length of the head.

Thanks SOOO much.

Todd Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:25 am 

i'm having troubles with this too, currently i'm working on a 4g32 that lost most of its camshaft bearing cap's threads, since theres no more room to hand tap threads in it i figured i just replace the whole cylinder head, so i have one of those g32b heads lying around and found out the difference, as what you've said the gasket may just cover the grove on that g32b head but the problem is the 4g32 engine block isnt that wide to cover it up, i havent seen a g32b block in a while but maybe its wider than the 4g32 block, if theres anything that could interchange maybe it would be just the 4g32 head will fit the g32b block but not the g32b head to the 4g32 block, i dont know yet, correct me if i'm wrong, right now i'm just gonna find the same 4g32 head to replace it 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:11 pm 

I guess you must be correct in that the G32B head has the groove and the 4G32 head does not. I going to assume that the 4G32 head will interchange with the G32B block. I did not know that the block on the 4G32 was more narrow.....that's interesting.

Is the groove the only difference between the different heads? It would appear that way.

I'm new to Mitsus and have been a Subaru guy for many years. It's tough to not know all the ins and outs!

Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:25 pm 

and i forgot, the g32b head had those tiny intake valves but the 4g32 head i'm working on doesnt which means it also had a different intake rocker arms

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:41 pm 

Now both my heads, (with the grove and the one without), have the exact same valves and rockers.

Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:14 pm 

well, the 4g32 one i'm working on doesnt, must be for EGR equipped engines, the 4g32 here dont have EGRs, i'm not sure what for are those tiny valves

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]