#
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:19 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
 Post subject: Mitsubishi Works Cam #4 (56k warn!!)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:36 pm 

Hi Guys,

Just to share some pics of my new Toy :twisted:
Reposting my Threads from the 1stGenLancer forum :mrgreen:

I finally have it!! Original Mitsu. Works Cam #4

Finally completed all the parts I needed to install the Cam 4!!!

First thing in the morning after work I found myself in Mascardo st. ... You know you've found SMT when you see the VW Campers out side!

The Lancer was in good company... Two early 70's VW Beetle 911t's :lol:

Pulled put the stock cam...

The lobes on the Cam 4 had a bit more lift then the stock Cam 1... But the duration (the fatness of the lobe) was monstrous!!! Seeing the side by side of the two cams was enough to make me very excited...

The Cam gear and the Cam gear adaptor to use the chain type cam in a belt driven engine. Adaptor sourced from Ichiban Motors in Banaue... 700 Pesos for the win! brows

Took our sweet time and enjoyed the process. Cleaned and replaced Everything up front- All the oil seals, Belt tensioner and timing belt.

The Monster Cam sitting in position!

No more pics after this point 'cause I got my hands dirty helping out reassemble everything. Killed off the last remnant of the the A/C... The crank pulley which removed a few more KG's of rotating mass from the engine. Had to do some major retuning of everything- Valve lash and timing. Currently running a few degrees ATDC. cheers to @Oldie for SMS-ing me the Cam cap torque specs!

We finished up almost 7pm already. The guys at SMT work past shop hours on the car which is awesome! I still have to bring the car back after I've had the chance to feel out the powerband and driving with the new cam so we can re tune again.

Here's a little teaser video from my cam phone hehehe...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l0YfbCZB9c

The poweband is a but high in the rev range... Starts pulling at 4000 RPM and was revving to 7500 RPM like nothing- and was still asking for more! I have a feeling this cam peaks at around 8k which is frustrating because I'm currently restricted to shift at 7k to avoid blowing the engine and valve float. Can feel the power is there but can't touch it until a few more upgrades are done!!! Ahhh!!!!!!!!!

I got this too from a good buddy of mine (swapped from some used tires) brows 80's style groovy Ilumation Tach to serve as a sort of shift light to remind me not to stay past teh red line (too long)

Next project: Get a surplus head. Shaves, PnP, Big valves, Double Valve springs and port match to manifold! moneyflies

www.1stgenlancer.co.nr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:50 pm 

Nice, Do you have the 4G37 engine over there. That would give much larger valves to start with.

faster, Faster, FASTER, Over the hill and accelerating.
http://classiccolt.forumcircle.com
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Old-Colt
www.ffmsd.com

Post subject: Cam 4
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:54 am 

Is that how to figure out what kind of cam by checking onthe stamp behind
it? cause I got a cam from a friend w/ a stamp saying 3 at the back. Wheres SMT are they specializing in modifying motors. what else do they do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:53 am 
JNC Fanatic

what are the specs on that cam?

87 Montero swb turbo, 1987 Minicab van Supercharged
86 mighty max 4x4
84, 85, and 86 lancer ex1800 turbo
78 lancer
73 galant coupe
65 Debonair Deluxe
80's Hero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:55 am 

@Old Colt, Thanks for the tip! Will check! :D

@Dax, Yes! It's stamped on the back (the end towards the firewall) What you have is a Cam 3 then! That should give you a nice lumpy idle too. One of the guys at the 1stGenLancer forum used to run a Cam 3 with a Single Side Draft.

@City hunter, Sorry don't know the exact specs, but compared to the stocker, it's got a bit more lift and a hell of alot more duration!

www.1stgenlancer.co.nr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:52 am 
JNC Fanatic

Know where anymore of those adapters are? :)

87 Montero swb turbo, 1987 Minicab van Supercharged
86 mighty max 4x4
84, 85, and 86 lancer ex1800 turbo
78 lancer
73 galant coupe
65 Debonair Deluxe
80's Hero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:35 pm 

city hunter wrote:
Know where anymore of those adapters are? :)

That's the one to use a chain type cam in a belt type engine... Got mine from Ichiban Motors has 'em http://ichibanmotors.com/ 1 day to order. don't know if they still have. Cost me 700 Pesos (about 45 to US $1 last I checked)

www.1stgenlancer.co.nr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:58 pm 
Called up Icihiban and they have one in stock for Php700 also :D

Did yours come with the gear and the lock? Can the original gear and lock be used on the adaptor?

Are the ones from Ichiban "decently" balanced? I have one from another source which is way off balanced :( Caused the camshaft to wobble heavily so I had to remove it.

Thanks and regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:36 am 

Shogun wrote:
Called up Icihiban and they have one in stock for Php700 also :D

Did yours come with the gear and the lock? Can the original gear and lock be used on the adaptor?

Are the ones from Ichiban "decently" balanced? I have one from another source which is way off balanced :( Caused the camshaft to wobble heavily so I had to remove it.

Thanks and regards

Sorry for the late reply.

I got my adaptor with the spacer and extra long bolt needed to install it. You can use the orig Cam gear (as I did). the One I got from Ichiban was perfectly balanced. "decently" won't work for me.

www.1stgenlancer.co.nr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:23 am 

dog283 said 'The poweband is a but high in the rev range... Starts pulling at 4000 RPM and was revving to 7500 RPM like nothing- and was still asking for more! I have a feeling this cam peaks at around 8k which is frustrating because I'm currently restricted to shift at 7k to avoid blowing the engine and valve float. Can feel the power is there but can't touch it until a few more upgrades are done!!! Ahhh!!!!!!!!!'

I've got a No.5 cam in my garage and I measured the lobes, the sides and peak of the lobes are the same as the standard cam, so no higher lift, but the duration of the lift is about twice that of standard. I was going to try it in my motor but it sounds like I'm wasting my time with the carbies and lack of mods that I have...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:34 pm 

I just put the cam in today, and been for a drive. All it seems to have done is widened the rev range. With the carbies I'm running the redline is at about 6500rpm, where before it was about 5500rpm. I think distributor mods may help as it is still standard atm.
It made it better to drive and more cruisy. My wagon has never been about speed, so I'm happy with the result.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]