#
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:04 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 9 of 20   [ 381 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 20  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:28 pm 

Choice man. Reading this reminds me of my Daihatsu 360. Makes me want to finish it instead of sell it... :?

...Just for comparisons sake; ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNihIkaJiRw

Are you sure the oil pump mechanism is working on the engine? I realise the engines are completely different but there's a linkage on mine between carb and oil pump so when you accelerate it delivers more oil. I ran pre-mix on mine despite the oil pump working, just to be safe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:25 pm 

I just found this thread for the first time. That is one of the coolest cars I've ever seen..... and....... great work on the thread and detailing progress. The 360 has come a long way in a short time. Well done. I am now a thread subscriber! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:59 pm 

Thanks for all the comments! And thanks Chobis, I'm having a lot of fun with this, I'm happy I have a place to share it!

Oh, and Kyteler, that Daihatsu is awesome! You gotta keep it and get it back in the game! Not enough 2 stroke cars around, haha.

I got some more work done last weekend (not much as my job has been 14 hour days everyday and that's starting to wear me down, haha).

The biggest thing I got done was I got the oil injection working. I thought I had to bleed all lines (input and output) and the pump before it would work right. However, I got fed up with that, put it back together, bled the pump and input line and figured I would let the pump sort out the output lines. Sure enough after some idling it did and now the oil injection works great!

I also got the cooling shroud painted and modified the original wires to work. The original wires were resistor wires, only since this is the 60's, the resistor was housed in a long piece of black plastic in the middle of the wire that was removable. So I took it out and put in an NGK splice thing. Dropped the resistance of the wire to 0 ohms, but since the plugs are resistor plugs I think it should be alright.

A picture of the cooling shroud from the front.

Close up shot of the wires (you can see the NGK splice thing on the right side of the photo).

A wider shot from the top. I think it looks pretty good!

And finally, I took another video of the engine giving it a few quick revs! Gotta warn you again, I talk at the camera, haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrAOg-JMalY

Well, back for another 0730 to 2100 shift at work! (The overtime means I'll be able to buy some nice goodies, haha).

Thanks again for all the comments and support!
Cheers
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:39 pm 

You know I log on here each day to see if there are updates on this build and I gotta say this leaves me astounded every time.

You've worked relentlessly on her and the resto has moved so fast as a result. It's fantastic that with such a rate you have still maintained such a high quality of work and attention to detail.

If I was workin' on Mitsu's over there instead of over here lol. I'd love to come home to a project with this much Nostalgia :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu:

Loved reading the blog too, sorry to sound like a groupy lol. Oh and that little blue sunny fronted Dat from Nagoya, it's a 120Y. Incidentally my van came from Nagoya :D

'85 Honda Civic Gold DX with Brown Top
'79 Mitsubishi Celeste GSR
'78 Mitsubishi Sigma GE
'74 Datsun Laurel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:59 am 

drive-by wrote:
You know I log on here each day to see if there are updates on this build and I gotta say this leaves me astounded every time.

You've worked relentlessly on her and the resto has moved so fast as a result. It's fantastic that with such a rate you have still maintained such a high quality of work and attention to detail.

If I was workin' on Mitsu's over there instead of over here lol. I'd love to come home to a project with this much Nostalgia :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu:

Loved reading the blog too, sorry to sound like a groupy lol. Oh and that little blue sunny fronted Dat from Nagoya, it's a 120Y. Incidentally my van came from Nagoya :D

Thank you so much for the kind words! I think I'm even blushing a little, haha. There's actually a lot of little areas on the car I'm not 100% pleased with, but I gotta keep reminding myself that this is going to be a daily driver, not a show car. The hardest part I've run into so far is trying to bring 43 year old vinyl back to life (check below to see what I mean).

Speaking of Mitsus, you happen to own one of my dream Mitsubishis. Someday I'll own a Starion, those things are just awesome! Although, I don't know how long I'll be able to keep myself from trying to stuff a 4wd setup from a Pajero under there to create a Starion rally replica, haha.

Although, I gotta admit, the Celeste is also a pretty sharp looking car too!

Anyways, thanks again for the comment and inspiration!
Cheers
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:16 am 

Alrighty, jumped back out there and got some more work done this weekend (about time, working 14 hour days at the job means there's no time to work on the car when I get home, haha).

Got the front lower trim piece on. It covers up my painted centerpiece on the fan, but you can barely see it lingering back there. I actually really like how that turned out, haha.

This is one of those things I should have taken care of before paint, but forgot about. The headlights mount to three studs that stick out. Well two of the studs broke off short from the rust. So my buddy and I busted out the vice grips and broke them off as close as possible.

I then pulled out my drill and drilled them out. The one on the left side proved to be a huge pain when drilling out and the drill got away from me, scratching the paint! Fortunately it's in a place you can't really see. I then just ran a bolt from the back side through then tightened it down. The one on the right drilled out just fine, but I couldn't get a bolt in from the back side, there wasn't enough room. So I ground off the head of a long bolt, slipped it through the from the front, put two jam nuts on the back side and then tightened it down. Worked like a charm and now I have two brand new studs!

Then I got tired of looking at the inside of the car with nothing in it. So I figured I'd try my hand at bringing really old and beat up vinyl back to life. You can see on the bottom right that it's pretty torn up, lots of little cuts and what not. There isn't a whole lot I could do about that, so I figured if I just cleaned it up real nice that it might look halfway decent.

So the first thing I did was flip it over and pull out all the rusty useless interior staples they used originally. Then I cleaned and glued all the vinyl that wraps around down. Flipped it back over and hit it with some Armor All.

Doesn't look terrible, but I think it could look a lot better. I may pull it off in the future and get it recovered, but part of me just thinks it's cool to have the original vinyl from 1967 still in the car.

Installed in the car with new screws holding it in.
In the bottom right you can see the area that was pretty torn up. We'll see how long I leave it like that before I go insane and pull it out to get it recovered, haha.

That's all for now, I'll be back out there tomorrow reviving the passenger side panel, haha.
Thanks again everyone for all the comments and inspiration!
Cheers
David

Post subject: Wires
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:19 am 

I love seeing 1967 on those wires...

Good job saving them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:59 am 

Thanks for the comment Tom! It's been a blast taking pictures every step of the way (and quite useful when putting things back together, haha). This is actually my first restoration project, so I'm really excited every time I get something done, haha.

Quick little update. Some good news and bad news. The bad news is that the one interior panel I brought back to life was actually the one that was in the best shape. The others were quite a bit worse. I tried to bring one back, but it just didn't look good enough. So I'm going to use the Vinyl and wood as templates to make new panels. Now I just gotta find some vinyl that looks similar.

Here's how the panel looked when I started.

And after some efforts to put the vinyl back in place and glue it down. It just doesn't look good enough. Too many tears and too many uneven spots. So, the hunt for new vinyl starts, haha!

Now for the good news. I took the carb completely apart and cleaned it thoroughly. Now she idles like a champ! Runs smooth and sounds so much better!

Taken apart.

The pieces. There really isn't much to this thing at all!

So, I slapped it back on, hooked everything up and decided to put the air cleaner on. The hose that connects the two had some cuts in it, so last night I filled the cuts with black silicone and let it dry overnight and all day today. Felt plenty strong and should be water proof as well!

Air cleaner in the engine bay.

Close up of the carb and the tube that connects the carb and filter. The small black hose coming in is the fuel hose and the pink hose is a fuel vent line for the bowl.

Another shot.

And one more of the engine bay from the side.

Things are coming together nicely in the engine bay! Let's hope I can keep up the momentum for the rest of the car.

Thanks everyone for the support!
Cheers
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:11 am 

NICE!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:57 am 

The light blue air cleaner provides a nice contrast with the creamy white and black! Looks great.
It's great to see this project evolving. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:19 am 

It looks absolutely awesome and I really look forward to seeing some finished interior shots. Looks like a rather simple job getting those interior panels re-trimmed?
Great work, I'm hoping for a update this weekend. Checking this thread every day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:24 am 

Thanks for the comments guys!
Good news cat0, got some of the interior finished this weekend!

So I got back out there and decided it was time to get the parcel tray in. The old parcel tray was a simple steel beam that ran from side to side and a piece of peg board that ran from the beam to the firewall. So I went to find some pegboard, but all I could find was some peg...wood. Thicker, stronger and has bigger holes spaced further apart, but to be honest, it worked out really well!

Here's a picture of the peg wood. I set the old piece on top and then sprayed the edges with spray paint to get me my template shape.

Then my buddy and I busted out the grinder with a metal cutoff disc (caveman style baby!) and got to work cutting. It worked surprisingly well and went really fast!

Took a quick break from the cutting to paint the steel cross beam.

Then painted the peg wood.

While those dried I put on my new battery tie down. This worked unbelievably well. It's just the generic battery tie down for like 18 bucks from the local home center (these stores carry everything form power tools to dog food to sheets of wood, pretty awesome stores). We cut the J-bolts short so they would fit under the hood and then just tied it down, worked like a charm!

Bolted the parcel tray together, then bolted it into the car!

Then I threw in the radio for good measure.

Looking at the radio meant I had to put the speaker in as well. And since I was painting the speaker cover I though I might as well go ahead and paint and install the heater control. Everything turned out really well and I'm really pleased with how the dash is turning out!

Next up, floor mats and seats!
Also, what do you guys think, should I paint the e-brake handle the same blue that the parcel shelf, radio and heater controls are? I think it would break up the sea of white really nicely but that's a big trigger to pull, haha.
Thanks again everyone!
Cheers
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:19 am 

Beautiful job on the little car so far. It looks great and you're doing it the justice that it deserves. :tu::D!!

If you do paint the emergency brake handle, I think that it should be painted black to match the foot brake and accelerator pedals. If it's blue, I think it'll look odd & stand out too much once the seats and floor mats are in. Just my .02 --- do whatever you think will look best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:11 am 
JNC Fanatic

Man I love this project. I was just combing over it again today to get some ideas on how to approach the deb. I'm thinking I am going to go with you on the angle grinder witht he cup and then send it out for blasting. Finding reputable shops is such a chore though,

When do we see video of this baby driving?

btw I love the sound of that engine. Gonna be a real head turner when that thing comes rollng by like a bunch of angry bees

86 mighty max 4x4
84, 85, and 86 lancer ex1800 turbo
78 lancer
65 Debonair Deluxe
80's Hero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:17 pm 

The fact that I just discovered this thread proves I've been away from this forum for too long. Love the car, love the build. It's looking fabulous so far.

I hope that when it's done, you take it by the shop you bought it from, just to show them you did right by the car. If they see all the hard work you put into it, it might make more shops willing to deal with gaijin when it comes time to buy old tin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:01 am 

This thread took me about 4 hours of straight reading, awesome build mate. :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:46 am 

I was singing your praises to Tony from Global Automotive Connection at the weekend David.

He was doing a photoshoot on my HiAce and as we talked about the best of Japan and naturally your 360 came up in conversation :D

Can't wait to see her on the road, great work.

'85 Honda Civic Gold DX with Brown Top
'79 Mitsubishi Celeste GSR
'78 Mitsubishi Sigma GE
'74 Datsun Laurel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:37 am 

Vintage bike handle-bar wrap (perforated tan leather...) for the handbrake lever. :tu:

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:14 am 

Thanks so much for the comments everyone! I can't believe this little car has garnered as much attention as it has, haha.

IH8, I was thinking of something like that, but then I saw a picture on this website (http://www2.plala.or.jp/Kinoko/cars/LT/det.html) and that guy has something wrapped around his handbrake handle. Not so sure how I feel about it. The seats may also provide enough of a contrast in color that the white turns out to look pretty good. Although, like FireArrow suggested I may end up matching it with the pedals, haha.

That's pretty flattering drive-by! I don't know what to say, other than thanks for thinking it's one of the best of Japan, haha!

Thanks for the comments city hunter, I'm going to be keeping a real close eye on your Debonair project as well!

Thanks again for all the support guys!
Check below for an update!

Cheers
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:59 am 

Alright, Monday was respect for the elder day here, so we had a three day weekend this weekend! So, naturally, I got out there and got some serious work done, haha!

The first thing I tackled was the little safety handle that bolts to the dash. Originally it was a wire frame, with a plastic handle covering the frame. The frame stuck through two holes in the dash and nuts held it on. Well, the plastic had long since deteriorated and after searching for a while for a new handle I got to thinking that maybe I could clean up and just use the handle frame.
I'd need something on the front side of the handle so that the nuts on the back could pull down tight. At first I used a set of nuts on the front and back, but the shiny silver and hex shape really bothered me. So, I went to the store, bought some M6 Allen head bolts, cut off the top, drilled them out and tapped them. They threaded on no problem and once painted white I think the handle ended up looking pretty good!

ToyGuy gets credit for this. He spent quite some time polishing the front grill up while I was running around working on other stuff. I think he did a great job and it looks pretty sharp bolted on!

Those triple carbs keep screaming "Me next!" every time I look at them, haha. Oh, the grill looks pretty nice too!

These two covers are the transmission tunnel covers that cover up the shift linkage and the speedometer cable (can't access the speedo cable from the bottom, haha). This is what they looked like when I started.

Hanging out to dry after cleaning up and painting.

While those dried I got to work cleaning up one of the aluminum trim pieces for the bottom of the door sill. These things had quite a lot of corrosion. The one on top I hadn't started yet and you can see how gross they were, haha. The bottom one is after a couple of hours with a wire brush, carb cleaner, oven cleaner, a scoth brite scrubber and finally some aluminum polish, haha.

Installed on the car.

By this time the two covers for the trans tunnel were dry so I went ahead and bolted them down.

ToyGuy came over again and helped me bolt the hood on (it was kind of in the way and I was afraid I'd drop something on it, haha).

One of my headlight mounts was clearly losing the battle against rust as one mount had completely rusted off. I'd been searching for a new one online since i found out (for about 5 months now) with no avail. Finally, we swung by Classic Car Nagoya and they happened to have a very clean one in the shop! They only had one though, haha.

So here's the nice one holding my Koito sealed beam on the passenger side.

I then cleaned up the one that wasn't dead, sprayed some clear paint on it to hopefully slow the rust down when it decides to come back, and bolted it onto the driver side. It should be noted that the driver side headlight is actually a Stanley sealed beam (which is why they have a different color). I'm fairly certain though that the Stanley light is the original light form 1967. The Koito one is obviously a replacement. Some day I'll hunt down another matching Koito and put it in place.
At any rate, she's starting to look like a car again!

Next I spent some time cleaning up the aluminum trim and bolted it to the front fender. Then I mounted the antenna (although in these pictures I got the mount slightly wrong, it has since been fixed, haha) and bolted the front fender on.

Then I cleaned up the headlight surrounds and put those on as well.

Put the driver side headlight surround on along with the driver front fender.

Now she's really starting to look good. I love that blue air filter box peeking out from behind the grill.

I then got sick of digging through a cardboard box to find the hardware I needed to install something. So I sorted it all out. Not bad considering that's all brand new hardware. Not a single used bolt nut or washer floating around in there, haha.

Cleaned up and bolted on the rear trim.

Then I installed the final trim coverings around the front. I still need to bolt on the one for the hood, but aside from the front bumper and turn signals, the front end is pretty much complete!

Since the paint shop still has all my chrome (I'm really not happy about that, it should not take 3 months to get something chromed, especially when you quoted 4 weeks...) I decided to get to work on the brakes.
So the first step was dismantling the brake master cylinder and linkage and getting it all cleaned up and replacing anything that needs to be replaced.
You can see the linkage on the right side of the master cylinder. That whole area was packed full of what I assume to be 40 year old grease. The stuff was disgusting to say the least, haha.

Pulling it apart resulted in the most foul smelling disgusting brown goo coming out as well. I'm glad I took it apart, I don't want that stuff floating around in my brake system, haha.

Here it is completely dismantled. All the rubber looks acceptable actually, which is quite surprising! I think just a solid cleaning and carefully putting it back together and it'll be a-ok! The only thing that broke was the one snap ring that holds in the piston. I'm sure I can find another one of those though.

And that was about where I ran out of steam and decided to call it a night, haha. Was a very productive weekend though!
Thanks again everyone for all the inspiration and comments, it has been really motivating to hear all the good replies!
Cheers
David

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 9 of 20   [ 381 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 20  Next