#
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:44 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 11 of 20   [ 381 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 20  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:23 pm 

Eric wrote:
these wheel cilinders dont look special to me, just stop at any car parts store and i am pretty sure they can help you with something new that fits and does the same job.

I agree, just drop by and buy any kind of cylinders at the same size.
You may need to adjust or make new holes for mount the new cylinder to fit in

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:27 pm 

I love this thread. It's inspiring to see you bringing this car back to life, piece by piece.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:27 am 
JNC Fanatic

Your best bet will probably being a shop that specializs int hats tuff. They can most likely fix the broken bleeder too. I find that sometimes, it's jsut easier to have someone who does it for a living do it rather than run back and froth trying different things yourself. I will be going through the same stuff witht he deb. You could try a helicoil or a timecert. The timecert is a piece that requires a much larger thread be drilled n tapped, while the helicoil requires a smaller hole and tap. I'm not sure how well a helicoil will work on a brake piston though.

87 Montero swb turbo, 1987 Minicab van Supercharged
86 mighty max 4x4
84, 85, and 86 lancer ex1800 turbo
78 lancer
73 galant coupe
65 Debonair Deluxe
80's Hero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:42 am 

Thanks everyone for the comments!

I keep breaking the brakes (heh) and so I decided to take a few days off so I wouldn't break anything more, haha. Of course, I can never actually take a few days off. I ended up going to a shop around here that specializes in Lotus' and Mini Coopers to talk to them about tires. Since I needed 10 inch tires and tubes I figured guys who specialize in original Minis would be the best ones to talk to. They have 5 new tires and tubes on order for me and will mount them as soon as they get them.

I also needed to take the soft lines off because they weren't flowing any fluid. So after about 30 minutes of trying to be really careful this finally happened:

Youch. I have a flaring tool to re-flare the pipe and i think with a little creative bending I can get it to work without having to remake a new pipe. I didn't lose much, just about an inch worth of pipe.

But, that enabled me to get the soft lines off. These are most likely the original lines from 1967. As such, they are toast. I tried cleaning the insides with brake clean, I tried soaking them for 4 days, I tried running a thin piece of wire through them, these things are seriously toast. Nothing is going through these. Its almost like the inside of the hose has swollen so much that it has effectively closed the passage.

So, I sent them off to get new ones made from scratch (my wallet is already crying, haha). They were the craziest lines I've ever seen though. Banjo fitting on one end and then this crazy threaded piece at the other. The inside threads are for the compression fitting and the outside threads are for holding the line in place. It slides through a hole and a giant nut tightens down on it keeping it from moving. Wicked!

So I took a few days off and then got started on the carpet. This stuff is just some cut to fit stuff that I picked up at the local JMS (kind of like Autobacs only with useful things in stock). I put new rubber grommets in all the holes in the floor board (6 per side) and the black squares are Velcro.

The fit isn't perfect, but I think it'll get the job done nicely.

Driver side.

From the back.

Thank you all again so much for your suggestions and inspiration, this car would honestly not be nearly as far along without all your support!
I hope to have her ready to drive and get registered within a few weeks!

Thank you guys again so much,
Cheers
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:57 am 

Good progress!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for the mirrors for you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:49 am 

Dave been working on the car.

He is no longer working tirelessly...

(Sorry for the poor picture quality!)

Edit: blew the margins!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:25 am 

She's made some interesting progress, haha.
I ordered new bits for the brake lines, but when they got here, the thread pitch on the bit that connects the soft line to the hard line was wrong so I had to send them back. So, still waiting on brake parts, haha. In the meantime, I decided to get to work on the interior!

First order of business was the door panels. They were clearly not in good shape, haha.

So I went to the local home center and bought some black corrugated plastic and using the remnants of one the original door panels (fortunately left and right are mirror images) I cut it to shape. Then a quick trip to JMS and I got 3 sheets of 140cm x 130cm black leather seat cover stuff. A little cutting and gluing (that should be read as a lot of cutting and gluing, haha) and we have this!

Passenger door.

Rear side panels.

With the side panels in, it was time to get the seats cleaned up, together and installed. First things first though, had to paint the seat frames.

With those painted, I just hit the passenger vinyl with some simple green (everything will get a good hit with armor all once I get done getting in and out of the car in my dirty shop clothes) and then popped them in! I think it looks pretty good, especially considering it's 43 years old!

The driver side was a bit more difficult though, as it had a huge tear in it. Check it out.

So, I fashioned a make shift cover out of some spare black leather from the door panels and some zip ties. (The seats, front and rear, will eventually all get professionally recovered, but I think this will suffice for now).

Doesn't look too bad in the car.

In the middle of all that interior fun, my tires showed up (as my buddy already posted a pic, haha)! Properly sized, bias ply, yokohoma tires! These things look old even though they're brand new, haha.

The markings on the tires.

Then my brake parts arrived. The connector that goes from the stainless line to the hard line has the wrong thread pitch for the hard line, so those went back today for the proper ones.

So, since I had new parts, I got curious as to why the old lines wouldn't work, so I cut one open to have a look at the inside. It looks like the rubber just swelled up so much that it closed up the passage. Pretty crazy!

Then today, I got to work on the back seat. Got the vinyl on the base plates, painted the hinges and installed the whole thing. The vinyl has a few cuts and tears on it, but for the most part it's not terrible.

From the back.

The whole thing then folds flat and tumbles forward to sit flush against the back of the front seats, opening up the entire trunk.

And that's where I'm at! The only things really left to do are the brakes, reverse light (the existing one has turned to rust), and the heater pipes (plus a few other odds and ends)!

Thanks everyone again for all the support and inspiration!
Will keep you all updated, plan on driving it for the first time by next weekend!
Cheers
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:32 am 

very cool,....she is pretty!!
on the last picture, i saw you have installed the fender mirror !!!
Have you modified it with motorcycle mirror, or just put it on the way it is?
curious...... and seems that you have forgotte\n to tell me their story :P :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:32 pm 

Awesome rescue! Maybe you can race this 360 >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKcUcfZKLJ8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:33 am 

Thanks for the comments! I've seen tons of Subaru 360s, but not sure if I've ever seen one that looks like the one in that video, G, haha. I'm a bit more partial to the Subaru R2 though. Although, I really want a Suzuki Fronte with a YZF-R6 engine in the back, haha.

First things first, I've been featured on http://mitsubishi.gearboxmagazine.com/ !!
Awesome!

Be sure to go check it out, I did a bit of interview for the website. Was a lot of fun and the guy who runs the site is pretty awesome!
Direct link to my interview: http://mitsubishi.gearboxmagazine.com/2 ... bishi-360/

rayzz wrote:
very cool,....she is pretty!!
on the last picture, i saw you have installed the fender mirror !!!
Have you modified it with motorcycle mirror, or just put it on the way it is?
curious...... and seems that you have forgotte\n to tell me their story :P :P

You're absolutely right! I completely forgot about the mirrors, haha. The original mirror stalks were still usable but the glass and backing was completely broken on one and had turned entirely to rust on the other. After some searching, and some more searching, and a little begging, I was still coming up empty handed. So, I had to make something work. I went to a classic car show in Toyota last weekend (expect pictures from that soon!) and picked up some fender mirrors for a classic Mazda something.

The reason I picked these particular ones is because the mirror backing and the stalk are connected with three screws. So you can take the stalk off without having to remove the glass from the backing. So after some messing around with screws, nuts and washers I finally got the mirrors together. They're nonadjustable, but the glass itself is a bit bigger than the original and the mirrors are parabolic, so visibility isn't a problem at all! They don't look too bad either!

There is a bolt with the head facing the glass and a nut tightening it down to the circular piece that the three screws go through. That piece is then screwed onto the glass and then the whole unit is screwed into the stalk. Took me a couple of hours to figure out a combination that would work, but I'm pleased, haha.

From the inside.

Thanks again for all the comments guys, and again, be sure to check out my interview at http://mitsubishi.gearboxmagazine.com/ !

Cheers
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:26 pm 

Great interview and nice updates on my favorite Mitsubishi. It's really looking great now. Really looking forward to see videoes of the car running on the road. Now I'm off to start looking for local appartments with downstairs garage. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:54 am 
Mild Cam

David, great progress so far! Have you thought about painting the bumpers body colour? I think it'd look better than the silver paint.

1988 Mazda RX-7
Ex-JNCs: 1980 Datsun 510, 1979 Mazda RX-7, 1986 Mazda RX-7, 1992 Mazda Miata

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:45 pm 

Camshaft wrote:
David, great progress so far! Have you thought about painting the bumpers body colour? I think it'd look better than the silver paint.

I thought about several colors when I repainted the bumpers. The reason I've gone with that particular shade of silver was that I wanted the toughest paint I could get my hands on, which ended up being Zinc Rich paint. Used an entire can per bumper and that paint is tough as hell, haha. Hopefully, rock chips and genera wear and tear will be kept at bay by it.

cat0 wrote:
Great interview and nice updates on my favorite Mitsubishi. It's really looking great now. Really looking forward to see videoes of the car running on the road. Now I'm off to start looking for local appartments with downstairs garage. :)

Thanks for the comments! It's turning out to look better than I thought it would, haha. I got really lucky finding this apartment, only found it because I bought my Skyline and it turned out the apartment next to the guy I bought ti from was open, even though it wasn't advertised anywhere!

Oh, and check the post below from some videos!

Cheers
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:59 pm 

Thanks again everyone for the inspiration and motivation!
My brake parts came in yesterday, so I got to work! I'll let the pictures do most of the talking.

Here's the two brake lines together and ready to be installed. I find it kind of funny that I'm running stainless steel performance brake lines on a car with a top speed less than 100 kph, haha.

I had to re-flare the pipe as it had broken before. Second time flaring a pipe, didn't turn out too bad!

It's not perfect and it actually leaked a little at first, but after some serious tightening down the metal shaped itself to the right shape and the leaking stopped!

New bearings in the front.

Hard to see, but the line is now installed.

Back on all fours!

So I promptly jumped in and took her for a spin! She drove great! Check below for youtube videos. Here are some pictures of her between drives sitting out front. The wheel chocks are being used because the button on the e-brake lever gets stuck in sometimes (need to figure that out, haha).

This is literally the first drive. Got me backing out and taking it for a short spin in the parking lot next door.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvpQBBYNtws

Another video of me taking it down the street (this video was taken by my friend with his iPhone).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWazgsuOyEM

And finally, a ride along!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1npNiASrUE

She drives pretty good. The engine has lots of low end punch but as soon as the revs get up it stumbles and power drops off pretty severely. It's smoking quite a lot too so could be a couple of things, but figuring those out will be fun, haha. Need to get a temp tag on it to work out the bugs and then send it off for inspection!
I'm so excited, haha.

Thanks again everyone for everything!
Cheers
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:31 am 
JNC Fanatic

awesome man. Enjoy the car! You deserve it.

87 Montero swb turbo, 1987 Minicab van Supercharged
86 mighty max 4x4
84, 85, and 86 lancer ex1800 turbo
78 lancer
73 galant coupe
65 Debonair Deluxe
80's Hero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:35 am 

city hunter wrote:
awesome man. Enjoy the car! You deserve it.

+1

:tu::D It's so cool!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:26 am 

Haha, some guy jumped out of your way when you were flying down that alley.

Great work!!

-Robert

My Build/Pic thread

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:25 am 
Mild Cam

Amazing! Just what I needed at work on a busy Sunday. Great job, David! :tu:

1988 Mazda RX-7
Ex-JNCs: 1980 Datsun 510, 1979 Mazda RX-7, 1986 Mazda RX-7, 1992 Mazda Miata

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:39 am 

Congratulations on finishing and getting it up and running. It 's been really great following your thread and watching this thing come along.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:41 am 

cat0 wrote:

coool!!! :o :o :o
I noticed that color at the bonnet and suicide door is a little bit darker than the rest side. is it because of the camera effect? i didnt notice it when the car was still inside...
but it noticeable in outdoor..

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 11 of 20   [ 381 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 20  Next