Alrighty, we had a three day weekend this weekend so I got out there and tried to get as much done as I could!
Here's a quick shot of the hardware used to hold the rear gate up.
Here's the linkages inside of the rear door that operate the two latches on the side and the one latch on top that locks the top hatch glass in place.
The striker for the top hatch glass.
Got the license plate light cleaned up and installed. This thing is properly bright, haha!
Installed the metal cover for the rear hatch. Looks pretty good, I like the fact that the humps in the floor of the trunk continue onto the rear hatch.
Then I decided it was time to install the master cylinder. So, first things first, I got the master cylinder reservoir installed to the fuel tank.
And then I got the master cylinder installed.
And since the master cylinder was installed, it meant I could finally get my third pedal in. She's that much closer to becoming a complete car!
It was time to put her up on stands and pull off the wheels so I could start on getting the brakes and bearings squared away. Here's a shot of the four wheels pulled off and stacked up. Also in the shot is my little praying mantis buddy, he's been hanging around the garage for about a month now.
Here's the tires stacked up next to 5 tires for the Hakosuka. The size difference is insane!
And a better shot of my buddy, haha.
A shot of the front brakes and suspension. This car continues to amaze me with it's simplicity!
A shot of the rear.
Here's a shot of the rear with the drum pulled off.
And the bearings knocked out of the drum. The bearings are just generic rubber sealed bearings. Should be less than 20 bucks for new bearings all around!
While I was mucking with the brakes I took a little break (heh), and painted up the Mitsubishi 360 fender emblems.
Here they are drying.
I also needed to sit down for a bit, so I decided to polish up the aluminum door sill pieces. After some sandpaper and metal polish they came out looking pretty good!
Then I got side tracked by the glass. I finally received a new driver door glass and it was time to get new runners (or whatever they're called, haha) at the bottom squared away. We ordered these runners from the Toyota parts house for about 9 bucks a piece. The original is pictured up top and there is one very clear problem here. The original runner is much bigger, so the part where the regulator slides around in on the Toyota version needed to be widened.
So to widen these, out came the angle grinder. This 14$ angle grinder has become the most indispensable tool in my entire arsenal, haha!
Then it was off to my buddies place to borrow the welder (if it weren't free I would never use a non gas shielded welder). The pieces came out looking like they were welded by a first timer, but after some grinding and paint they didn't look so bad.
Then the glass company came by to put my side window in. Before they left though, I had them urethane on my runners. These things aint going anywhere!
I then installed the glass, regulators and glass runs. The homemade runners work like a charm!
From the outside.
Here's the passenger side. The door glass is half open and you can see both pieces successfully installed into the rear quarter. They had quite a hard time installing the rear piece, but they didn't break anything and did an amazing job!
I was having a serious problem with my rear bumper. The paint shop painted it with some weak stuff or something, because after sitting up to dry for about a month now it was still exceedingly weak. I could smudge the paint just by touching it and a light touch with a fingernail put a scratch in it. So, I decided to check if it was just the rear that was having this problem and ran my fingernail lightly along the front bumper. It left a deep scratch like I had hit it with a screwdriver. This type of weakness is clearly unacceptable for a bumper. Needless to say, I wasn't pleased. So I sanded both bumpers down to the point that I was getting to something nice and strong (wouldn't scratch just by looking at it). Then I bought some silver paint called "Zinc Rich Paint." I used an entire can for each bumper and I think they turned out really well! I'm going to let them fully dry for about a week and then install them. They already seem much more durable than whatever the paint shop did.
Then I decided to install a modern piece to my 43 year old beast. I picked up these Cibie lights from Classic Car Nagoya the other day They're shaped like normal sealed beams only the back cracks open and takes standard H4 headlights. I think they look pretty sharp!
The light these things put out is phenomenal! I checked the voltage and on hi-beams it draws no more power than standard sealed beams. No telling if there will be any long term problems though.
I happen to really like this picture, haha.
And that's all for now!
Thanks again everyone for all the inspiration!